MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Building myself a Moog 1125 S&H....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Building myself a Moog 1125 S&H....
noddyspuncture
Hi folks,

Currently working on cloning my Moog 1125 sample & hold unit.. here are a few photos.

I've transferred the schematic to a vero board layout, checked it multiple times... found lots of errors which I amended, so hopefully it's OK now and have started building it.

The first (of three) 'layers' is done. Lot's of strange value resistors which I've had to 'make up'..!

I'm going to build this into a module using an original R.A.Moog blanking plate which came with my system. Just need to get a 'C' frame from Ben at Resynthesis... cool

Cheers,
Tom






noddyspuncture
The main board is done... just need to populate the sockets and then, loosely wire up all the pots and switches for testing. hyper


Rex Coil 7
so ..... very ..... subbed

Your efforts with your R.A.Moog Modular that you've set up as an honest to God live performance synth have been extremely inspiring. I've delved deeper into my own small modular to some degree inspired by what I've seen you do.

Keep on truckin'

thumbs up
ArboriaAuralist
Very nice! thumbs up

I, too, reuse my post envelopes to capture important schematic & component notes. oops
noddyspuncture
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
so ..... very ..... subbed

Your efforts with your R.A.Moog Modular that you've set up as an honest to God live performance synth have been extremely inspiring. I've delved deeper into my own small modular to some degree inspired by what I've seen you do.

Keep on truckin'

thumbs up


Why, thank you sir...!
Very kind of you... glad to be of 'inspiration' - by the way, tonight I finished wiring up all the pots, sliders and switches - loosely, onto the 1125 S&H board which is now ready for testing.

I applied power and checked the rails and found the correct voltages, always a good sign..! I then pressed the 'start' button - the LED blinked and I could control the blink rate with the rate knob. I then pressed the stop button and it stopped blinking... smile

So, initial tests are looking good. Next I'll look at the Trigger & CV outputs on my sillyscope... hopefully I'll see activity and the controls will all vary that activity as intended. I'm quite excited but taking it slowly... wink

Here's a couple of photos...


noddyspuncture
ArboriaAuralist wrote:
Very nice! thumbs up

I, too, reuse my post envelopes to capture important schematic & component notes. oops



Indeed... makes sense really... been doing that for decades, a very handy source of scribbling fodder...smile
Rex Coil 7
Tom, I think your synth deserves a placard like this one that I made for my own live performance 5U modular ....

... it's 50mm x 100mm and bolts to the center most - upper most module panel on my synth.



thumbs up
noddyspuncture
Hi folks,

So, here's the first video of my DIY Moog 1125 sample & hold module... I got it working today.

Only using one channel of CV here, just the pitch for now, and playing my Minimoog. It's all working apart from the noise generator - the noise chip was getting warm so I removed it while I was debugging a few faults I had.

One IC I used which I already had - the 3080 - was faulty and would you believe, a transistor array IC that I bought brand new had one transistor in it that was open circuit..!

Next up I need to check out the noise generator - would anyone know if the MM5837N should run warm to the touch...?

Rex Coil 7
Hey Tom ... s-u-p-e-r great work! I could not do any better myself at all, that is for sure!

Question is: It sounded more or less like a quantizer that was quantizing either a triangle or sawtooth wave, rather than a "random sample hold" circuit.

Is that due to the noise circuit being AFU? (all fudd up) which required you use a saw or triangle wave to sample?.

Put another way, would your circuit sound more ~random~ if it were sampling from a working noise source?

Also, the slider with the red cap, does that produce slew limiting or does it add a bit of "pitch envelope (attack)" time? It was difficult to tell.

Understand I'm not being critical, I'm simply curious (inquisitive bastard, I).

thumbs up
noddyspuncture
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Hey Tom ... s-u-p-e-r great work! I could not do any better myself at all, that is for sure!

Question is: It sounded more or less like a quantizer that was quantizing either a triangle or sawtooth wave, rather than a "random sample hold" circuit.

Is that due to the noise circuit being AFU? (all fudd up) which required you use a saw or triangle wave to sample?.

Put another way, would your circuit sound more ~random~ if it were sampling from a working noise source?

Also, the slider with the red cap, does that produce slew limiting or does it add a bit of "pitch envelope (attack)" time? It was difficult to tell.

Understand I'm not being critical, I'm simply curious (inquisitive bastard, I).

thumbs up


I left the noise IC out as I was having problems getting it all working at first. The noise chip was getting quite warm, so I thought I'd get the thing running first and look into that last.

The Moog 1125 has a fader to fade between the noise source and also a sawtooth waveform - the sawtooth has a speed control labelled as 'pattern' and it interacts with the main trigger oscillator speed... rather like the two LFO's in the Moog Sonic-6 interact..!

That is what you're hearing here... the slider with the red cap is a 'glide' effect that makes the steps glide into one another rather than jump instantly.

Today I tried addressing the noise side of things. I bought two MM5837N's... from China ( d'oh! ) - and neither seem to be working, so I probably bought some of those infamous 'fakes'...?!?

Actually, one of the two transistor array IC's I bought, the SG3821, was also faulty. One of the 5 internal transistors was open circuit... I was chasing my tail with that one all day yesterday...!

So I am still trying to get it work fully but I'll get there eventually. Then it's "making the case time'... I'm using an R.A.Moog blanking plate which came with my system and I'm gonna call it the "1125-A" cool
Rex Coil 7
Tom posted this earlier in another thread ... thought I'd go ahead and add it here.

noddyspuncture wrote:
I finally completed my Moog 1125 sample & hold 'clone' which I've built into a 1U case using a spare R.A.Moog blanking panel I had.

I also added a few extra features... here's a vid... cool

noddyspuncture
Hi folks,
Here are a few - eek! - more photos of my sample and hold build...













































sanders
wait a minute, you hand drilled and cut into an original RA Moog blanking panel? thats a bit extreme, no?

that said, you did a nice job hand burring those slide-pot cut-outs. Always wondered if there was a way to do cut-outs like that by hand... must have taken a long time.
noddyspuncture
sanders wrote:
wait a minute, you hand drilled and cut into an original RA Moog blanking panel? thats a bit extreme, no?

that said, you did a nice job hand burring those slide-pot cut-outs. Always wondered if there was a way to do cut-outs like that by hand... must have taken a long time.


That is exactly what I did - believe me, I was weighing up the idea for a long time... and I wasn't actually using the blank anyway.

Some folk were telling me I could sell it for quite a lot as they are rare... but in the end I told myself that I wanted all my panels to be original Moog - and R.A. where possible - in my modular, so I bit the bullet.

I ended up 'covering' most of the panel anyway with my engraved plates - but it makes me feel better knowing that I 'added' some of myself to the R.A. panel...!

It was kinda like my other, 'unknown prototype' module in reverse. In that case I had the unfinished prototype - probably an experiment by Bob himself - with components missing etc... which I completed and then made my own case for.

I was happy because although it might be my own custom panel - I know what's behind it... love

And yes... the slot filing took quite a long time - no room for error really, that was the only frightening thing.

Cheerz,
Tom
Rex Coil 7
noddyspuncture wrote:
sanders wrote:
wait a minute, you hand drilled and cut into an original RA Moog blanking panel? thats a bit extreme, no?

that said, you did a nice job hand burring those slide-pot cut-outs. Always wondered if there was a way to do cut-outs like that by hand... must have taken a long time.


That is exactly what I did - believe me, I was weighing up the idea for a long time... and I wasn't actually using the blank anyway.

Some folk were telling me I could sell it for quite a lot as they are rare... but in the end I told myself that I wanted all my panels to be original Moog - and R.A. where possible - in my modular, so I bit the bullet.

I ended up 'covering' most of the panel anyway with my engraved plates - but it makes me feel better knowing that I 'added' some of myself to the R.A. panel...!
It was either doing what you did, or selling it to some ~collector~ that would have parked the panel in their own R.A. Moog Modular (or far worse, hanging it on the wall, framed for all to see how "cool" it's owner is because he/she owns a blank Moog panel).

This way Tom, that panel will be relegated to putting out music and sound that will fill the hearts of your audiences ... rather than adorning someone's living room table next to all of their other collectables and conversation pieces. The oddest thing is that the only thing (the only thing) that makes that panel "collectable" is the name on the panel. After that, there's no magic fairy dust in it, there's no misunderstood electronic mojo within it's makeup ... it's just a metal panel with a name on it, no different than any number of other metal panels with names on them. You did the right thing, in the end.

Best to be free doing what it was designed to do (serving as a basis for customization) rather than living it's life in some "zoo" for all to see.

Good call.

Nice work as well! Right back to the very core of the spirit of "DIY". Do what you can, with what you have, to make what you want.

This is what I love about what it is that you do Tom. You march fearlessly into each project, functionality takes priority over form, and you know precisely what it is you want. At the end of the day, you hit the mark squarely on the bull's eye.

This is why I say your R.A.Moog Modular and the way you've approached it's modifications for live performance use as "inspirational" ... it truly is!

"Damned the torpedoes .... full speed ahead!" (with great regard to the past).

Yup.
noddyspuncture
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

This is why I say your R.A.Moog Modular and the way you've approached it's modifications for live performance use as "inspirational" ... it truly is!


Thanks Brian - that really is very much appreciated sir...!
thumbs up
Sos_b0ss
The amount of passion this must've taken, I love it!.. Great job on this beast, looks beautiful and must preform better knowing your heart went into making it.. NEVER stop what you do! razz nanners
noddyspuncture
Sos_b0ss wrote:
The amount of passion this must've taken, I love it!.. Great job on this beast, looks beautiful and must preform better knowing your heart went into making it.. NEVER stop what you do! razz nanners


Thank you...!
love
sanders
This is a really great sounding S+H, by the way. It seems particularly adept at these staircase type melodic runs, as in your video example.

I heard an 1125 once before, and I was really impressed then also.

Can you explain the controls a little? It looks like there's quite a bit of extra control that isn't part of a typical S+H module.

It's coincidental to come across this 1125 posting, as I've recently been squaring up the idea of reproducing the 1130 Percussion controller. There's a great image online of the trace side of it's fairly simple PCB; plus the drawing in the manual of the parts placement, along w schematic. Should be pretty straight forward. I've always wanted to use one w my Mini.


noddyspuncture
sanders wrote:
This is a really great sounding S+H, by the way. It seems particularly adept at these staircase type melodic runs, as in your video example.

I heard an 1125 once before, and I was really impressed then also.

Can you explain the controls a little? It looks like there's quite a bit of extra control that isn't part of a typical S+H module.


Hiya,

I don't really know how I could put it all into words and describe it all successfully...! I tried messaging you with a file, but it didn't work/attach.

If you message me your email address I'll send you something that also covers the 1130.

Cheers,
Tom
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group