MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frap Tools 321 Scale + Flip + Shift + Combine
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Frap Tools 321 Scale + Flip + Shift + Combine
mdoudoroff
A clever new attenuator, inverter, offset, and summer module for people with itty bitty fingers.

http://frap.tools/products/321/

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tools-321-

Multi Grooves
Sadly got to say goodbye to my case that has a 1u row, hence my Quadratt.

So in the market for something to replace it. My short list consists of the 321, HN 3x M.I.A, Mutable Blind and Befaco diy...Visually my preference is the Frap but I don't see anything for sale in the UK. Shame
L.C.O.
I am interested in this, but it does not appear to be available anywhere at the moment. Correct?
Multi Grooves
Not quite, I've just put in an order with ze Germans at Schneiders...
Multi Grooves
L.C.O. wrote:
I am interested in this, but it does not appear to be available anywhere at the moment. Correct?

In fact Simone just said that there is a shipment imminent at PCA...assuming you're stateside.
Summa
L.C.O. wrote:

wasn't this announced earlier this week? patience my friends.. lol w00t
starthief
I don't know if anyone else got theirs before now, but mine just arrived.

My favorite module in this space previously was 3x MIA. With two inputs per channel and concentric bipolar pots, it can mix, attenuvert/offset, or act as a voltage source; flip a switch and the output of one channel is mixed into the next. Its one flaw is zeroing with the bipolar pots; if you want to guarantee zero offset you need a dummy cable. Also I find the glare from the shiny knobs often obscures the indicator lines.

321 is a bit different. There's one input per channel rather than two, and mini knobs rather than concentric ones. The attenuation knob is unipolar with an inverter switch; the offset knob is bipolar with a disable switch. There's no doubt where zero is, although the tiny black switches are hard to see against the black panel.

One mix output sums all three channels; the other sums any channels whose outputs aren't connected, but nothing on the panel indicates that. There are -6dB pad switches for each output, likely to be my least used feature since all the inputs are attenuated anyway.

The output LEDs on 321 seem slightly more helpful than on 3x MIA simply because they're closely spaced for easy comparison -- you can eyeball whether any indivdiual channel of audio is relatively balanced in polarity. The knobs don't block line of sight to the LEDs like the do with my 3x MIA. But I could wish for LEDs for the mix output as well.

Anyway, being super picky here. Both modules are pretty great. My preference would be for 3x MIA if you need more mixing (or, say, mix two signals and still have two attenuverter/offset pairs), and 321 if you primarily want precise attenuverter/offsets with occasional mixing. I'm happy to have one of each split between my two cases. thumbs up
Multi Grooves
I've had mine for a few months now and that is a very good write up.
dro
Any word when this will be back in stock at PCA or Cntrl in the US? I'm in need of some attenuversion.
simonefabbri
dro wrote:
Any word when this will be back in stock at PCA or Cntrl in the US? I'm in need of some attenuversion.
They shipped last week, and other will ship at the end of the month wink
soon_come
Anyone else have a few wobbly knobs on their 321? I wouldn't normally notice this too much, but some are stiff and some are kinda wobbly.
Multi Grooves
Not massively, no.
soon_come
I think I'm still getting used to the tiny knobs some manufacturers are using (for example every 2hp module). I know they're not mounted to the panel, so maybe they're designed to flex a little, but it always feels a bit weird. By contrast, the small knobs on Zlob modules (for example) feel stiff even though they're tiny - totally different feel.

Frap Tools were helpful and told me something I suspected might be the case: because those holes are so small, sometimes a panel will be aligned slightly differently and if certain knobs "rest" a bit on the cutout they will, of course, feel more stable. I think that's all it is, TBH.
lisa
Been looking at the 321 lately. Seems very dense and useful. I have two 3xMIA in my first case but will try the 321 at some point for my new case.
nano_granny
I have two of the 321s. I use one of them them to attenuate and the other to mix. Over time the pots have worn slightly, giving a little wobble but this has not affected the overall output.
Catflap
321 is a gateway Frap module
I love mine! I'm looking to purchase another very soon.
Gohan2A
It's possible to convert 5v > +5v/-5v for each section?
or need many section for that?
Xinod
Gohan2A wrote:
It's possible to convert 5v > +5v/-5v for each section?
or need many section for that?

I don’t have it in front of me right now but yes, you can do it with one section. It should be scale x2 (pot all cw) and -5v offset (pot all ccw)
Gohan2A
That's great, thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1