2hp XAOC Poti?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd put this here. I finally did a DIY module :hide: (no, I realize Poti doesn't really count... )

In filling out my rack, by the time I got around to the Poti, I only had 2HP of 1U space left!

It's a little bit crowded, but for only 2HP of my 1U row I am happy, and this goes at the end where I had a little bit of bolt head sticking up so couldn't otherwise put a module there! :banana:

JoeFuture
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JoeFuture » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 am

I ordered the pusherman 2hp Poti panel, and I'm looking for appropriate sub-mini SPST switches to mount on it. Everything I've found on Mouser and Digikey is just a bit too big. Does anyone have a good source for ~6-10mm wide sub-mini SPST switches?

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

The sub-mini ones that I used on my little 1U Poti (in the picture above) are from Small Bear Electronics.

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigc ... n-10tc410/

You'll only need 2 of the pegs on each switch at the back, but the switches are just the right size to fit.

JoeFuture
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JoeFuture » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 am

Excellent - thank you @cg-funk!

ianbortolotti
Common Wiggler

Post by ianbortolotti » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:11 am

Behold my 0hp diy Poti expander! 8-)

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for my Poti situation.

I already have the 3hp Poti for my Batumi, but I really want to get that 1hp back for my small set up. So I found this thread a few weeks ago and ordered the 2hp Pusherman Poti Expander Panel.

I read above that you can just swap out the original Poti switches into the Pusherman panel. But when I tried to do so last night, I realized that the spacing for the switches is different from the original version.

And because my original has the switches soldered into a PCB (pics in attachments), they won't fit the new panel.

I'm handy with a soldering iron/sucker, but I don't know much about electronics so I wanted to get some advice here.

Think I could just desolder the switches and rewire them like I was doing a DIY from scratch?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J_Behan
Common Wiggler

Post by J_Behan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:27 am

Rather than butcher the Xaoc Poti, I would just pick up three SPDT on-on switches with PCB pin connectors, and some female jumper cables to connect to the Batumi. No soldering required and easy to reconfigure.
Then you could just sell the Xaoc Poti to cover costs.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/connec ... of-40.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:28 am

J_Behan wrote:Rather than butcher the Xaoc Poti, I would just pick up three SPDT on-on switches with PCB pin connectors, and some female jumper cables to connect to the Batumi. No soldering required and easy to reconfigure.

Yeah, I was thinking that--would be a shame to pull it apart. So I think you've just convinced me to go in that direction. Time for a trip to my local electronics store.

Thanks for the nudge!

doublestewart
Common Wiggler

Post by doublestewart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:43 am

Dasein1980 wrote:
J_Behan wrote:Rather than butcher the Xaoc Poti, I would just pick up three SPDT on-on switches with PCB pin connectors, and some female jumper cables to connect to the Batumi. No soldering required and easy to reconfigure.

Yeah, I was thinking that--would be a shame to pull it apart. So I think you've just convinced me to go in that direction. Time for a trip to my local electronics store.

Thanks for the nudge!
Let us know how it turns out. This sounds like a great simple solution, but I'm a total novice with this kind of stuff.
Last edited by doublestewart on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:12 pm

doublestewart wrote:
Let us know how it turns out. This sounds like a great simple solution, but I'm a total novice with this kind of stuff.
Will do!

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 2hp XAOC Poti?

Post by Dasein1980 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:05 pm

As an update for anyone interested, I finally got around to putting together the Poti 2hp.

I bought the 2hp Panel from Pusherman.

I originally was going to take apart the factory Poti to source parts for the 2hp version, but J_Behan convince me to just construct it with other parts. I'm glad they did.

My electronics store had female to female jumpers, but it only sold solderable switches. So I had to order jumper-compatible SPDT switches (PCB Mount) from lovemyswitches.com

Followed the wiring instructions on Pusherman's website and everything works great.

Happy to help if anyone needs any in the future.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Dasein1980 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:05 pm
My electronics store had female to female jumpers, but it only sold solderable switches. So I had to order jumper-compatible SPDT switches (PCB Mount) from lovemyswitches.com
Do you have a link for the switches? I'm not sure that I understand what jumper-compatible switches look like.

J_Behan
Common Wiggler

Post by J_Behan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 am

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:14 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:52 pm
Dasein1980 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:05 pm
Do you have a link for the switches? I'm not sure that I understand what jumper-compatible switches look like.
Here's the link to the store I ordered from, which is a family run shop located in OR.

https://lovemyswitches.com/taiway-spdt- ... ong-shaft/

They also have the same same switch with a short shaft. I wish I had've gotten these to test out too.

https://lovemyswitches.com/taiway-spdt- ... ort-shaft/

Have fun!

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:46 pm

J_Behan wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 am
These ones...

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcomme ... -pc-mount/
Thanks - I was thinking of pulling out the top channel of 2hp passive mult, and putting in switches for the Batumi expander. There’s lots of wasted space in that Poti expander.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm

really like my punk Poti. serves as a mult too which is good to have beside Batumi.

doesn't seem to be listed on modular grid.. bought it dirt cheap from an Italian builder.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm
really like my punk Poti. serves as a mult too which is good to have beside Batumi.

doesn't seem to be listed on modular grid.. bought it dirt cheap from an Italian builder.
I'm really into the XAOC stuff, but this is a moment where they really missed the boat. That's the expander I want - do you remember the name of the builder?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 pm

I'm really into the XAOC stuff, but this is a moment where they really missed the boat. That's the expander I want - do you remember the name of the builder?
It's this guy: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view/68430

This is his Facebook page where he sells stuff

I very recently bought 3 NLC modules from him. Took around 1 week (shipping is a bit slow).

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Is there a schematic for this? Or is it as simple as connecting each of the three pairs of pins on the back of Batumi with one of three switches?

I’d like to make one of these.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:34 pm

soggybag wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:19 pm
Is there a schematic for this? Or is it as simple as connecting each of the three pairs of pins on the back of Batumi with one of three switches?

I haven’t gotten around to making one yet, but I’m pretty certain it’s a direct connection between the pins on the switches to the expander pins on Batumi.

I have Poti, but modules like it with odd numbered widths are such a pain for organizing small cases. If I get it down to 2hp, I can get a 2hp mult/buff mult/etc in my case.

I really like this idea of using the extra space for a mult, because the expander is quite literally 3 tiny switches.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:45 pm

VPME Six Switches can double as a 2HP expander for two Batumis :lol: (it has two three-jumper connectors instead of a single six-jumper one for some reason)

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:59 pm

I was lucky enough to get a custom 2hp module made that has the 3 switches for my Batumi AND 2 switches for my E350 Morphing Terrarium. It started off as a 2hp expansion for my E350 containing 2 switches and 3 additional holes which originally housed an attenuator (1 knob, 1 input and 1 output). Then about a year ago, I asked the maker, muffwiggler "negativespace", to change the attenuator into 3 more switches to work with the Batumi. (I have NO DIY skills :hihi: ) So now, it has the 5 switches and sits happily between my Batumi and E350. Talk about LFO/modulation madness! :party:

I just don't have the proper labelling for the 3 Batumi switches, but I've got it memorized.
IMG_7001.JPG

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 pm

soggybag wrote:

Yes, it's as easy as connecting each jumper cable from one pin to another. I followed the pictures on Pusherman's website here: https://pushermanproductions.com/produc ... panel-2hp/

If you scroll through the pictures (and zoom), you can see different angles of the coloured wires and see where each goes on both the switches and the back of the Batumi.

Once you have all the materials, it's super easy. Takes like 5 minutes.

Good luck!

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Dasein1980 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 pm
soggybag wrote:

Yes, it's as easy as connecting each jumper cable from one pin to another. I followed the pictures on Pusherman's website here: https://pushermanproductions.com/produc ... panel-2hp/

If you scroll through the pictures (and zoom), you can see different angles of the coloured wires and see where each goes on both the switches and the back of the Batumi.

Once you have all the materials, it's super easy. Takes like 5 minutes.

Good luck!
I think I can handle that! That panel on Pusherman is deal at 6lbs (I don’t know how to get the British money symbol) but I think I might make one myself. I really liked the mult and switches I saw someone else make. Seemed like a good idea.

Bjarlstedt
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarlstedt » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 am

soggybag wrote:

I made mine by looking at the pictures from this blog: https://amazingdiy.wordpress.com/tag/poti/
It was a super simple build.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”