MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Live 10 only compatible with 10.11.x and up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Live 10 only compatible with 10.11.x and up
oisin
just dowloaded the beta to mess around and was unpleasantly surprised by this. im not into updating past 10.9.5 and i know a bunch of other producers who are still on that build too. im surprised ableton would do that.. or maybe theres a good explanation. .

after all the horror stories ive heard about sierra etc, im weary of updating my system since this one is so stable. maybe its time to think about finally getting a windows together.. confused
rod_zero
The explanation is that Apple themselves no longer support it, so it is hard for a developer to do it.
listentoaheartbeat
Sierra is fantastic. Also heard only good things about High Sierra from a friend who does studio work all day, every day. As long as there are no warnings from relevant software companies, I don't see why you would not update to the most recent macOS. It is contradicting to desire a stable system but at the same time ask manufacturers to support old versions of a OS. Stability requires extensive QA, which can only be provided for a limited number of testing environments. Current OS versions are the obvious choice to optimize for.
Luap
oisin wrote:

after all the horror stories ive heard about sierra etc

What horror stories? Don't think i've seen them. Sierra has been working just dandy here with a truck load of different audio software.
I've not updated to High Sierra though. Apple updates their OS's too often for my liking, so im on the alternate update cycle these days.
phase ghost
I recently went from 10.9.5 right to 10.12.6. I'm running Logic, Numerology, Max, and a shit load of plugins. I've had exactly zero problems with anything. I'd say it's pretty safe to move to, and I'm usually very cautious about upgrading.
rowsbywoof
I'm still on Sierra, but likewise, no issues what-so-ever. I'm holding back on High Sierra because of the up-and-coming 32bit kill off, but really, that won't be much of a problem and I'm sure 32Lives will get updated to support whatever High Sierra dishes out.
smithknows
My solution is a dual boot system.
I’ve got 10.9 so I can run Pro Tools 10 and older stuff that I’m not ready to update.
Then on another partition I have Sierra so I can run New fancy stuff like Ableton and Komplete.
CF3
Looks like I'll just squeak under the line w/ 10.11.6, but my days are numbered for sure. I can't go past that because of my computer cry

Unfortunately it's just part of dealing with computers. I was clinging to 10.6 forever and was forced to upgrade. I really can't fault Ableton too much.
oisin
good to hear that there are some happy sierra users out there. . ill probably upgrade eventually but not just for live 10. sometimes you almost wish for a hard drive crash (knock on wood) very frustrating
mt3
No issues with Sierra here either.
FREE OS updates. Compromises will happen.
aaooaa
I'm on High Sierra and haven't encountered a single problem, in fact both Ableton 9 and the 10 beta feel like they're running way smoother with lower CPU usage. If you're not running ancient versions of plugins or software and your interface has supported drivers I don't really see the need to hold off. Why not just test it, back up everything and create a bootable USB installer of your current OS just in case you want to revert.

Edit: Actually I remembered one issue, because of the new OS filing structure, plugin presets are no longer shown in alphabetical order. Pretty annoying but not a huge problem.
Richie Jape
i still have an old laptop running live 8 on 10.6.8 lol

but on my new-ish laptop here (2014) i reluctantly updated from 10.11.4 to high sierra to use ableton 10 and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised at how stable it is ..

ableton even feels a little less cpu heavy

regarding ableton 10 - groups within groups and better max integration are winning me over for sure //

This is fun!
deltaphoenix
The features are cool and it sounds great:
flippantminister
deltaphoenix wrote:
The features are cool and it sounds great:

This shit made my day.
Tristana
Luap wrote:
What horror stories? Don't think i've seen them.

I had an easier time installing High Sierra on my Hackintosh than I did on my official (late 2011) Macbook Pro.

With the MBP, the High Sierra installer would continually crash out, and there was no way to boot back into the OS.

Apple support couldn't find a solution that'd preserve the computer, despite the MBP still being in the window of supported hardware. Ultimately, the only way to keep the computer from being a brick was to wipe its hard drive and reinstall and old OS over the internet. Wasn't a problem for me as I had no important data on there that wasn't backed up, but I presume it'd be horrifying for some.

Also, I was later able to get High Sierra running on that MBP by installing it from a USB drive after wiping the hard drive again, but the performance was terrible- boot times that lasted ages, continual freezing, visual artifacts/glitching abound... I wiped it once more and just went back to El Capitan.

Now, granted- this was an older computer that doesn't really meet modern specs of what a "music production" computer should be (though it served that purpose fine for a while). It is concerning, though, that Apple would release an installer you can't escape from that people have had issues running on their official hardware.

All that said, my "iMac late 2015" *winkwinknudgenudge* is running High Sierra just fine despite totally being a completely legitimate, in no way self-built Apple computer.
Luap
Tristana wrote:
Luap wrote:
What horror stories? Don't think i've seen them.

I had an easier time installing High Sierra on my Hackintosh than I did on my official (late 2011) Macbook Pro.

With the MBP, the High Sierra installer would continually crash out, and there was no way to boot back into the OS.

Apple support couldn't find a solution that'd preserve the computer, despite the MBP still being in the window of supported hardware. Ultimately, the only way to keep the computer from being a brick was to wipe its hard drive and reinstall and old OS over the internet. Wasn't a problem for me as I had no important data on there that wasn't backed up, but I presume it'd be horrifying for some.

Also, I was later able to get High Sierra running on that MBP by installing it from a USB drive after wiping the hard drive again, but the performance was terrible- boot times that lasted ages, continual freezing, visual artifacts/glitching abound... I wiped it once more and just went back to El Capitan.

Now, granted- this was an older computer that doesn't really meet modern specs of what a "music production" computer should be (though it served that purpose fine for a while). It is concerning, though, that Apple would release an installer you can't escape from that people have had issues running on their official hardware.

All that said, my "iMac late 2015" *winkwinknudgenudge* is running High Sierra just fine despite totally being a completely legitimate, in no way self-built Apple computer.

Thanks for that. I've been contemplating going the Hackintosh route myself lately so thats good info.
I still haven't tried High Sierra in any shape or form tho. I've stuck with regular Sierra as its been working perfectly well here (On a 2012 Macmini i7)
For the most part, I only upgrade once Apple has bent my arm enough to make me feel like I have to..
rod_zero
I installed High Sierra and had a similar problem with a 2014 Macbook air, the main problem is that high sierra introduces a new file format and when it reboots it gets corrupted (after the update).

I went to a mac store and they say they could do it in under an hour for 35 USD but it was late and couldn't make it for that day. I begged the tech guy at the apple store until he gave me the tips: before making any new installation delete all partitions and reformat to the new file format then install high Sierra again. It is easier if you have a USB drive but it is possible to do from the internet.
Tristana
rod_zero wrote:
the main problem is that high sierra introduces a new file format and when it reboots it gets corrupted (after the update).

Interesting. Perhaps High Sierra tried its APFS formatting on my MBP's HDD despite Apple saying it's only recommended for SSDs. Would explain why it had awful performance when I *did* get the OS to install. I wonder if there's a way to force an HFS+ (mac OS extended, the prior format) High Sierra install.
Hanz
Coming from a well-running Hackintosh running Yosemite, going to High Sierra definitely was not the easy experience I was hoping for. Possibly due to older hardware (legacy bios, Intel I7 920 on X58) or from switching to Clover - in any case, it took me a few days (building custom DSDT, figuring out ACPI and NVRAM, finding correct Nvidia settings) to get everything stable and running sufficiently practical for everyday work. Oh well, learned a few new tricks in the process...
Still - Ableton 10 installation went smoothly and it sure looks impressive with the amount of updates to Push 2! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1