MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Micro / uRings?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Micro / uRings?
2disbetter
Now that clouds has been squished to 8hp, I'm wondering if anyone knows if someone has done the same with rings?

2d
Southfork
I think the consensus was from that it wasn't worth the effort as it's pretty cramped as is unless you want to use storky pots for every parameter, same with elements.

Shrinking is a pretty simple process though for anyone with some knowledge of electronics and cad so even if the current crop of miniaturisers don't fancy it, someone else might step up.
hawkfuzz
Hoping for Tides
DMR
hawkfuzz wrote:
Hoping for Tides

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/8hp-tides-up-and-running/13165
Nino
hawkfuzz wrote:
Hoping for Tides

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/8hp-tides-up-and-running/13165
Nino
haha ^^
Granny
bump
behndy
would looooooooove a tinier rings. even down to 10 hp would be awesome.

such a beautiful sounding module.
hawkfuzz
12hp but it's smaller...
behndy
lol. okay. maybe it's not worth it unless it's down to 8hp.

i dunno. to me a smaller Rings makes more sense. when i use it as an oscillator (primarily), i find a tone i use then mebbe modulate it a little with cv, but little to none knob widdlins.

so.

like.

gimme.
Granny
2 down

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-12hp-diy-rings-module-by-o livier-gillet-pcb-by-flavio-mireles
RLK
I put this together a while back just for fun as a design challenge - trying to fit the Mutable lineup (including recent discontinues) into 120 hp.
Some caveats:
>While I did make sure real components would fit in the spaces, I don't know how plausible these designs really are.
>To fit everything- I made single versions of some of the "dual" modules, and did "2/3rd" versions of some of the utilities and logic.
>While I did use the µBraids that is already out there, I already had versions of Clouds and Frames together before I knew of the ones being produced.

behndy
give me that uWarp and uRing.

GIMME.
RecycleYourPets
Like the look of that uShelves
Nino
Seriously, what is the problem with rackspace?
I mean those micro versions wouldn't draw less current...

What is it?

"Man, my hands are sooo tiny, these µ's really help me to save time."

"I have 2893 modules and with the micro versions my rack finally will be portable."

"I hate it when i have easy access to the jacks during a patch – my tweezers stare at me when i don't use them."

Don't get me wrong, i'm just curious. Skate or die!

@ RLK: What program have you used to design this? I like your approach on Frames.
behndy
lol. i feel you. i have big hands, so of course a bigger, more spacious, knob-friendly (woooooo) space is better.

but.

like.

more modules?
jschussler
Nino wrote:

The problem is we don't all have entire rooms dedicated to the modular, but still like adding to the system. And in many cases, the space dedicated to some functions is far more than necessary for "big hands."

If I had Junkie XL's studio, I'd totally stick with bigger modules. I'd like having more space and not having to weed through a dense thicket of patch cords.

But I don't. So I look for smaller modules. Given the choice between larger modules and fewer of them, or smaller modules but cramped quarters, I'm coming down on the cramped quarters side.
behndy
that. well said suh. space. at a PREMIUM.

also, things like Rings, which i LOVE, i find a toanz i want to use for a patch then leave it. or modulate it with CV. so. would be happppppy to get it down to 8 hp.
Xinod
would love a uGrids! I understand the ergonomics behind it but it just don’t fit, can’t give it 16hp
RLK
Yep, everyone has different criteria.
Honestly, for me, most of the original MI designs are perfect as is, but nothing wrong with options.
I use CorelDraw.

Nino wrote:
I mean those micro versions wouldn't draw less current...

What is it?

"Man, my hands are sooo tiny, these µ's really help me to save time."

"I have 2893 modules and with the micro versions my rack finally will be portable."

"I hate it when i have easy access to the jacks during a patch – my tweezers stare at me when i don't use them."

Don't get me wrong, i'm just curious. Skate or die!

@ RLK: What program have you used to design this? I like your approach on Frames.
DonKartofflo
Im not usuall judging these kinds of things but to me all these micro versions seem like a bullshit attempt to circumvent the rule against commercializing copies of oliviers open source designs. And of course its again blue lantern making them.
There is literally no work involved apart from squeezing the smd layout into a slightly smaller one. Flavio mireles "micro rings" is literally 2hp smaller. Congratufuckinglations.
I see more "diy" elements that i see factory built ones because people are building them for others which is essentially just commercial copying of designs made open source for people to learn and improve upon.
I think this is very bad practice and should not be encouraged.
behndy
not saying you don't have any valid points, but uClouds is 8hp, Planks is 8hp, uBraids is 8hp.....

for someone like me with limited room, being able to fit 2 uMI modules in the same space 1 og version takes up is BOSS.
2disbetter
behndy wrote:
not saying you don't have any valid points, but uClouds is 8hp, Planks is 8hp, uBraids is 8hp.....

for someone like me with limited room, being able to fit 2 uMI modules in the same space 1 og version takes up is BOSS.

This. And honestly these are digital modules (meaning miniaturization is more easily possible), if there is a demand for people who wants cramped front panels, why fight it? If MI made them, I would buy them without reserve. As it is I've only bought a micro version after getting the regular one from MI.

I admit that it is bad form to profit off of those small modules, but on the flipside, eurorack seems to be one of the few places, where if you really don't like something or want it different, it's possible.

2d
lisa
Very interesting, this. I'd expect the focus to be on usability rather than the hp. A small module with many functions can have a clever layout and be very usable but many of them are very cramped.

Rings isn't a huge module. And the idea to have ten knobs and ten in- or outputs in 8 hp sounds like a nightmare to me. I use the knobs though. oops

So are you guys always prioritizing a small hp footprint? When you want to get a new module you'll start by looking at and probably go for something in the 2-4 hp range? I mean, 2 hp is tons better than 8 hp if your main focus is size.
Zymos
Flavio also added CV control to Peaks, which is very cool. Several folks are making micro versions of Clouds and Braids, and they seem to be popular. If Olivier doesn't have a problem with these, why should anyone else?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3