MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ambience (your fav 'verbs, delays, granulators, and more)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author ambience (your fav 'verbs, delays, granulators, and more)
Tristana
Hey all,

As my first adventure into the world of Eurorack, I'm looking to build up a system focused on ambience, texture and soundscapes.

I already have my eyes on modules like Intellijel's Rainmaker, MI's Clouds (of course), and chips like the Halls of Valhalla for Tiptop's z-DSP.

But, I'm curious- what are your favorite modules on the ambient side of things? Anything from reverbs/delays, drone focused oscillators, resonators, to granulators and more- what're your go-tos for creating spaces?
kingcons
The Dual Looping Delay is highest on my "instant yes"/gratification scale.

I've also enjoyed Erbe Verb and the ER-301 a lot. Clouds and Morphagene are great too but I don't honestly feel I've spent enough time with either to rate them honestly.
FetidEye
personally I like resonant equalizers, resonators, and FM. and radio modules
With the EQ modules & distortion such as the plague bearer you can extract artifacts from the sound sources and make them ring and howl.
I like to use feedback!
With noise & the sample / radio modules you can create cool textures to layer with drones .

effect modules I frequently use for this:
-Serge resonant EQ (x2)
-Fitzgreye polymoog resonator
-L1 quad vc EQ
-FoH plague bearer
-WMD geiger counter

Oscillators / generators:
-Musicthing modular radiomusic (pseudo radio sample station. look it up!)
-RF Nomad (real AM radio)
-WMD PDO. for PM / FM drones, chaotics blips and pads
-Orgone Accumulator - drones and layers of bass
-noise oscillators for adding chaos & texture in dronespaces
-4ms noiseswash
-m669 osc/effect

it also helps if you have enough (matrix) mixers.

for the rest you will need envelopes, LFO's and VCA's etc. maybe some filters smile
AMillionMonkeys
I love the Erbe-verb. I mostly just use it for reverb but once you start feeding it CV, it can do some cool stuff.
sansnom
@austinthecairns on instagram has Rings, Clouds, Morphagene, Plonk, and an ER-301 and a bunch of other gear in various configurations that you should have a look at.

Their sounds are top-notch: https://rbeny.bandcamp.com/
pieter
I second the Erbeverb with CV in. Also, the Benjolin: for it's glitchy sounds, but even more importantly for its chaotic CV in LFO mode. Brings every ambient patch to life.
tebs213
The WMD/SSF DPLR does some wonderfully strange things with CV and messing with the spread in the stereo image. Really nice for percussion and for more ambient sounds. Audio Damage Dub Jr. MK2 also sounds particularly good and it’s feature set really allows for easy experimentation.
AuralAntithesis
MN DPO can do some SERIOUS SUNN o))) drone with a few slow LFO's and a little bit of random modulations on a few tasty wave shapers.
spukhaft
I'm not a eurorack purist, so I used external 19" rack effects. You can get huge, lush effects for very little $.

I also make big, spacious ambient, and I absolutely love my Behringer DSP2024P. You can pick them up from about $80. The Behringer Virtualizer 3D FX2000 is the follow up model. About $130 new.
natureclubcassettes
erbe verb and shapeshifter in chord mode
Koryo
For me it's a combo:

Make Noise - Morphagene

INTO

Radikal Technologies - RT-1701 EFFEXX
wildfrontiers
My main squeezes

Mutable Instruments Clouds
granular processing, reverb, time-stretching, pitch-shifting, delay, tape delay, distortion, bit modifying, filtering, looping, spectral processing, resonator

Orthogonal Devices ER-301

sampling, looping, granular processing, reverb, time-stretching, pitch-shifting, delay, distortion, bit crushing, filtering, eq-ing, pretty much whatever you want

Make Noise Morphagene
granular processing, tape splicing, sampling, looping, time-stretching, pitch-shifting, sound-on-sound

Doepfer A-189-1
bit crushing, bit modifying, distortion
clusterchord
FetidEye wrote:
With the EQ modules & distortion such as the plague bearer you can extract artifacts from the sound sources and make them ring and howl.
I like to use feedback!
With noise & the sample / radio modules you can create cool textures to layer with drones .

-Serge resonant EQ (x2)
-L1 quad vc EQ
-FoH plague bearer
-WMD geiger counter

great list thumbs up been meaning to get into controlled feedback for ages, incl. a doepfer matrix mixer, resonant eq or two etc, but get sidetracked with buying moaarr oscillators n filters, that i don't need.

while some are interesting character wise like erbeverb, overall i still prefer the power, quality and dimensionality of outboard reverbs. so in euro i only got Echophon and Chronoblob for cv delay/pitch, and Music Thing with few tanks for spring reverb, but my main ambient processing/spatialisation rig is:

Lexicon 300 & PCM-81 with Dual FX card
Eventide Orville & Space/Timefactor
Roland Space Echo RE201 & Boss DM300 analog dly

for oscillators:
E350 pair is natural for evolving drones, textures and ambiances
Endorphin FG with its wavefolding, fm, am and slow external modulation
Hertz Donut mk1 and mk2 - fav for evolving fm and edgier dirtier stuff
FadingCanvas
Erbe Verb and Rainmaker are my favorite ambient sound shaping tools. Currently I'm also blown away by the Verbos Bark filter processer. I used Clouds a lot, but it got less when I got a Rainmaker.
suboptimal
Outboard is often so much better from a bang-for-buck standpoint that it can be hard to recommend modules, especially if you're after end-of-chain pieces. I love the Erbe-Verb, much more than I expected to, but that's partly because it serves all kinds of interesting duties in the modular environment, not just as a final reverb.

I like the way a cascade of spring reverbs sounds with certain material pushed through it. Gain staging and proper wet/dry mix is essential.
moremagic
the echophon has probably added th most out of the fx modules ive used, the clock modulation adds a lot to a lot of things
JohnLRice
For delays and reverbs I think external pedals and rack units more often than not sound better and are more cost effective than modules. For instance just look at what the TC Electronic Hall of Fame and TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 give you in versatility and sound quality for only $99 and $149 respectively. Sure, no CV control but . . .

OK, all that said, I do love the Synth Tech E580 delay and Modcan Dual Delay.
cptnal
FetidEye wrote:
I like to use feedback!

-Serge resonant EQ (x2)
-L1 quad vc EQ
-FoH plague bearer
-WMD geiger counter

Oscillators / generators:
-Musicthing modular radiomusic (pseudo radio sample station. look it up!)
-RF Nomad (real AM radio)
-WMD PDO. for PM / FM drones, chaotics blips and pads
-Orgone Accumulator - drones and layers of bass
-noise oscillators for adding chaos & texture in dronespaces
-4ms noiseswash
-m669 osc/effect

for the rest you will need envelopes, LFO's and VCA's etc. maybe some filters smile

The SMR is also useful for resonant howls. I've always thought of it as an "ow - my ears!" kind of inconvenience, but maybe I could harness that for creative purposes... evil
nectarios
In terms of effects.

Have:

Clouds: My favorite ambience module by far. Its the way the interface is set up and how you can interact with it that makes it the best for me. Its not the best "quality" and its the least expensive, but its so fun and instant gratification to have massive texures and drones + the extra modes are gold. I want a uClouds to add.

Rainmaker: Sheer power, always wanted a hardware version of Delay Designer in Logic Pro since I moved to Ableton Live. Not nearly as fun as Clouds, but it does its thing and its great.

Echophon: I've been using this most in tunes (since I've also had it longer than the rest), pure experimental delay, much more than an end of chain delay effect. Personally I much prefer the pitch shifter of the Echophon to the Rainmaker, but of course the Rainmaker has 15 taps more.

Had and sold/played with but decided not buy:

Mungo g0: Best quality of anything I've ever played with. The sound is head an shoulders above anything else. Massive pain to set up for real time processing, which is why I traded it for a 4msDLD.

4ms DLD: Well, its a looping delay so it relies a lot on what you feed it, very nice amount of control and CV, I did not use the looper part of it, mainly because it would drift out of sync (my Rainamker suffers from this as well, or maybe its user error on my part, who knows), so it was just an expensive stereo delay for me. Good fun, but I sold that and Scooper to fund the Rainmaker, made a pseudo DLD preset on the Rainmaker so I don't miss the DLD one bit.

Morphagene: I was dead set on buying this cause I always wanted a stereo Phonogene with longer memory but after playing with the Morphagene I was put off by its interface and the way it works in general. Did some nice patches with it but at the end, the price and how it works, made me decided against buying it. Good friend I make music with has it, so I get to play with it everynow and then.

ErbeVerb: Very nice experimental module, much more than an end of chain reverb, feedback gave some nice textures, but in the end my cheap Lexicon MPX-1 and MPX-500 sound *much* better, to me, as reverbs, so again the price of the ErbeVerb made me decide against buying it.
I did like using it as a source and then putting it through a Lexicon verb, but yeah, personally I could not justify the cash for it.

If Make Noise make a "better" sounding mk2, or if I find a cheap 2nd hand EV in a few years when the next hot reverb comes out, I might snatch one, just to complete the Make Noise system I have...same goes for the Phonogene.
FetidEye
as for a patch example:

-make a slow chaotic LFO
(with several voltage controlled saw wave LFO's that modulate each other,
I use the WMD PDO, 4 synced Oscs /lfo's for repeating patterns)

-Feed this into a distortion, like the plague bearer.

-Then resonate the resulting clicks with a feedbacked EQ

-Add some reverb & delay if you want.

The result is a highly controllable cloud of pinged sounds that can go from bells to noise and back. short and long impulses get stretched. With feedback you always have the edge that is very sensitive, but very interesting.
fwheel
Intellijel Rainmaker to Verbos Bark Filter Processor is all I ever need anymore, really. Although Dual Looping Delay and Erbeverb are great additions as well.
nectarios
[s]https://soundcloud.com/nectesting78/serge-resonant-eq-feedback-patc h[/s]

Serge Resonant EQ, self patched and into a nice reverb makes nice drones

https://soundcloud.com/nectesting78/serge-resonant-eq-feedback-patch
js213
JohnLRice wrote:
For delays and reverbs I think external pedals and rack units more often than not sound better and are more cost effective than modules. For instance just look at what the TC Electronic Hall of Fame and TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 give you in versatility and sound quality for only $99 and $149 respectively. Sure, no CV control but . . .

Same here. I love my HoF, as well as my Strymon BlueSky and Brigadier.

I really want the Rainmaker having just watched a demo of it yesterday.
Estes
a good outboard option could be the Oto Reverb and Delay. My buddy has them and they sound very good.
Josef_K
nectarios wrote:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/nectesting78/serge-resonant-eq-feedback-patc h[/s]

Serge Resonant EQ, self patched and into a nice reverb makes nice drones

https://soundcloud.com/nectesting78/serge-resonant-eq-feedback-patch

Wow, that sounds great! What reverb did you use?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4