MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ALM MUM M8 - Akai S950 based filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ALM MUM M8 - Akai S950 based filter
Veqtor
This filter has been all over fact mag, RA, etc so I guess no one's missed it hmmm.....
But didn't find a proper thread w. details so I thought I'd post the details!

‘MUM M8’ is an 8hp Eurorack low pass filter building on the filter design used in the classic Akai S950 12 bit sampler with the addition of resonance, voltage control, clipped saturation and a dedicated VCA.

The low pass filter gives the recognisable super smooth vacuum like tone sucking sound which works magic on complex sources. The addition of clipped overdrive and intentionally aggressive self oscillating resonance compliment the smooth filter core by juxtaposing it into more wasp like territory with acidic squeals and a more gritty sound.

The filter core is a 6th Order Butterworth switched capacitor type design featuring an analog core but controlled by a high speed digital clock. This produces the characteristic smooth sounding filter but, as with the original S950, has a relatively high minimum cut off as to avoid ‘clock bleed’ into the filter output from the digital control. This minimum cut of point can be controlled via trimmers on the rear of the module.

The motivation for the module came from discussing filters in classic samplers with the artist Jack Adams – aka Mumdance. Jack suggested investigating the S950’s filter well known as for it use in classic use in early jungle and hardcore. From that point onward Jack provided inspiration, help and feedback in the development of the filter. Big up Mumdance.

Features

* Eurorack recreation of classic sampler filter with added resonance and voltage control.
* Dual audio inputs, one with VCA and level control.
* Dual CV (with attenuversion) and manual control of cut off frequency.
* Single CV (with attenuation) and manual control of resonance.
* Ability to overdrive and saturate signals into filter core.
* Reverse polarity protection.
* Skiff friendly.
* Designed and Made in the UK
* Mumdance approved

VIDEOS:

https://vimeo.com/244625211

https://vimeo.com/244622439

https://vimeo.com/244620760

https://vimeo.com/244618674

https://vimeo.com/244617734

https://vimeo.com/239676112

LINKS:

Official Page

Resident Advisor article

Fact Mag Article

---------------------------------------------------------

Personal opinion:
Super stoked about this, already ordered one, really nice to get that old school jungle business filtering, just need some really terrible timestretch and 12 bit-ADC/DAC coloring loop Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Swain Voorman
Nice.

Anyone know if the chips involved with this one will make it a bit more rare like a few of his other modules? Debating grabbing one now or holding off for a second.
capski
He mentioned on instagram that it’s not limited like fizzle guts, just a smaller initial run.
spacetime
Always great design from ALM. Nice that it has a vca and attenuators
Muse FTW
Sounds good in the demos. Not sure if I have use for one, yet at least, but it's tempting. ALM is always out of stock when I want to get it lol.
Jaypee
Ah nice! Are Ad/da's s950 a big part of the sound too?
clusterchord
i have a s950. when set with just a touch of resonance, this filter itself seems to really sounds SPOT ON to me. however, in case youre looking for akai sound the loop should be played from something dirtier. i would agree that AD/DA as well as whole pitch change playback scheme on akai are big part of its sound. transpose has very special tone.

so, from first listen, i'm thinking for oscillators and synth sounds it perhaps does not bring that much new stuff to the table compared to crapload of filters out there. but for processing drum loops or drum busses, fieldwork, prerecorded complex drones with lots of harmonics, distorted stuff - akais unique tone is just perfect. would love to have a pair just to dedicate to stereo stems, loops..
Bachelard
I'm also very stoked to trying one of these out. Just seems like a no-BS, warm and fuzzy LPF. Really like the 2 inputs.
desdinova
Grabbed one from Control, going to find a spot for it this weekend and give it a go.
plainjanefrancis
I see in their manual it says it self oscillates. I wonder if and how well it tracks.
CF3
would of been REALLY cool if this filter could of had an AD/DA circuit in it, to "down-sample" or bit crush(?) before the filter. Kind of like how you can "monitor" audio going thru some samplers and run it thru the converters like an effects box. Just a thought.

I very much applaud this effort applause The s950 is the sound of my youth.
Bachelard
CF3 wrote:
would of been REALLY cool if this filter could of had an AD/DA circuit in it, to "down-sample" or bit crush(?) before the filter. Kind of like how you can "monitor" audio going thru some samplers and run it thru the converters like an effects box. Just a thought.

I very much applaud this effort applause The s950 is the sound of my youth.

That would actually be VERY cool, brilliant idea.
I do have the Doepfer A-189-1 that I love to bits (pun intended, and recommend everyone get a 189-1 - it’s one of those hidden magical Doepfer modules). Could always run audio into that before the filter. Rockin' Banana!
ALM
If you want to bit depth and rate reduce there are plenty of decent pre-existing options out there for doing this.

I use it with the erica pico drums which already has a 12 bit output for sample playback (is the looped break source in demo vid). Also the Malgorithm works great to bit and rate reduce things pre filter. That said the filter still sounds very characteristic on a regular non reduced source.
mrerdat
Played around with this for a bit at Control yesterday. Really hard to put into words but it does the smooth liquidy thing really well without sounding sterile or boring. Smooth might be the best adjective to describe it. Though it can also get pretty interesting/gritty sounding too when pushed right on the edge of self-oscillation.

Built-in VCA is a super nice touch.
uuav
Little demo from Perfect Circuit Audio
jameswalk
Now that's how to do a demo. Sounds enticing.
esko997
Just picked up one of these, here is an example from some wiggling yesterday:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/thedeadlives/zipquette-groove[/s]

Swirly bassline is Square+Saw of Dixie II+ into MUM M8. Square and Saw are being crossfaded via and LFO and a phase shifted output of the same LFO is modulating cutoff on the MUM M8. Resonance is at about 4'oclock.
uuav
jameswalk wrote:

Yeah I was excited about this filter but I find ALM's demo a bit seriously, i just don't get it, neither technical nor musical. This one revive the hype in me.

esko997
Nice jam! The minimum (or maximum?) cutoff seems a bit high from the ALM videos how do you find it ?
lisa
Sounds super nice. hyper The connection to the old Akai sampler does nothing for me but the sound and the layout seems luxurious.
esko997
uuav not sure I totally udnerstand the question, but the moduation was attenuated so I wasen't sweeping the full range of the cutoff -- ie. it can go farther in either direction (closed or open).
uuav
esko997 Yeah sorry I should reread myself :p. When I hear the videos from ALM and Perfect circuit when the cutoff is full anticlockwise (closed) it feels like it cut at a higher frequency than the few vcf I usually use (most of them totally cut). I'm not judging your wiggling just asking how you feel about that.

But I just saw on the website: " [...]as with the original S950, has a relatively high minimum cut off as to avoid ‘clock bleed’ into the filter output from the digital control. This minimum cut of point can be controlled via trimmers on the rear of the module."

So it's a deal for me!
esko997
uuav wrote:
esko997 Yeah sorry I should reread myself :p. When I hear the videos from ALM and Perfect circuit when the cutoff is full anticlockwise (closed) it feels like it cut at a higher frequency than the few vcf I usually use (most of them totally cut). I'm not judging your wiggling just asking how you feel about that.

But I just saw on the website: " [...]as with the original S950, has a relatively high minimum cut off as to avoid ‘clock bleed’ into the filter output from the digital control. This minimum cut of point can be controlled via trimmers on the rear of the module."

So it's a deal for me!

Oh I didnt think you were judging at all, no worries! But yeah fully closed there is still a decent amount of sound coming through, at least out of the box for me, havent messed with the trim pots yet.
jameswalk
mrerdat
I just got the MUM M8 last week to replace my broken Doepfer Wasp (RIP) and it's so good!

The digitally clocked analog core has a sound that I don't think I've heard yet in Eurorack. Filter sweeps sound super rich and timbrally really interesting. The resonance can get really squelchy and hard if you want it to be but is easy to tame. It doesn't do the thing that some filters do where you adjust the resonance control and it goes from 0 to annoying really fast with not much usable middle ground. The frequency and resonance controls are both super smooth and respond great to modulation.

It's got loads of character and definitely isn't a one trick pony but yet is somehow really versatile, which I don't think is usually the case for 'character' filters.

I recalibrated my cutoff frequency to be a little lower than the conservative factory calibration, which they go over how to do in the manual. I don't mind hearing some clocking artifacts in exchange for increasing the useable frequency range of the filter a bit.
emergingstates
Was this filter design also used in the older MPCs? 60,3000,2000xl ?

Thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2