MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or
Worwell

Multi-Timbral Phase Modulation Sampler

The ASSIMIL8OR is a CV / Gate-controllable sampler with eight independent channels. Each channel is not only its own voice, but also has a separate audio output and a gate / trigger and three CV inputs. Given ever get two sample inputs and main outputs. Thus, Stereo Sampling and playback is possible. Mixed operation of stereo or mono is possible and is limited only by the maximum number of eight channels or parts.

The ASSIMIL8OR works with high-quality 24-bit AD and DA converters. Internally, however, sample and bit rate for lo-fi sound can be lowered, the latter is even CV-controllable. The samples can also be otherwise manipulated in many ways. Thus, the phase of a sample via CV or a different sample can be modulated. Likewise, the loop points can be controlled and the sample can be traversed with CV control (scrubbing), whereby wavetable similar effects could be achieved. The following parameters can be addressed via the gate / trigger and CV inputs:

• Pitch
• Level
• Bit Depth
• Phase Modulation
• Pan
• Scrub
• Sample Start
• Sample Length
• Loop Start
• Loop Length
• Release Decay

Samples and presets are stored on an SD card, which is easily accessible plugged into the module front.

28 hp
ignatius
looks great. can't wait to get hands on it and give it a run through.

is this nearing release? NAMM 2018?
x2mirko
Am I missing something? Do we really not have a thread about this already? Feels like this module has been in development for 2 years or so. Has it been released?

Anyways, I'm still interested, although I'm not sure whether this will be worth it with the ER-301 around, which lets you do all those things and more. I guess this has a few more outputs if you really need 8 instead of 4. Apart from that, I can't really tell what would be the big thing that makes this stand out.
ignatius
x2mirko wrote:
Am I missing something? Do we really not have a thread about this already? Feels like this module has been in development for 2 years or so. Has it been released?

Anyways, I'm still interested, although I'm not sure whether this will be worth it with the ER-301 around, which lets you do all those things and more. I guess this has a few more outputs if you really need 8 instead of 4. Apart from that, I can't really tell what would be the big thing that makes this stand out.

as with a lot of euro modules it's the interface, the sound feature set, price.

and.. why not have another sampler available?

i also thought there was a thread for it already but maybe it's rolled into one of the other rossum threads?
2disbetter
What I really love about this is the forward thinking to give each channel or voice 3 CV inputs plus a gate. This plays beautifully into getting more expression and direct control over samples and playback. (I'm looking at you MPE!)

2d
Worwell
An early look. Its as good as we had hoped.

2disbetter
x2mirko wrote:

I would say it is the immediacy of the function. Seems a little easier to perhaps dial in for sample playback. My guess is that it'll be cheaper as well but probably not by much. Rossum does build their modules extremely well. Some of the best build quality in eurorack IMHO. Some people might not want a sound computer and just want a quality sample playback engine.

That said even though the 301 has four outputs, don't forget that you can stack as many sounds/voices as the CPU can handle on one output. So you might have 4 outputs but 12 voices (for example) coming out of them.

2d
bemushroomed
Really prefer the BitBox interface over this, the layout is so logic + large touch display.. though only 4 outs.. not sure if this one can handle loops with slicing etc?
x2mirko
2disbetter wrote:
That said even though the 301 has four outputs, don't forget that you can stack as many sounds/voices as the CPU can handle on one output. So you might have 4 outputs but 12 voices (for example) coming out of them.

I'm well aware of that. I was just trying to find some feature that this has over the ER-301 and 8 individual outs could be relevant to someone. I don't see the immediacy to be a big selling point, as Rossum modules tend to be a bit over-complicated in general. Their solution to "menu diving" of plastering uniform buttons in a uniform pattern all over the face plate is... questionable to say the least. It's like there hasn't been any research on user interaction design in the last forty years, but that's a different topic that I don't want to get into.

Their modules are still great. I love my Evolution, Morpheus and Control Forge and I'm still interested in this one as well. You mentioned MPE in a previous post - and I think that's actually a great point. If one builds their modular around many similar voices for MPE, this could be great.
tommygee
Worwell wrote:

Thanks for putting up the video Worwell. What is your general impression so far ?
Worwell
tommygee wrote:
Worwell wrote:

Thanks for putting up the video Worwell. What is your general impression so far ?

I have only had it for a few days but I am very impressed. Some of the highlights for me so far are:

- The Phase Modulation abilities. I didn't know what to expect from this and wondered whether it would be that useful but it can generate some cool sounds. I have been using the E352 to PM the samples which you can hear from the drone sections of the video.

- The modulation options are off the charts. There are 3 CV inputs per channel but you are not just limited to those three for a particular parameter. You can access the CV inputs from the other channels. So you could have up to 24 different CV sources modulating all of the many parameters such as PM, PM Index, FM, Bit depth, level, panning sample start/end, etc.

- You are not limited to one sample per channel. You can create zones per channel with different samples triggered depending on the voltage level. Switching to a different zone can be gated or happen immediately.

- Its DC coupled so you can record CV or pitch audio samples way down and use one or more channel as a CV source.

- As mentioned above, it has intriquing possibilities for MPE which I plan to experiment with next.
Tropic Al
x2mirko wrote:
Am I missing something? I can't really tell what would be the big thing that makes this stand out.

I have a ER301 and am still very interested to check this out.
With Dave Rossum's lengendary history and experience when it comes to samplers and DSP I'm pretty sure this will sound good.
Tropic Al
Worwell wrote:

Thanks for the teaser! Don't know what's going on in the video but it sounds good!

Be nice to see / hear some basic patches with just one sample playing with the different types of modulation (especially the phase modulation).
Worwell
Here I used Assimil8or to create a My Life in the Bush of Ghosts inspired jam.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1856481992 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
CF3
x2mirko wrote:
2disbetter wrote:

I'm well aware of that. I was just trying to find some feature that this has over the ER-301 and 8 individual outs could be relevant to someone. I don't see the immediacy to be a big selling point, as Rossum modules tend to be a bit over-complicated in general. Their solution to "menu diving" of plastering uniform buttons in a uniform pattern all over the face plate is... questionable to say the least. It's like there hasn't been any research on user interaction design in the last forty years, but that's a different topic that I don't want to get into.

Their modules are still great. I love my Evolution, Morpheus and Control Forge and I'm still interested in this one as well. You mentioned MPE in a previous post - and I think that's actually a great point. If one builds their modular around many similar voices for MPE, this could be great.

Immedicay is definitely the selling point for me. I had a ER-301, and while very nice, you have to jump thru hoops to do the must basic sampler functions. It's tedious (albeit very flexible). Also the CPU on the ER-301 is under-powered for what it can do IMO.

Anyways super pumped to see one of these out in wild.
RGB
Glad to see this thing is actually making its way out of the lab (thought that would never happen).

Thanks for sharing the teaser. It would be great to see some more simple/straight forward examples of what this thing can do. I am sure that will come soon enough... have fun and enjoy getting crazy with it.

Any word on the elephant in the room, release & pricing ?
CF3
I'd actually like to see some screenshots! Is there any kind of waveform display?

So many questions??? MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Can't wait for a manual.
DruidTek
The PM sounds pretty wild! I'm also keen to know if this does sample slicing?
chess1
Price Price Price Price
mt3
w00t
2disbetter
bemushroomed wrote:
Really prefer the BitBox interface over this, the layout is so logic + large touch display.. though only 4 outs.. not sure if this one can handle loops with slicing etc?

Not to sideline the thread, but you know I was originally really against a touchscreen. Then I got a synthbox and toolbox and I was totally wrong. It is so quick to use a touchscreen. I love it. It really seems like an ideal way to interact with a module provided you can keep the cords out of the way.

That said, I think Rossum does a fantastic job of keeping the use of their modules pretty straight forward. There isn't a whole lot of nested functionality and things make sense once you read the manual.

I'm really looking forward to more videos of this. I'm interested to see what all they've done here.

2d
Daisuk
Three easily accessible cv inputs for all channels sounds ace. If it's one thing I find a bit annoying with Bitbox, it's having to assign cv modulation to cells all the time, and only having four of them.

I'm not sure I get the phase modulation part of it yet, to be honest. oops
10 Miles High
Want.

When? Where? How much?

10 Mh
bobbcorr
I was curious - with the ability to address the start location, direction, modulation, etc of a sample, doesn't this module kinda sorta deliver the capability of Morphagene out of the box, but with 8 separate channels to play with?
Funky40
Worwell wrote:

• Sample Start
• Sample Length
• Loop Start
• Loop Length

I wonder about how the resolution is on these parameters.
is it a fixed value, same regardless of the sample lenght or is it in relation to the sample lenght ? what resolution do you have ?
and: how´s the visual feedback when adjusting these parameters ? is there a zoom-in available ? if so, how to access ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 1 of 32