Disting mk4 quantizer how to

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

tf2ftw
Learning to Wiggle

Disting mk4 quantizer how to

Post by tf2ftw » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Sorry for the basic question. How do you use the quantizer feature on the Disting? Does it require the midi expander? I plugged an Lfo to the in and ran the quantized out into 1v/oct on a mother 32 but nothing happens. What am I’m missing? Could some one provide a basic patch example? Thanks

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:52 am

Choose algorithm A6 on the Disting mk4. Patch your CV source (the LFO in this case) to the X input on Disting. Patch from the A output on Disting to the VCO 1V/OCT on your Mother32. Finally patch the Disting B output to your GATE input on the Mother32.
My attempt at dodecaphony, following all of the twelve-tone serialism rules but still fashioning it the Lisa style that you all know and love. ;)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:22 am

@tf2ftw Most likely you have Z turned negative, which puts it into triggered mode, so it won't quantise unless you give it a trigger. So, either put it into non-triggered mode (Z positive) or give it a trigger (into Y).

Jpscurry8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jpscurry8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 am

I was just trying to figure this out myself. Thanks for the info!

BTW, caught Eurorack fever about four months ago. I've learned a tremendous amount from these forums, but this is my first post!

Steve Richards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Steve Richards » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:34 am

Patch from the A output on Disting to the VCO 1V/OCT on your Mother32. Finally patch the Disting B output to your GATE input on the Mother32.
Sorry to we-awaken an old thread but I wanted to thank lisa for this explanation. I couldn't get this to work either but as is so often the case, I was the problem! I really need to get into thinking of modular as working on 'voltage' rather than 'audio' levels which is why I was getting nasty sounds when 'listening' to the output of the Disting! Using the output as a 1v/octave CV is just so obvious now :bang: Thanks lisa

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Tacking a quick semi-related question onto this thread to save creating a new thread:

Is the Disting quantizer 24-bit (DAC) over 20 volts (octaves) (-10v to +10v), or is that not an accurate spec? Also, is the CV-to-be-quantized input range -10v to +10v?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:02 am

Yes.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”