MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analog Rytm MKII
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Analog Rytm MKII
GUM
Finally shipping.

looks like they pretty much improved everything with this version.

anyone worked with it hands on yet?
taylor12k
i'm super excited for this. going to pick one up.

the comments on the news postings (synthtopia, gearslutz, etc) seems to have missed in the video when the guy casually mentions there's now a new dual VCO analog synth inside... not even the manual online mentions it... must be a last minute addition... and one that totally tips it over the edge for me.. very very cool. can't wait.

going to sample modular drum sounds all day long.
GUM
as far as last minute additions go that dual vco is pretty fantastic! kinda wish they added another LFO but I guess with the EXP/CV input it's not really necessary.
estin
Looks really nice and is the only MK2 machine I am tempted by. Just not sure I need it since I use my Octatrack as a drum/noise sequencer.
Futuresound
I'm pretty tempted. I didn't think I was going to be, I'm pretty happy with my mkI apart from the pads, but they really added quite a bit of cool stuff.

But if I do upgrade, I will have to upgrade my OT so they match lol.
folpon
"Expression/CV inputs for external control of Analog Rytm MKII parameters"

Is there more info on what CV the rytm can accept and what parameters signals can be mapped to? clock in to sync with modular would be nice.
GUM
according to the manual you can control 5 track parameters per modulation macro and seems to be limited to drum / fx parameters only - but still that's 10 parameters via cv! maybe a future update will allow clock in via cv.
@realwiggler
Got a Digitakt when they dropped and was blown away, super excited about this release. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the cv assignments expanded on down the road
So far all of these MKII machines seem like significant improvements
Futuresound
Clock in would make me a very happy human.
GuyaGuy
Sampling looks straightforward. Also:

"It can sample audio from external sources via the AUDIO IN inputs, and it can also sample audio internally from the Analog Rytm MKII itself." w00t

https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Analog-Rytm-MKII-Us er-Manual_ENG.pdf
Muse FTW
If I knew the Rytm was gonna add the ability to sample (external and internal) PLUS improve the pads, I would've skipped the Digitakt altogether.
VanEck
Muse FTW wrote:
If I knew the Rytm was gonna add the ability to sample (external and internal) PLUS improve the pads, I would've skipped the Digitakt altogether.

i bought a digi despite knowing the rytm mkii was coming and what it was capable of, and so far i am not regretting it. i loved the rytm for a hot minute, but found myself using it soley as a sampler more and more. the digi handles those duties now just as i wanted, and it's half the price of the rytm which i ultimately sold.

i feel like if you are doing a lot of sampling like i am doing (dropping sounds right from the modular into elektron devices) then the digi or the octa are the best. the sampling features in the rytm are a nice bonus, but it's far from the best sampler option from elektron for the price in my opinion.

you need to ask yourself what you really want... an analog drum machine, or a sampler. if an analog drum machine isn't your primary desire, then you should probably stick with the digi or get an octa.
estin
Pre-ordered the rytm MkII, hope it plays nice with my Mk1 octatrack and analog four. I have really been needing drums! hihi
rean1mator
They improved everything except the most important part - A complete OS overhaul. Which the Rytm as well as all their other instruments need.

mostly fluff in my opinion. The biggest thing they need to update is the sample and library management deficiencies. I think they've developed them selves in to a hole and can't seem to get out of it as far as the development they have done on the existing OS and file structure.

GUM wrote:
Finally shipping.

cscairney
rean1mator wrote:
They improved everything except the most important part - A complete OS overhaul. Which the Rytm as well as all their other instruments need.

mostly fluff in my opinion. The biggest thing they need to update is the sample and library management deficiencies. I think they've developed them selves in to a hole and can't seem to get out of it as far as the development they have done on the existing OS and file structure.

GUM wrote:
Finally shipping.

Interesting, I found the samples fairly easy to navigate once I got used to it. After a week or so I was flying through the OS!

I would like to see tracking over more octaves for each voice, extra LFO per voice
shreddoggie
What about the all important SOUND?

I have a AR mk I and use it only for midrange / low / dark things. I simply do cannot hang with the high end. This includes, snare snap, hats, cymbals, even the clap. They all sound tinny to me no matter how I adjust the voices or filter them. Pretty much everything else is nice - the analog drum synthesis works well and sounds good, especially FM which is my favorite part of the AR and that which I use the most. The sample playback with analog filter is good, and the sequencer with the p-locks is excellent. Timing is solid, performance/scenes are great, effects are decent particularly the distortion in small doses... but the highs? I can't use them - at all.

Anything changed in the mk II that has a significant effect on the sound?
stikygum
[quote="VanEck"]
Muse FTW wrote:

i feel like if you are doing a lot of sampling like i am doing (dropping sounds right from the modular into elektron devices) then the digi or the octa are the best. the sampling features in the rytm are a nice bonus, but it's far from the best sampler option from elektron for the price in my opinion.

you need to ask yourself what you really want... an analog drum machine, or a sampler. if an analog drum machine isn't your primary desire, then you should probably stick with the digi or get an octa.

I don't necessarily think that's the case. If you want sampling, but want to have the benefit of the analog filter and VCA, then you'd choose the Rytm. For me, that's a big benefit. The Octatrack mk2 looks enticing with all it's features, but I think you can do a good amount of fun sample mangling with the Rytm. I like the features of the Octatrack more, but the sound of the Rytm more using samples. I'm not a fan of the machines in the Rytm that much, but that's my personal aesthetic in sound. I know some people like the round tone it produces. And it sounds good on a live PA system.

rean1mator wrote:

I'm in agreement with this, but I will say I didn't give it a fair stab. There's definitely a learning curve here. I think with something so deep, file mgmt is harder to handle possibly. But that was the reason I sold my mk1, because the OS and file management system wasn't as straight forward as I would've liked.
Konrad Seifert
I just got mine yesterday. I did a major downsize from several synths, drum machines, fx and 38U of Eurorack. My New setup lookes like this. The AR has replaced a Vermona DRM1 MKII, a Tanzmaus and an Octatrack (which was very versatile), but I didn´t like the overall sound. Also the sampling on the AZ is so easy!

drowld
Konrad Seifert wrote:
...My New setup lookes like this. The AR has replaced a Vermona DRM1 MKII, a Tanzmaus and an Octatrack (which was very versatile), but I didn´t like the overall sound. Also the sampling on the AZ is so easy!

Would love some report after you used it a while.
I'm currently using a tanzmaus and a digitakt but i would prefer to only own a rytm. It's easier and i can do analog drum synthesis as on the tanzmaus while using samples as on digitakt(+ i don't use the external midi of the digi)

So seeing how well it can replace it. Which is probably the case you know but gas and shyt
Funkydroid
shreddoggie wrote:

eyes... this is the criticism they don't let you speak freely on elektronauts. What i gathered is that digitakt is the neutral one, with acceptable highs. This is still compared to mk1. On mk2 jury is still out.
CF3
Funkydroid wrote:
shreddoggie wrote:

eyes... this is the criticism they don't let you speak freely on elektronauts. What i gathered is that digitakt is the neutral one, with acceptable highs. This is still compared to mk1. On mk2 jury is still out.

Elektronauts is generally a waste of time for actual "man-on-the-street" information. It's the worst fanboyism I've seen in music gear.
I'm definitely considering a MKII, but I have to hear it in person first. The feature set looks incredible. I really didn't like how some of their other boxes sounded (Octatrack, Analog Four, MachineDrum), but I like Analog Heat a lot. So who knows... seriously, i just don't get it
Hopefully somebody or some place local has one soon so I can make a decision. Samples + analog filters is my favorite.
Funkydroid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efiu2k7C4E&feature=youtu.be

So first patch went down to toilet, as many is exchanging theirs and at least one got defective unit second time.Various different problems, seems hardware related.

With a niche product ie. small run, they should be able to test every unit, no?
estin
^ bummer to see. I am sure it will be corrected and sorted out. I ended up canceling my pre-order shortly after placing it due to violating my "never pre-order new products" rule just in case. Always seems to be early growing pains with new gear.
Funkydroid
estin wrote:
^ bummer to see. I am sure it will be corrected and sorted out. I ended up canceling my pre-order shortly after placing it due to violating my "never pre-order new products" rule just in case. Always seems to be early growing pains with new gear.

Agree. Just to add; and when they do, it will be drum machine second to none.
blinosynth
Mine arrived two days ago
I wish i had the big manual to read ... I just saw some demos and tutorial from YouTube
Today I start with some twicking and adding distortion and compression
Wow
It's unbelievable ... I love it
Looking forward to sample my eurorack system and understand it more.
Finally all my tracks can have a structure (my first drum machine)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2