MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Klein Bottle pedal looper, mixer - crazy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Klein Bottle pedal looper, mixer - crazy
soundinett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xXUcbK6pwg&t=6s

This is a great concept.
(Although I´m a bit disappointed by the Knobs presentation)
sduck
Yes, I watched the knobs video last night. It took me way too long to figure out what the pedal was all about, but once I got it, it makes sense. Seems very useful, or something like that.
soundinett
Í´ll go for Klein Bottle.

Love devices that break the alltime serial pedal chain, i.g. Dwarfcraft Loop Mangler , Pigronix Keymaster or the incredible 4ms Bendmatrix. They allow parallel and/or serial chaining of two or more pedals and support a modular paradigm in the pedal world.

Klein Bottle also supports that paradigm. 3 pedals interconnected in different ways. Great for surprising or self evolving soundscapes.
Some CV in/out would be nice.
GovernorSilver
Looks like a viable solution for pedal owners who don't want to get a mixer with 3 or more aux sends. The feedback stuff and filters are a nice touch.
adolfgottmann
Watched the videos in a hurry, so I'm not 100% shure, but I think a matrix mixer would do the same tricks (?)
GovernorSilver
adolfgottmann wrote:
Watched the videos in a hurry, so I'm not 100% shure, but I think a matrix mixer would do the same tricks (?)

Any mixer with at least 3 aux sends, with individual level controls for each aux send on each channel - at least for the feedback part. You would of course use up at least 3 mixer inputs, because the output of each aux chain would go to a mixer input instead of an aux return, in order to be able to send its signal out to another aux bus.
scozbor
DAMN I missed the kickstarter...
Wish I had seen this earlier - looks amazing!!!
Gripp
I'm in for a DIY kit It's peanut butter jelly time!

Good that the goal for shipping those are in May.
I've got a new neck that needs to meet my strat, the same strat wanting other pickups and possibly another bridge, a bunch of other DIY pedals and a pedalboard that needs to be built...
notjoesuthers
If only I had the space on my pedalboard to fit one of these...
GGW
It's doing some interesting things but, as adolfgottmann says above, it's a 3X3 matrix mixer.
Slothrop
So, has anyone else got one of these?

Slightly sad news is that VFE as a company is going on indefinite hiatus for family reasons, so they aren't going to be producing any more pedals. Good news is that they've still got stock of the Klein Bottle up for sale on their Reverb shop.

Anyway, mine arrived on Monday and first impressions are that it's pretty great. I basically got it to play around with multiple delay / looper type pedals, looping, mangling and resampling drones and noises, and it does that to a T. It also seems to be able to do no-input noise via feedback loops, although I haven't played around with that enough to work out how usable / controllable it is. It might be overkill if you just want to run pedals in parallel, though, now there's an EHX thing that does that for less money.

The only drawback is that the per channel filters only affect the main input, and not the full mix that goes to the send - for my purposes, I'd far rather they were immediately before the send or immediately after the return. For people who have the DIY kit - have you got any idea how hard would this be to mod? (A partial workaround for this is to use one of the returns for the instrument input and the instrument input for one of the returns, but that's frankly too mindbending to be practical...)

On mixers - genuine question, what are some compact options with 3+ sends on a tight budget? And aren't you going to have to worry about instrument vs line levels? I mean, I can see that the Klein Bottle is functionally equivalent to a 3x3 matrix mixer, but I haven't seen a practical alternative that pedal users could just plug into for less money...
soundinett
Patchulator 8000 is a good inexpensive alternative.
Technologear?
Slothrop wrote:

On mixers - genuine question, what are some compact options with 3+ sends on a tight budget? And aren't you going to have to worry about instrument vs line levels? I mean, I can see that the Klein Bottle is functionally equivalent to a 3x3 matrix mixer, but I haven't seen a practical alternative that pedal users could just plug into for less money...

I look at that pedal and think "why only 1 input"?

Once you conceptually shift your mindset from 'instrument + pedals' to 'everything connected and routed through my mixer' it gets more fun. Why shouldn't a guitar be routed through a mixer, then onwards through fx?

I've found it hard learning about aux sends and feedback loops because I assumed I should use Aux Returns - returning fx into other channels for more routing is super fun. And similarly worried about levels, impedance, blah blah - just connect it all up and go for it, troubleshoot only if you need to (dirty power supplies for my pedals has been my only issue).

Go check out the active Mackie mixer thread over in General. Relevant discussion.
Slothrop
In practice it's four inputs. It's assumed that three of them will be used as part of send/return pairs, but if you wanted to use them completely independently then there'd be nothing stopping you apart from slightly weird ergonomics. From my point of view, though, being send and return to pedals makes sense, because sending and returning to pedals - mostly delays and creative loopers - is precisely what I want to do. Record some string scrapes and muted plucks on a glitchy looper here and run them through a delay there while a bassline bops along somewhere else. Create a feedback loop between these two pedals, capture the sound in a looper over there, return it to one or both of the original pedals for processing while layering more sounds onto the loop. I'm not sure what else I'd do if I had something desk-shaped rather than pedal-shaped?

And even after looking at the 1604 thread I'm not sure that there's a more flexible option there that's comparably cheap and portable?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1