MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog's new product - System on a Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Moog's new product - System on a Module
Stepan Dvoracek
Hi, Moog is apparently not very far from releasing a new product. From what I learned it is going to run on Linux embedded pc with a gui made in JUCE. They couldn't obviously share any info about the hardware, but at the end of the video there's a hint, where Mr. Gaynes describes it as a "System on a Module". My guess is that it will be a digital module modelling many of the hardware modules with a clever user interface. And I am cofident it's gonna be great based on what these gentlemen already have done.
What do you think?

https://youtu.be/jq7zUKEcyzI?t=49m48s

Rocksitter
I always hate that, if you dont want to talk about it or cant just dont bring it up until you can please. hahaah
AW198
Come on man, this thread will literally be just guesswork. Why bother?
Rex Coil 7
Yea, I prefer the way Roger Arrick at Synthesizers.Com does things ..... no new product announcements until it's on the shelf, awaiting orders.
Paul Perry
Moog are pretty tough corporate players. The point of teasers & mystery in advance of release, is to discourage anyone contemplating new gear from being able to make a buying decision until release.
revtor
Like the Aira fx modules customizer?
OPT
https://youtu.be/brBYhjwltdo

Mikeyg3k
If Amos and Gert are behind something new, that’s all I need to know to be very excited!!
calaveras
I somehow doubt it's going to model hardware? That's not really Moog's stock in trade. Rather for quite a while now it's been very normal synth architectures under microprocessor control. Such as the Lil Phatty, Taurus III, Sub 37, Sub Phatty etc. Even their 'Eurorack' Mother32 has a MCU on board.
Perhaps it will be a number of oscs, VCAs, LFOs and such under numerical control.

There is some precedent a modeled synth. Moog has the Filtatron, Model 15 and Animoog Apps. But these are relatively cheap. I think Model 15 is the most expensive. So folks are buying these Moog apps in addition to the other hardware units that they own. And running them on hardware (mobile device) that they are already using to play solitaire or Tinder/Grindr.

A Cortex or Intel based embedded PC is not mindblowingly cheap. I'm thinking around $100+ wholesale. Which would make the retail product several times that when you include a chassis, OLED display w/touch, storage etc. So maybe $400-600 depending on size of display.
Given the present surfeit of analog desktop synths I'm skeptical of a market for a Moog modeling synth. Their primary market seems to be people who are after a specific analog thing.
solusarpus
it seems pretty obvious to me that they are describing a new memorymoog/ flagship polysynth. with analog filters at least, maybe oscs, but some kind of enhanced animoog thing with a touchscreen interface and hardware knobs. all of the lfos/envs etc will be digital, maybe there will be modeled moogerfooger style effects? but yeah the software/ hardware hybrid mention makes me think polysynth
calaveras
Yeah that makes a lot more sense. The oscs and filter must be analog. But only total dickheads (it me) insist that the LFOs and envelopes must also be analog.
Isn't that how the majority of their synths already work though?
An MCU spitting out numerical control of analog components, with multifunction pots and buttons in many cases.
solusarpus
calaveras wrote:
Yeah that makes a lot more sense. The oscs and filter must be analog. But only total dickheads (it me) insist that the LFOs and envelopes must also be analog.
Isn't that how the majority of their synths already work though?
An MCU spitting out numerical control of analog components, with multifunction pots and buttons in many cases.

their progression over the past few years seems to point to this- well received apps (animoog, model 15) as well as their hardware synths, which are nice, if not groundbreaking at this point. I believe I've read that a totally hardware polysynth would be prohibitively expensive, but I think that they could swing one with significant digital aspects at this point. Their narrative will be "we bring you the best of both worlds." Also, other modeled synths have been well- received: dsi prophet 12, pro 2, etc
calaveras
DSI prophet 12 and pro 2 arent modeled.
They are analog architecture with digital stuff jammed in.
The VCA and filter are still analog. It's just the oscs and some effects.
If you are an analog purist, which one of my personalities is. Then you might say fuck that, I want 100% digital. Most of the time I'm a pragmatist. I want the analog stuff that plays to analog strengths and digital stuff playing to digital strengths.
For reals tho, if you want an example of modeled, Nord anything, Elektron Machinedrum and Monomachine. Half of what a Blofeld does, Alesis Micron and Ion. Roland Boutique except for the SE02 and D05. etc.
The entire sound is mathed in the processor. Filter, amp, osc etc.
BillyB909
Afraid nothing about what Moog have done in their revival interests me particularly. Where you have a whole world of innovative independent Eurorack designers trying to push the envelope, why spend your cash on those trying to milk the brand?

This is a bit harsh clearly, but you get my point. hmmm.....
chvad
Not everyone wants everything to be innovative. Sometimes they want a thing that does a thing that they heard somewhere else and that they like. That's why people buy a Marshall or a Fender or a Moog. Nothing wrong with that and I don't think it's really milking anything... it's supplying what a group of people want. Some people want something else. Euro has some of that. It also has a whole lot of the bread and butter stuff as well. I think it's all fine and dandy.

On point... if Moog went whole hog digital animoog poly or a hybrid poly of some kind... that'd be pretty neat. A lot of the digital feature set on the Sub37 is really great. That stuff in a whacked out animoog hardware space would be pretty killer.
solusarpus
to calaveras: no those aren't modeled, I should have said hybrid. My point was that other synth companies have done seemingly well with hybrids recently (at least they weren't laughed out of town), and moog may think that they can do something impressive with a hardware poly that takes the animoog to the next level somehow. The more that I think about it, the less I think that it will be an attempt at a direct memory moog update, but I do think that it will be a polysynth with at least a toe in the analog realm, likely vcfs, the new overdrive on the sub 37 etc, maybe even analog oscillators that can be used as well as the sorta wavetable setup in the animoog. and they'll likely make sure it has that moog low end...
GuyaGuy
chvad wrote:
Not everyone wants everything to be innovative. Sometimes they want a thing that does a thing that they heard somewhere else and that they like. That's why people buy a Marshall or a Fender or a Moog. Nothing wrong with that and I don't think it's really milking anything... it's supplying what a group of people want. Some people want something else. Euro has some of that. It also has a whole lot of the bread and butter stuff as well. I think it's all fine and dandy.

On point... if Moog went whole hog digital animoog poly or a hybrid poly of some kind... that'd be pretty neat. A lot of the digital feature set on the Sub37 is really great. That stuff in a whacked out animoog hardware space would be pretty killer.

Yup. There's a reason Marshall, Fender, and Moog are still loved. And you don't always need the most innovative gizmo to make the most innovative music.

At the same time, I think people overlook how much new stuff is packed into new Moogs--like looping EGs, variable wave VCOs, deep mod matrix, mod sequence, FM, multi-mode filter, and "touch a knob to route" UI on the Sub37.
mousegarden
solusarpus wrote:
it seems pretty obvious to me that they are describing a new memorymoog/ flagship polysynth. with analog filters at least, maybe oscs, but some kind of enhanced animoog thing with a touchscreen interface and hardware knobs. all of the lfos/envs etc will be digital, maybe there will be modeled moogerfooger style effects? but yeah the software/ hardware hybrid mention makes me think polysynth

I think I've become rather excited, Animoog with knobs?.....

Band
dc_Sux
mousegarden wrote:
solusarpus wrote:

Band

^ This.
Animoog is great. I think I would have a hard time trying to resist a full hardware version.
Knobs and a versatile capacitive touch keyboard/interface SlayerBadger!
solusarpus
^ This.
Animoog is great. I think I would have a hard time trying to resist a full hardware version.
Knobs and a versatile capacitive touch keyboard/interface SlayerBadger![/quote]

I was wondering this as well; do they go for a 61 key fatar or something more like a seaboard rise? the keyboard on the animoog is pretty cool, but would it be suicide to release a synth without a keybed? depending on the size of the screen, perhaps they could include a touch keyboard ala animoog as well as a fatar keyboard...
mousegarden
dc_Sux wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
solusarpus wrote:

Band

^ This.
Knobs and a versatile capacitive touch keyboard/interface SlayerBadger!

Doesn't bare thinking about, whatever this will cost put me down for one! I'll eat porridge for a year if necessary!
grep
mousegarden wrote:
solusarpus wrote:

Band

Like this?

http://www.synth-project.de/animoog.html
mousegarden
grep wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
solusarpus wrote:

Band

Like this?

http://www.synth-project.de/animoog.html

Oh no, it will have to have some sort of keyboard with front to back sensitivity, like the Animoog, and maybe a ribbon too.
umma gumma
seems to me Moog were mostly talking about using that technology to prototype products, and make manufacturing more efficient?

ie: using software to emulate the UI until everything was ironed out in the design, and THEN actually building a hardware interface
solusarpus
umma gumma wrote:
seems to me Moog were mostly talking about using that technology to prototype products, and make manufacturing more efficient?

ie: using software to emulate the UI until everything was ironed out in the design, and THEN actually building a hardware interface

I think that amos specifically mentions that it's being used in a new product at some point in the video, in response to a question from someone asking to see said new product; also, there have been rumors on other forums that there is a "new polymoog" being worked up...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2