MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anything like AVDog in Euro?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Anything like AVDog in Euro?
williamjturkel
I'm just learning Plumbutter 2 after a year of playing with an almost complete set of IFM modules (can't very frustrating get very frustrating fourses very frustrating anywhere). I really like the undulations of the AVDogs and miss them now when I play the Eurorack. Are there any modules or patches that could go in an AVDog direction? I have, and love, the Triple Sloth, but that doesn't orbit in quite the right way.
Navs
Can you describe what AVDog does so that people who are unfamiliar with it can make suggestions?
williamjturkel
That's why I posted in the CL forum: I figured only the Peter Blasser heads would be familiar with the sound.

Basically, AVDogs gently undulate in pitch and panning, not in a cyclic way (like Sloths) and not in a smoothed random walk way (like URA) but more like kelp waving underwater.
pugix
See my description of the Rollz5 AVDog.

http://pugix.com/synth/rollz-5-schematics/

The Rollz5 version does not have CV like the Plumbutter AVDogs (schematic is published by Peter B.).

AVDog consists of three sub-modules, that you could patch up using Eurorack modules.

Oscillator - Any signal could be used for the input actually. AVDog has a simple internal oscillator.

Dual VCA - PB AVDog has dual outputs. One is rising as the other falls in level. But you can use only one VCA.

State Variable Filter, struck by a pulse to ring, generates the undulating envelope that is applied to the VCAs. This may be harder to find in Euro, because it has to go to LFO frequencies. But it's the key to AVDog.
williamjturkel
Thanks, Richard, that is super helpful.
Navs
I read all the fora, William hihi

Thank you Richard, that is interesting.

The Serge '73 filter can be switched to low frequencies. DIY from Ken Stone or Elby.
williamjturkel
Thanks, Navs! My next post was going to be to ask about SVF modules that can do low frequencies.
aethersprite
To somewhat simulate the dogs I'd recommend the NLC Feague, or any other Quadrature Osc that has voltage control.

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2016/11/feague-4-pole-vcf-qua drature-oscillator.html
williamjturkel
That's an interesting idea - I guess a self-modulated Batumi at LFO frequencies can sort of undulate.

I am going to breadboard Richard's AVDog circuit to try to get more insight about what the SVF is doing.
pugix
williamjturkel wrote:
That's an interesting idea - I guess a self-modulated Batumi at LFO frequencies can sort of undulate.

I am going to breadboard Richard's AVDog circuit to try to get more insight about what the SVF is doing.

One thing I would change is the 10uf capacitor that couples the INPULSE to ring the filter. It acts as a pulse divider and won't let retriggering happen for quite a long time. Try a 1uf instead.

Good luck. It should work.
williamjturkel
Thanks! I was just looking at it in a circuit simulator and trying to figure out why it wasn't retriggering.
williamjturkel
I’ve found a pretty good AVDog analog using IFM modules:

Denum bipolar VCA. Use internal oscillator or send sound sources into INN jacks. LEFT and RITE outs to stereo outs. MUL in from Sprott BP out.

Swoop LFO. Switch up for low frequency. Square out to Sprott BP in.

Sprott resonant filter. All switches down. All knobs at 12 o’clock except FREQ and Q, which are around 11 o’clock. BP in from Swoop square out. BP out to Denum MUL in.
pugix
williamjturkel wrote:

Denum bipolar VCA. Use internal oscillator or send sound sources into INN jacks. LEFT and RITE outs to stereo outs. MUL in from Sprott BP out.

Sprott resonant filter. All switches down. All knobs at 12 o’clock except FREQ and Q, which are around 11 o’clock. BP in from Swoop square out. BP out to Denum MUL in.

Ah, so you are using Sprott as the infrasonic filter and ringing it with a square wave. I'll have to try that.
BananaPlug
It's a good thing we have Richard to explain the CL stuff. we're not worthy

William's recipe sounds intriguing.

Here's another NonlinearCircuits module which seems relevant.

Quote:
SLY GROGAN is an envelope generator based on the design in Electronotes #86. It can produce a wide variety of different envelopes and bursts, perhaps most interesting is the ability to have the envelopes ringing after the attack stage.

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2017/10/sly-grogan.html
williamjturkel
BananaPlug wrote:
It's a good thing we have Richard to explain the CL stuff. we're not worthy

Agreed. I’ve learned so much from reading his blog!
williamjturkel
pugix wrote:
williamjturkel wrote:

Ah, so you are using Sprott as the infrasonic filter and ringing it with a square wave. I'll have to try that.

Now that I understand what I can do with the slow oscillations of infrasonic filter resonance, I am using it all over the place. The diode inputs on Sprott seem to slow things down even further.
williamjturkel
BananaPlug wrote:

Here's another NonlinearCircuits module which seems relevant.

Quote:
SLY GROGAN is an envelope generator based on the design in Electronotes #86. It can produce a wide variety of different envelopes and bursts, perhaps most interesting is the ability to have the envelopes ringing after the attack stage.

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2017/10/sly-grogan.html

Thanks for pointing out the Sly Grogan - it looks like a really fun module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1