Idea for cheap rack lighting

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Idea for cheap rack lighting

Post by wetterberg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm

okay, been examining which diy projects I can pull off for the least amount of money...

Get a usb jack, like the cool Neutrik panel-mount ones, feed standard usb voltage (I believe that's) 5v to it from a voltage regulator, and then you can simply plug in the VERY cheap USB laptop gooseneck lights. They're usually around what, <10 euro?

You could make a very small panel with 3 usb connectors on the front and light up a very big rig from that one spot.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Okay I have a question (remember I'm a total noob on he DIY shit):

If I wanted to build this into a Frac Rack ear, and wire it to the Blacet PSU, how the hell would I go about doing this. I need instructions, dammit!

:help:

Great idea though, as I said on Twitter.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:21 pm

well dammit, I haven't researched anything yet :) The breadboard would be power connector -> Voltage regulator ->usb plug. It's about as easy as a circuit could be*

*words expressed here are not the words of someone qualified to say anything about electricity.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Definitely seems straightforward. Eh I'll learn what I need to know as I go (like everything in my life!) :coffee:

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:13 pm

my list of to-do's that require some tiny part that I don't have in my parts bins is getting ridiculously long!

Tomorrow I'll start drafting a list of items... i'm anticipating hundreds of euros worth of little doodads. :bang:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”