MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Finish My Percussion Rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Finish My Percussion Rack
calvinsomething
I've got a BSP for gates (8 gate tracks), using the Volatage Block for modulation. How would you finish this rack?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/559076
Mr. Sound Boy King
calvinsomething wrote:
I've got a BSP for gates (8 gate tracks), using the Volatage Block for modulation. How would you finish this rack?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/559076

That looks neat and not at all dissimilar from my rack.

I'd add a random source and a touch interface for interjecting humanity into rhythms. For me, this is a Wogglebug and Synthwerks FSR-4 but there are of course limitless options.
blacklight
You need a more powerfull sequencer, like a varigate 8+ or an eloquencer.
A mixer and some VCAs are also needed, maybe also a VCA with distortion. also Some Mults, a sequential switch and something that can compliment the voltage block, maths or some tight envelopes.
Richie Jape
stick a plonk in there SlayerBadger!
blacklight
Richie Jape wrote:
stick a plonk in there SlayerBadger!

+1
Circus of Mind
LPG? Swap BSP for V8+?
I like the WMD Chimera...
calvinsomething
blacklight wrote:
You need a more powerfull sequencer, like a varigate 8+ or an eloquencer.
A mixer and some VCAs are also needed, maybe also a VCA with distortion. also Some Mults, a sequential switch and something that can compliment the voltage block, maths or some tight envelopes.

There's a mixer there, you mean for CV? VCAs for what exactly at this point? Distortion? There's distortion in the Hot Glue.

The Voltage Block seems like it goes perfectly with the BSP with 8 channels of CV...

I'm confused by these recommendations... What would I get first?
calvinsomething
Circus of Mind wrote:
LPG? Swap BSP for V8+?

What would I run through the LPG that I have in the rack?
calvinsomething
I was thinking of something that could be used as a synth voice as well as percussion. Like this: (not sure what problems I'm creating for myself, though)

Circus of Mind
calvinsomething wrote:
Circus of Mind wrote:
LPG? Swap BSP for V8+?

What would I run through the LPG that I have in the rack?

Maybe a small OSC like dixie. I sometimes put the BIA through a lpg to smooth out some of the high harshnesss.

2hp freez is fun with percussive material as well.
Random gate or burst generator?
Randy
Did you get a chance to look at Stacey's (Hexinverter) rack at the Toronto Sound Festival?

Randy
calvinsomething
No, I didn't go...

Do you remember what was so interesting about the rack?
alanza
Pressure Points or Tetrapad to turn your more general percussion modules like BIA into a whole kit is my only firm suggestion. A random source and maybe some logic stuff to play with the gates coming off the BSP and/or Pam's could also be cool if not necessary
i'll second the chimera. lots of good sounds in there.
monoscan
pressure points would make things fun.

a Ladik M-210 is a great option if you have a drum machine you like and want to use the sequencer to trigger drum modules.

I bought a mutant hot glue after having every other hexinverter mutant module, but it wasn't something that i found especially useful. I'd rather send drums out to individual channels on my 18i20. that noise engineering one looks ridiculously fun. I think I'd go with that over an Audio Damage Neuron, though that looks like a fun module too.

also, erbe verb. send all that stuff into some reverb and make your drums sound awesome!
Bartimaeus
Doepfer VC Clock Multiplier / Ratcheting Controller!

Also, add a Batumi! What's the point of going euro if you're not going to be modulating all of your modules subtly at all times?
andrewhuang
I'll second the Varigate 8+, I love it for drum sequencing. I'm not seeing any talk about snares?! You can make neat ones with Basimilus but a dedicated module could be useful, Mutant's pretty great and clearly you're on board with Hexinverter!
mookmoof
Logic, switches, pattern gate generators, envelopes, vca, oscillator, lpg
smithknows
You need a mixer for sure.
Hot glue is made for drums.
roger
Maybe you can take some inspiration from this video:

Tumulishroomaroom
Instead of Pamela or in addition to Pamela I would get a more playable and more instant fun trigger module like Numeric Repetitor or Zularic Repetitor or the new clock divider NE just came out with. Pamela is incredible, but a bit too tedious to program for fast drum changes . It's more a set and forget kind of module for me, which doesn't work best with drums I find.

Other that that I would get a couple effects like DPLR/Pico DSP. Straight drum sounds can get boring after a while, tasteful effects change everything. A Plonk or a Tip Top One or both would also be great to add some variety.

Edit : Oh and also sequential switch and logic as a way to do some kind of conditional trig. Really useful for variety.
calvinsomething
So, logic, sequential switch, CV mixer, more rhythm sequencing.

Does the Voltage Block make sense? That's the only thing from the top post I haven't purchased yet.

Would I be better off just using gates to modulate the drums, like a Varigate 8+?

Or is both preferable?

I want to be able to fine tune the amount of modulation, though.
bc3
Maybe some more filters to ping for tom like sounds?

epoch modular twin peaks, random source variable q vcf, and 4ms SMR are some examples I have been using in my drum eurorack case.
Tumulishroomaroom
calvinsomething wrote:
So, logic, sequential switch, CV mixer, more rhythm sequencing.

How can I use gates to modulate the percussion modules precisely? Do I run the gate through an attenuator first so I can try different voltages?

Or do I run CV through a VCA and control the VCA with gates?

You use gates to trigger your percussion module and then you can trigger events (Enveloppes, sync'ed/unsync'ed LFOs...) to modulate your percussion modules. That's where I find a module like Numeric Repetitor (in my case) really helpful, to give a steady yet variable rhythms to my modulations. Of course Many modules can do this, any cool clock divider/switch combo really. You can also use gates directly into the modulation inputs of some drums modules, it works really well with the Basilimus Iteritas and the other Iteritas oscillators as well. (there are quite a few videos showcasing this on YT)

edit since you edited as well :
Yeah, definitely get a Voltage Block, it's an invaluable tool for modulation. I just aded one to my rack a few days ago and it's really powerful. Hands on and you quite really fine tune what you want (especially modulation it's a bit more tedious if you aim for melodies but it's very capable too in this domain).
calvinsomething
Thanks very much. So maybe a Maths would be a good next purchase.

I still feel like 8 gates from the BSP is a lot to work with, and would prefer to sequence the drums from there. The Pam's can also do some nice rhythmic stuff.. Maybe a Varigate 4+ and a sequential switch..

I think I want to have a synth voice in the bottom that can also be used for percussion. I like the Octature II as I don't have any Roland style sounds in my current setup.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2