MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Squire Vintage Modified PJ
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Squire Vintage Modified PJ
deke
I am not a bass player, but bought this for the times when I want to record a bass part within my skills.

I simply can't believe how nice of an instrument this is for $299. It is ridiculous. Should I feel guilty as this might only be possible due to super low cost foreign labor? I'm older and come from a time when cheap guitars or cheap basses were simply awful.

Meanwhile, playing bass (or trying to) is so much different than I imagined. As a guitar player for decades I had no idea how playing bass makes you think about the chords of the song in such a different way. In addition, I never realized just how much the bass player carries... just about everything including the beat.

Anyone else new to bass and/or has a bass from this line?
Jason Brock
I had a Classic Vibe series P-Bass for a while - amazing quality for the price. I should have kept it...will probably try to track down another.

I bought my wife a Vintage Modified Jaguar too. It plays great, though it has one low fret in the higher register, and I didn't notice it until long after I bought it. It's fine for her though, she's just learning to play and stays in the lower position of the neck anyway.
phase ghost
Agree, totally. I have a 5 string Squire P-Bass, and it's a great instrument. Not a single complaint.
deke
Jason Brock wrote:
I had a Classic Vibe series P-Bass for a while - amazing quality for the price. I should have kept it...will probably try to track down another.

I bought my wife a Vintage Modified Jaguar too. It plays great, though it has one low fret in the higher register, and I didn't notice it until long after I bought it. It's fine for her though, she's just learning to play and stays in the lower position of the neck anyway.

Cool. I’m teaching my wife guitar too, but she doesn’t want to “pay her dues” on acoustic and plays all my electric guitars. I can totally understand why.
deke
phase ghost wrote:
Agree, totally. I have a 5 string Squire P-Bass, and it's a great instrument. Not a single complaint.

Man 4 is enough for me! :-)
cretaceousear
deke wrote:

You might be surprised - my mate bought a 6 string as it was sat in a shop looking unloved - the shop owner also hated it. Just a cheapo Harley Benton.
It's really fun to play - fret board is big enough to eat off, and you have to hit it differently from a bass or a guitar - I thought it would be a nightmare but it all helps in getting out of the rut. Rockin' Banana!
Jay F.
Hi,

I do own a Squier VM Jazz Bass.
I have mine for more than 8 years now.

I play in a cover band and it is my only bass guitar so far.

A very nice instrument indeed.
commodorejohn
I need to try a PJ configuration again; I had a little Ibanez in that configuration that sounded quite good, but sold it as it wasn't comfortable for me to play at all.

And yes, playing bass is a very different way of thinking about a song. I've always tended to make basslines central to my music, so I've had something of that mindset from the start, but actually trying to play the way I write on the real thing has definitely driven that home grin
Kent
Part of what makes overseas manufacturing relatively inexpensive in currency costs is that that many countries have no EPA or enforcement of things like the disposal of chemicals and waste product.

In Brazil, much of the pollutants that are used in the manufacture of PCBs was dumped into the river water. This was true in the '90s and 00's but I haven't followed since then.

So, it isn't just labor costs. There is a host of other considerations in play.
phase ghost
cretaceousear wrote:
deke wrote:

You might be surprised:

I was 4-string only for a long time, but after getting on the 5 string train, I don't think I'll go back. It took some time to get used to the extra string, and the wider fretboard, but that extended range is so worth it.
notjoesuthers
I have a Squier PJ bass that I've modified a lot and it's the perfect instrument for me now. Changing pickups made a big difference for me. It wasn't a bad instrument before, but once I swapped the stock pickups for quarter pounds, I couldn't put it down.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1