MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ALM MUM M8 - Akai S950 based filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author ALM MUM M8 - Akai S950 based filter
Gyroscope
Man, the last part of that demo love
tauburn
Just received mine today and it is a perfect combination with basimilus. Really adds a polish to the sound and makes it more drum machine and less like synth drums if that makes sense. The second input for the vca is nice because you can overdrive it nicely using a melody and drums into the filter.
BailyDread
mrerdat wrote:

I recalibrated my cutoff frequency to be a little lower than the conservative factory calibration, which they go over how to do in the manual. I don't mind hearing some clocking artifacts in exchange for increasing the useable frequency range of the filter a bit.

anyone have a demo of this? I'd like to hear how these clocking artifacts sound... how low can it go?
natureclubcassettes
can anyone confirm if the filter of the S950 is the same as the on on the AX-60? it sounds really similar in demos. Thanks!
thetwlo
natureclubcassettes wrote:
can anyone confirm if the filter of the S950 is the same as the on on the AX-60? it sounds really similar in demos. Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akai_AX60
nope. cem3394
ALM
Im pretty sure the s612 and s900 share at least a very similar filter but I don't know of any synths that include it.
wavefold
finally ordered mine after discussing it with Jack after a set, he totally sold me this adorably gorgeous module. can't wait to wreck some amens through it hyper w00t
lewisr7
rew_
just popping in to say that I'd had this in my rack for awhile and finally admitted I found it a little lifeless—just not a lot "filtering" going on, very little difference it seemed between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock...

until! I followed the calibration procedure in the manual and it made a big difference. it now sounds exactly like what I thought I was getting.

so if yours seems like it's lacking in dynamics, give calibration a whirl.
lewisr7
I have a strange experience with this filter and was wondering if anyone else can confirm or deny... (I'm on my second one now so it's not a faulty unit.)

Basically there is weird audible digital noise artifacts present at various point across the frequency range of the filter. Certain cutoff frequencies yield very noticeable spikes in the noise.

It's hard to explain exactly what the noise sounds like but it ranges from digital bleeps and bloops (especially noticeable when cutoff is under fast modulation) to full on squeals when you happen upon one of the spiking points.

At first I thought I could just increase the volume of my input to drown out the annoying noises, but the filter clips before the noises are fully masked by the desired signal.

I should mention that these sound artifacts are distinctly different from the clock sound that is mentioned in the manual, i.e. the sound that occurs when you push the cutoff lower than a certain point.

Does anyone else have any experiences like this? It's making an otherwise beautiful filter a real pain to use.
Summa
what PSU do you have in your case? Is it a switching supply, they do tend to generate the sounds you're referring to.
lewisr7
Summa wrote:
what PSU do you have in your case? Is it a switching supply, they do tend to generate the sounds you're referring to.

I'm just using the built in power supply on an Arturia rackbrute.

I did think that this must be power supply related but it seems strange that the noises are so tightly coupled to the mum m8s cut off frequency (i.e. spikes at certain cutoffs, changes pitch eratically as you sweep the filter, disappears completely at some cutoffs). I don't hear anything like this with other filters too which is also odd if it's coming from the power supply - admittedly I know very little electronics so I could be missing an obvious connection here.
michaeljohnson
wavefold wrote:
can't wait to wreck some amens through it hyper w00t

where are those amens then? hyper
honeysmack
rew_ wrote:
just popping in to say that I'd had this in my rack for awhile and finally admitted I found it a little lifeless—just not a lot "filtering" going on, very little difference it seemed between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock...

until! I followed the calibration procedure in the manual and it made a big difference. it now sounds exactly like what I thought I was getting.

so if yours seems like it's lacking in dynamics, give calibration a whirl.

I feel the same, and need to go thru this process
paperCUT
lewisr7 wrote:
Summa wrote:

I did think that this must be power supply related but it seems strange that the noises are so tightly coupled to the mum m8s cut off frequency (i.e. spikes at certain cutoffs, changes pitch eratically as you sweep the filter, disappears completely at some cutoffs). I don't hear anything like this with other filters too which is also odd if it's coming from the power supply - admittedly I know very little electronics so I could be missing an obvious connection here.

It's a switched capacitor filter where the cutoff is controlled by a clock's speed. Clock noise is a side effect of these filters.
lewisr7
paperCUT wrote:
lewisr7 wrote:
Summa wrote:

It's a switched capacitor filter where the cutoff is controlled by a clock's speed. Clock noise is a side effect of these filters.

Yeah, I fully expected to hear some clock noise but it just seems like something specific about my set up that's making these noises so loud compared to the input signal that they are intrusive. Like I said before any attempts to turn up the input volume to drown out the noise leads to clipping in the filter. I am taking the out of the MUM M8 straight into my soundcard...

I thought the signal being too hot might be the problem but surely this would just make everything loud equally and as such not make the noises any more noticeably loud compared to the input in my case...

I was just wondering if other people had similar experiences... Are you saying this is something everyone experiences? Thanks smile
bemushroomed
rew_ wrote:

How is the filter supposed to sound, originally though... if that's really how it sound originally then i think i would prefer that over something that borders into something that begins to sound like something else.
rew_
bemushroomed wrote:
rew_ wrote:

How is the filter supposed to sound, originally though... if that's really how it sound originally then i think i would prefer that over something that borders into something that begins to sound like something else.

I suppose it's possible that ALM went to the trouble of reproducing an affectless filter and that after following the (very simple and clear!) calibration procedure in the manual I just happened to stumble onto a more dynamic but historically inaccurate sound but...I dunno, man, what do you think is more likely.
ALM
rew_ wrote:
bemushroomed wrote:
rew_ wrote:

I suppose it's possible that ALM went to the trouble of reproducing an affectless filter and that after following the (very simple and clear!) calibration procedure in the manual I just happened to stumble onto a more dynamic but historically inaccurate sound but...I dunno, man, what do you think is more likely.

All the calibration procedure basically does is set/limit the low end and range of the filter. If set too low then it will have more effect (as in wider frequency range) but will introduce clock noise (a high pitched whine at low cut off). From the factory the MUM M8 should be calibrated so the low end is just above the clock bleed and its not heard - the same as the S950.

The MUM M8 is very much about having the specific 900/950 'sound' (steep cut off, sucking like sound, not fully closing) with some nice additions (resonance, mild saturation etc) rather than being a regular general synth filter with a wide frequency response etc. For it to really shine is tends to need a harmonically rich or complex input.

It could be your unit was mis calibrated from factory, you are not hearing/minding the bleed or you are just feeding it a source it cant really get its teeth into. There is nothing wrong with calibrating it to taste of course - that is what the controls are there for.
coolshirtdotjpg
Has anyone compared this with a bionic lester mk1? I’m curious how the few switched capacitor designs stack up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2