Live at CRATER LAB Barcelona (Just intonation modular synth)

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Bosavi
Common Wiggler

Live at CRATER LAB Barcelona (Just intonation modular synth)

Post by Bosavi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi:

This is my live set for "Visions in meditation" at CRATER LAB (Barcelona). It was dedicated to the wonderful film director Stan Brakhage.
I used two euroracks with a Hinton Pinxix 15x15.
Modular synths were tuned in just intonation tunig. With proportions such as 3/2, 32/27, 16/9, ... and A = 426.6 Hz.
I think that ER-101 is perfect to experiment with just intonation tunings, in a fairly approximate way. For better accuracy I used iStroboSoft (tuning Peterson Strobe). Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/j-l-maire/171028-jlmaire

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 am

dual harmonic osc, whoa! does that make getting the right intervals for just intonation easier?

Bosavi
Common Wiggler

Post by Bosavi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:28 pm

dual harmonic osc, whoa! does that make getting the right intervals for just intonation easier?
Hi, no, I'm afraid not. The HVCO Verbos are wonderful modules, but with respect to just-intonation tuning they only offer 7 harmonics. In addition, as it's normal for the operation of the module, they are tuned in relation to the fundamental frequency. In the concert I used some modules for a single note or sequenced with the ER-101 that allows you enough precision for tuning.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”