MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV guitar pedals and what do you want in a MIDI controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author CV guitar pedals and what do you want in a MIDI controller
polyexpressive
I've got 2 questions:

What interesting guitar pedals are there that have CV but not MIDI control? I'm contemplating if I should work out a way to add CV outs to my MIDI controller, probably with an add on box. I could also just recommend an existing MIDI -> CV converter.

2. What are people looking for in a MIDI foot controller that existing ones don't do? I'm making a MIDI controller that's currently on Kickstarter (Poly Expressive http://bit.ly/polyexpressive) and I'd love to here more ideas from more experimental guitarists, and Muff Wiggler is the place to find them.
dkcg
Take a look at the Kenton midi to CV boxes. They're fairly small (unless you want multiple channels out) and would fit on a pedalboard if that's the plan. 9V center neg power same size as most pedals (with inverted polarity) if Im not mistaken.

If you want multiple channels, you might want to start a eurorack if that's the plan anyways. Maybe something like the Pittsburg pedal case.

Or if you got some scratch and with some luck, the Moog MP201 looks great for use as the hub of your foot control journey. I think it might do midi to CV, definitely does midi clock.
polyexpressive
I'd probably be keen on 2-3 channels as each area in my controller can send position ( X Y ) and pressure. So I was contemplating the Doepfer MCV4.

I'm mostly wondering what interesting pedals there are that people are using or a guitarists using non-pedal size gear with CV?
dkcg
The one I use CVs on most are my Moogerfoogers, mainly the phaser. I run my synth through it sometimes and send it envelopes and LFOs from the modular.

Analog voltages (like pulses and gates), I find, is the most immediate, reliable and solid way of syncing analog gear. Otherwise, I use midi clock through just about everything that won't take a pulse or gate for timing. I rarely use midi CC, just easier to turn knobs on a sequencer or other modulator.

expression jacks are just a reference voltage and a CV input, more or less. Some take 0-3V, some take 0-5, but be careful using synth CVs, if the designer didn't add overload protection, you could damage the pedal. Just email them, most I've emailed end up being eurorack owners and can tell you what the range of voltage is.

Skip the pedals, I can see you heading straight towards a nice euro effects setup for your guitar. Mr. Green
polyexpressive
Thanks for the info.

grin I've done modular stuff in the past, but I'm mostly trying to work out what other people are keen on, to use the MIDI controller that I make (Poly Expressive) with.
dkcg
polyexpressive wrote:
Thanks for the info.

grin I've done modular stuff in the past, but I'm mostly trying to work out what other people are keen on, to use the MIDI controller that I make (Poly Expressive) with.

if that could control Ableton Live, starting stopping clips, X-Y pad. Guitar looping, etc. I bet you could get some Ableton Guitarists wanting something like your controller.
polyexpressive
it does all that right now:

works well with Ableton and Bitwig. Did you look at the Kickstarter? Examples with both.
yeatsvisitslincoln
The WMD Protostar has it's whole CV patch bay. It could be interesting to use that to create some midi presets for it? Randy's Revenge by Fairfield would be another. That thing would be killer if you could have a midi preset for the carrier frequency and/or LPF.
Nostrom
Electro Harmonix pedals are cv compatible (most of them, if not all, as long as they have an expression input).

With the Ring Thing, you can change the pitch shifting, the speed of the tremolo, or the amount of "damage" on the signal.

I use the EHX 8 step for this, which is actually a cv sequencer.

(I own a EHX Talking Machine, it works as well. It should be interesting with the Memory Boy)
polyexpressive
I've actually added an MIDI to expression style converter to the Kickstarter now. I couldn't seem to find anything that did that in a nice package and basically every pedal that takes CV seems to be easier to control with expression, and a lot more pedals are expression compatible. It's got 2 expression outs. I can wire it to do CV as well at normal voltage ranges or you can just feed in a voltage on one wire in, of a TRS, same as an expression pedal.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1