MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Monitors
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author Monitors
kbrush
what are you cats using? I’ve gone through several sets of Genelecs and still have a pair of the older 8350’s that I’ve used for ages.

Need an extra pair for the new studio and have been leaning towards Barefoot but they’re a bit large for the space to squeeze into. Any recommendations are most appreciated
itsritual
Yamaha HS50 + hs10w sub. Have the means to upgrade, but just never felt the need to. Been completely happy with them.
Sinamsis
I'm really fond of my Focal Twin6 Be... I'm not expert. I was using a shit pair of Behringer Truths before. I had been set on a pair of Event Opals, but after waiting over 6 months (maybe longer, I've blocked it out) on a preorder from Sweetwater, I gave up and bought the Focals. The Focals have such clarity and detail to me. Some say that they're harsh or fatiguing; I've not really noticed that. I might eventually get a sub for them, but they sound pretty good as is.

Barefoots look nice. But expansive AF. haha. I'm sure they sound wonderful though.
kbrush
thanks for sharing! I've looked at Focal's before also, they seem rather nice. Will def take another peek

Without getting too gearsluty, and i might be here, i've found the Genelec's to be overly flattering

they just sound great always. when i mix down with them and take the tune to my car or a friends setup my mixes sound anemic. ghosty lows, flat highs etc. i'd actually prefer (need?) a more hateful monitor. or maybe just more honest.

if i was mixing down for live sets the Genelecs would be no-brainers
Koekepan
Go ahead, laugh ...

I use a pair of iLoud Micromonitors.

They sound way better than they have any right to for their size, and except for falling off below 50Hz, they give a really honest response. That, and there's so little room that the fact I can mount them on mic stands turned out to be a godsend. A couple of really cheap, round base mic stands, and they're right where I want them.

Edited to add: I also have a couple of Shure in-ear monitors, and I use other speakers for mastering and monitoring purposes, such as a Bosch PB360.
kbrush
no laughs at all. I'm not familiar with this monitor but definitely will look into

gear doesn't need to be fancy to be effective. thank you!
shroom81
Check out Focal Shape 65, if I was buying monitors today I'd pick those.

But it sure sounds like the room you're mixing in is giving you the problems cause Genelec make pretty accurate monitors. Buy a measurement mic to find the best speaker placement in the room, then get acoustic treatment/room correction software to take care of the rest of the problems.
Pase
Koekepan wrote:
Go ahead, laugh ...

I use a pair of iLoud Micromonitors.

They sound way better than they have any right to for their size, and except for falling off below 50Hz, they give a really honest response. That, and there's so little room that the fact I can mount them on mic stands turned out to be a godsend. A couple of really cheap, round base mic stands, and they're right where I want them.

Edited to add: I also have a couple of Shure in-ear monitors, and I use other speakers for mastering and monitoring purposes, such as a Bosch PB360.

No laughs here at all!

I got a pair of iloud micro monitors too, and in my non treated room they sound way better than my previous JBL lsr305.
Technologear?
Munro sonic egg 150. Bought on a closeout deal, solely on the SoS review. Very happy.
The latest genelec one's look amazing, very cutting edge speaker design. You'll get heaps of accurate bottom end with a 3 way.

That sounded dodgy, sorry!

Although consider spending your budget on an acoustician consult and room treatment. Your current monitors are pretty good
Muzone
Pase wrote:

No laughs here at all!

I got a pair of iloud micro monitors too, and in my non treated room they sound way better than my previous JBL lsr305.

No laughs here either, wouldn't even consider going up market from the iLouds unless I had a treated room - perfect for the 'home studio that isn't a studio but a room with music gear in' wink
mousegarden
Recommending monitors is almost as pointless as recommending shoes to someone, it's so personal.
But my preferred footwear, regardless of budget in ascending order are...
Behringer Truths (yes, for the money, they are actually very good) Tannoy Little Reds still crazy after all these years, ATC SCM25a, probably the best for me, at any price.
At the moment I'm using these Hi-Fi answers transmission line monitors.

Incredible clarity and realism, I have a pair of these in the wings should the above break.

I have absolutely no intention of spending tge outrageous sums asked these days on anything new, it's just not worth it, from what I've heard so far. Most bottom/mid range so called "studio monitors" all sound more or less the same to me, it's just the colour of the drive units and cabinet style that is the deciding factor.
Just pick something that you like the sound of, fits in your space, and fits your budget, and try not to let others influence your decision too much
Koekepan
Muzone wrote:
No laughs here either, wouldn't even consider going up market from the iLouds unless I had a treated room - perfect for the 'home studio that isn't a studio but a room with music gear in' wink

Speaking of sound treatments, as a farmer, I get access to things other people sometimes don't.

Well-tanned sheepskins can make good sonic treatment. Point the fleece side at your sound sources.
kbrush
lol that is awesome (and very effective i'd guess)
racooniac
have some old event tr8 xl that i dearly love but they sadly arent made anymore ;( so once they die i will have also to switch but i hope that wont be too soon.

the Dynaudio BM-6A which i heard in a friends studio also sound very nice.

personally i dont like the yamahas but in the end like already said its too personal to really recommend anything other than just try as many as you can LIVE for yourself and then decide what you liked the most.
mousegarden
racooniac wrote:
have some old event tr8 xl that i dearly love but they sadly arent made anymore ;( so once they die i will have also to switch but i hope that wont be too soon.

the Dynaudio BM-6A which i heard in a friends studio also sound very nice.

personally i dont like the yamahas but in the end like already said its too personal to really recommend anything other than just try as many as you can LIVE for yourself and then decide what you liked the most.

Event Opals are worth a try, great sounding, but a bit plasticky.
mousegarden
Muzone wrote:
Pase wrote:

No laughs here at all!

What's the power handling like on these iloud monitors? I'm not expecting miracles, but have they got "enough" bass to hear what's going on?
Shledge
Yamaha HS50Ms, got them back in 2006 and they've proved themselves over many times.

They REALLY make your mix sound like shit since all the imperfections come out, but once fixed it'll sound majestic on anything else. That said, I don't consider them half bad to listen to either.
L4nd3R
Shledge wrote:
Yamaha HS50Ms, got them back in 2006 and they've proved themselves over many times.

They REALLY make your mix sound like shit since all the imperfections come out, but once fixed it'll sound majestic on anything else. That said, I don't consider them half bad to listen to either.

Almost identical story here, except I got the m around 2010. Got used to a pair of old Yamaha NS10s back in the day so these were a logical choice for me and my limited studio space.

Recommended them to a friend and he couldn't be happier, but as most of you already said, monitors are quite the personal choice.

Yamaha HS50M thumbs up
slicetwo
I rock the Dynaudio BM5 with the BM9s sub. I love the setup. I might try and upgrade to the BM6 at some point, though.
Muzone
mousegarden wrote:
Muzone wrote:
Pase wrote:

No laughs here at all!

What's the power handling like on these iloud monitors? I'm not expecting miracles, but have they got "enough" bass to hear what's going on?

For anything with a lot of sub it can get a bit waffly, but otherwise I've been very surprised ~ it was these or the Genelec 8010s, couldn't hear a massive difference on my untreated room and the Gens have that awkwardly positioned input so went for the iLouds.
They have unbalanced in on stereo minijack and phonos which might be an issue for some more pro users, but I'm just a hobbyist wanting something to mix tracks on my laptop and they suit just fine smile
mousegarden
Muzone wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Muzone wrote:
Pase wrote:

No laughs here at all!

For anything with a lot of sub it can get a bit waffly, but otherwise I've been very surprised ~ it was these or the Genelec 8010s, couldn't hear a massive difference on my untreated room and the Gens have that awkwardly positioned input so went for the iLouds.
They have unbalanced in on stereo minijack and phonos which might be an issue for some more pro users, but I'm just a hobbyist wanting something to mix tracks on my laptop and they suit just fine smile

I think I would have made the same decision, simply based on the fact that Genelecs are a bit over priced for what they are IMO.
Ranxerox
slicetwo wrote:
I rock the Dynaudio BM5 with the BM9s sub. I love the setup. I might try and upgrade to the BM6 at some point, though.

I compared the BM5A Mk.II with BM6A Mk.II for a while at the store and went with the BM6A... They cost twice as much, but were less 'hyped' in the top end, and crucially - much less fatiguing after half an hour or so of listening...

I don't think you'd be disappointed!
dooj88
man, all you guys have nice monitors! i've been using a shitty set of sylvanias with two tiny tweeters and a 5" sub from big lots for several years and was able to scrap together $300 for an upgrade.. i see the rokit 5 g3s EVERYWHERE.. are they best bang for buck for nearfield in that $ range?
Koekepan
mousegarden wrote:

Yes, as long as you're not a sub freak. If you are, it's quite viable to add a sub to your setup, so that you have 2.1 monitoring.

If you're driving them hard, they get quite loud. I'm one of the quiet monitoring mafia, so that I don't get hearing fatigue. I keep them down low, so there's no issue with the sound distorting. It just sort of loses power as you slide below 50Hz.
memes_33
i've been using tannoy precision 8Ds for many years now, but considering trying out the focal alphas. the tannoys are okay, but i feel like i'm working too hard during the mixing process- lots of listening on other systems, not fully trusting my room, etc. feel like it's time for a change...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11