MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Delay Pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Delay Pedals
timmah
I want to get a delay pedal for general dubby tweaking and looping of live sources, modular and DAW. I usually use logic's delays, which are good but I want something more hands-on.
looking at Boss RE-20 Space echo and EHX stero memory man hazarai.

anyone had much experience with these? pros/cons?

There's also the eventide timefactor which is more $$, but looks good.

any comments appreciated.
Luka
i was about to buy one of those maxon 999 delays, they are analog and meant to sound amazing. the are the only company manufactoring new BBDs i think and hence why they can make such amazing sounding delay stomp boxes.

they are pretty expensive though, i think about 300 or so.
extremely long delay times for analog technology though
Babaluma
i have the maxon ad-99. it's great for guitar but i have never tried it with line or synth level stuff (i have two time machines for that).
Kent
How about the Pigtronix Echolution? It's pretty dope.

http://pigtronix.com/products08/echolution.html

For the DAW, this might fit the bill:

http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/product.php?pid=AD006

shamann
timmah wrote:
looking at Boss RE-20 Space echo and EHX stero memory man hazarai.

I've no experience with either, but know some folk who have. I've seen some positive stuff about the Boss pedal on forums, but anyone I know who had one took it back to the store after a day. The consensus from them has generally been the output often clips in an unpleasant way, the expression pedal response is poor, and it doesn't sound even moderately close compared to an RE-201.

People I know who have the EHX pedal like it well enough. I've not really heard anything exciting or horrible about it from anyone. It's a digital delay with a filter.

I have a Timefactor and love it. The updated firmware really improved the sound from the initial release, it has stereo inputs unlike most other delays, it has a lot of good modes, really versatile once you start digging in the settings and has a handy hold buffer switch. the only complaints about it I've seen around the web tend to be from guitarists who basically don't want a delay pedal with 8 knobs. I'm not a guitarist, and so am happy to have the extra controls at hand.
parasitk
My guitarist has an MXR Carbon Copy which sounds pretty nice actually. I've only heard it at practice (and we're really really fucking loud) so I can't say too much about it. Once we start recording I'll have a better idea of it's character.
sonic
look into a RC-20 loop station or DD-20
futuresoundsystems
A lot of people will hate me for saying this... but the Behringer Echo Machine pedal is pretty damn good for £30. If you get bored of it, take the guts out and circuit bend it. hihi
surachai
I've played with the Boss RE-20 and I've owned a Roland Space Echo RE-201 and I have to say that the recreation is great. There are a few problems such as when selecting the amount of echos in the Mode Selector section, the regeneration suddenly stops and resets itself. Unless you don't mind the stop in fluidity, manual control is only limited to the left panel, Bass/Treble/Repeat/Intensity, Etc.. Aside from a few quirks like that, I think the thing sounds great.
As for the EHX Stereo memory man, I've played with it a bit and it's a great sounding digital delay. Shit gets into warped worlds quick! Lot's of great functions that to me recreate a lot of Logic delays nicely. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrtct-zdU7Q
Definitely check out this stores videos, its a great resource for the better sounding pedals: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProGuitarShopDemos
tragedybysyntax
I'm pretty happy with my vactrol added EHX memory man and Roland RE-201 at the end of a chain. Sick.... smile
Bricks
diamond memory lane and well-maintained space echo re-201 for the win
plord
Memory Lane: awesomer and awesomer every time I play it. My Moogerfooger, Ibanez AD-202 and UE-405, and Blacet Time Machine are useful for certain specific applications but nowhere near the swiss army knife delay that the Memory Lane is.

But you said looping. If you *just* want a looper, then:
* Looperlative is the hands down winner and the cost bears this out, sadly.
* E-H 2880 and footpedal is what I have for its dead-simple operation, but you only get one loop and one loop length at a time. Good for modular "Tear it down at the end" patching and capture, not so good for storing anything.
* The new Jam-Man and Boss units blow greasy chunks. They make simple things hard. I hated them. With extra hate.

If you want a looper AND delay that will gunge up your output with duby madness and spaceship noises, go out and get yourself a Line6 DL-4. Do not pass go or collect $200. It glitches in a usable way, it does simple things simply, the looper works well and you can add delay to the loops. There is nothing not to like and if it hadn't paid for part of my Memory Lane I'd still have it. Great box.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
ehxs echo #1 looks awesome as hell, 2 seconds of delay and the price is nice.

ive been meaning to get one.
wetterberg
malekko are doing a long bbd eurorack module, aren't they?
thetwlo
The Echolution sounds better than the Timefactor in most cases. Unfortunately, The mod rates on both could be a lot faster like on many of the old dig delays so you can get clangorous rind mod type effects.
haiku-ish
try to find a used 16 second digital delay reissue fron EH, this thing rocks,and spit out midi i
D/A A/D
I am a bit of a delay addict, I own the following:

Boss DD-6 (Full digital signal path, and it glitches when you turn the delay knob - could be a good thing but I find it annoying. I only use it because its super long and I use it for vocals so I never tweak it)

Boss PS-2 (Analog signal path, only the delays are digital. Its got some crunchy ass 8 bit delays)

SIB Mr. Echo (This is a PT2399 digital chip delay, but it does some wicked analog emulation. It also has the slam feature which throws the pedal into self oscillation, which I use a LOT.)

MXR Carbon Copy (Straight up wicked fucking BBD analog delay with 600ms! Some people bitch about the subtle modulation, but I really don't care because I have a Prisoner - read below)

Jacques Prisoner (Another BBD delay but this badboy has AMAZING modulation from subtle shimmer, to chorus to full on pitch shifting repeats.)

Digitech PDS 1001 (A great 2 second digital delay with 6 bit resolution and hold, I use this for recording a lot)

DOD FX90 (A BBD delay from the mid 80's with 300ms of delay, muddy as fuck and has loads of character. I put it before the PDS 1001 a lot.)

Digitech PDS 2000 (Much like the 101 but with 8 bit resolution it also has a one hit sample option and you can trigger the sample with an outside trigger)

I have owned:

Boss DD-3
Ampeg AD-8
DOD FX94
DOD FX09
Various Alesis rackmounts
Various Ibanez rackmounts
More that I can't remember.

Oh, the PDS 2000 and Boss PS-2 are for sale... hihi

Alex
Kent
Salut, Mr. Haiku-ish. Comment tu trouves notre forum?
apemandan
Theres a Melos DE-1 BBD here...

http://www.cbradiomad.co.uk/myshop/prod_256848-Melos.html

$30! A bargain i would say, these things are great, especially for dark dub feedback!
Chuck E. Jesus
D/A A/D wrote:

MXR Carbon Copy (Straight up wicked fucking BBD analog delay with 600ms! Some people bitch about the subtle modulation, but I really don't care because I have a Prisoner - read below)

i was wondering if it would be an easy hack to bypass the modulation and add voltage control to that delay (via the mod switch)...
Kent
apemandan wrote:

$30! A bargain i would say, these things are great, especially for dark dub feedback!

30£ (That's British Pounds Stirling, yo) hihi
haiku-ish
Bonjour Kent,

je trouve très interessant ce forum, quelques têtes connues et d'autres que je suis content de ne pas( plus) voir ici... ;-)

i've a mixed setup between diy tube & transistor pedals, and modular stuff (doepfet, Anyware instrument Semtex, Curetronic, moogerfooger...)

and a lot of delay pedal too...

EH 16S DD, EH Strereo memory man, ibanez dl7, Line 6 echo park (fake output strereo but great sound); RE201; Headrush, Redson analog delay...
apemandan
Kent wrote:
apemandan wrote:

30£ (That's British Pounds Stirling, yo) hihi

ahhh yes...any easy mistake to make. Still a bargain for me here in the UK though, in fact fuck it...its mine!
timmah
picked up a good deal on teh Boss RE-20 as I freaking love dub delay.

will see how it goes and possibly get a looping pedal as well.

for straight looping/soundonsound stuff what's the best?

thanks for your advice guys.
Kent
Just snapped up an original issue Moogerfooger Analog Delay SlayerBadger!

Been wanting one for years! CV control = win!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3