MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX and Eurorack Audio Integration
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX and Eurorack Audio Integration
jambirn
Hi Guys,
Video newbie here, but totally fascinated by the possibility of expanding my Euro audio rig into the video realm. Sound and vision united.
Question...to what extent do the CV inputs on a number of modules (like Shapechanger and Navigator, for example) allow for a user to truly morph visuals with Euro audio? I'd like to create reactive visuals, triggered by Eurorack-generated rhythms. I don't see too many CV inputs for modulation possibilities as you would see in many Euro audio modules, but I know that's a big part of these modules. How do you use LZX modules together with your Euro audio?
Thank you--
Jim
nerdware
Everything is modulation if you're brave enough.
jambirn
Understood, Nerdware. Can you or anyone else tell me how you use CV inputs on your video modules? I ask because I don't see too many CV inputs on these modules, but I know that's a big part of the user experience.
Joe.
srsly never

Controlling the modulation index (the amplitude of a signal that is modulating another signal) is one way that you can integrate your audio modular into your video modular rig when there are limited inputs, that are intended for video signals.

Instead of having one video oscillator FM'ing a second Video oscillator you could pass the signal through a VCA first, and then control the amplitude using an ADSR that also happens to be controlling a filter.

LZX modules do have plenty of VC inputs intended for 'normal' modulation though, once a Euro signal is scaled appropriately there's plenty of possibilities... Just imagine all of the parameters that could be synchronised with a VCO's vibrato for example, if you multed the LFO and had it assigned to a control.
jambirn
Thanks so much, LoFi.
If it's not too much of a hassle, if someone could post a video that demonstrates some interesting patching to create reactive visuals with their Eurorack audio rig, I'd appreciate it!
Joe.
Final 15 seconds of this is a great example of audio modulation being applied to LZX modules at the same time.

jambirn
Thanks so much for the post, Lofi!
strutter
Envelope followers are very useful for getting the visuals to "become one" with the audio patch. The doepfer A-119 is pretty handy because of the gain and threshold adjustments and the gate out.
tenshun
I like using sequential switches with my Video synth set up.
The doepfer 151 is really good with this also the Ryo paths will work as well.

You can take the ramp outputs from the visual cortex and put them into the sequential switch and have them anitmated by clock pulses or random triggers.

Or the output from the sequential switch and put it into the input of the staircase module and have it animate the shapes of that.

Also i Noticed really slow modulation like the Nonlinear circuits Sloth works well for making stuff morph you just have to attenuate the control voltage signal before using it with lzx stuff because it can wash alot of colors out.
nerdware
Yes, I have 2 Sloths for this reason. One fast (16s) and one slow (16m). They just need some healthy attenuation.

BTW, just before seeing this post, I was thinking about how the TTA One could be used with the Sensory Translator to get a set of selectable envelopes. I don't have a One, so I can't test that idea (yet). You could use the audio samples directly, I guess. I don't have many "proper" audio modules, but that does tempt me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1