MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]
Author Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or
Worwell
tommygee wrote:
Worwell wrote:
tommygee wrote:
CF3 wrote:
I'm also most curious about this too..

I think tommygee is referring to this: From the EOS manual

Used on "sustained loops", when you hold a gate open, like a pad sound for instance.

Yes that is exactly what i meant :-)

I see. The looping has been pretty smooth but I’ll need to check if it behaves that way specifically. I will check when I get back in town in front of my gear. Happy new year to you all.

Thanks - HNY to you as well.

The modules does not have cross fading. Apparently, with all of the loop modulation options, it was not possible.
tommygee
Worwell wrote:
tommygee wrote:
Worwell wrote:
tommygee wrote:
CF3 wrote:
I'm also most curious about this too..

I think tommygee is referring to this: From the EOS manual

Used on "sustained loops", when you hold a gate open, like a pad sound for instance.

Yes that is exactly what i meant :-)

I see. The looping has been pretty smooth but I’ll need to check if it behaves that way specifically. I will check when I get back in town in front of my gear. Happy new year to you all.

Thanks - HNY to you as well.

The modules does not have cross fading. Apparently, with all of the loop modulation options, it was not possible.

Oh ok. Now you have had it for a while; still enjoying it ?
matttech
can it do alternating looping (ie: forwards/ backwards looping)?

That was always my favourite type of looping, and the easiest to get smooth - as the sample starts looping back from the exact point it ended up

This means you can easily loop ambient textures without any obvious loop point "jump"
CF3
Guess I'm gonna have to wait for manual. There's a number of ways besides "crossfading" to do it and have it sound decent without pops and clicks. Like matttech said alternating is another way. Auto zero-crossing detection is another one. The thing about samplers is there's so many ways to use them they tend to be specific to certain "kinds" of sampling because it would be impossible to have everything (unless it's pure software, but even still...).

Still very excited for this. Many thanks to Worwell for letting us all get a peak.
Guinness ftw!
Worwell
CF3 wrote:
Guess I'm gonna have to wait for manual. There's a number of ways besides "crossfading" to do it and have it sound decent without pops and clicks. Like matttech said alternating is another way. Auto zero-crossing detection is another one. The thing about samplers is there's so many ways to use them they tend to be specific to certain "kinds" of sampling because it would be impossible to have everything (unless it's pure software, but even still...).

Still very excited for this. Many thanks to Worwell for letting us all get a peak.
Guinness ftw!

Yeah, we should wait for the Company to weigh in on the technical aspects of the module. I haven't experienced clicks and pops for what its worth. The module is really great. It is a work in progress as they are continually updating the firmware but it is going to be great. I especially like the Phase Modulation and selecting samples in zones. I imagine this module being at the center of my setup for many years.
tommygee
Worwell wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Guinness ftw!

Yeah, we should wait for the Company to weigh in on the technical aspects of the module. I haven't experienced clicks and pops for what its worth. The module is really great. It is a work in progress as they are continually updating the firmware but it is going to be great. I especially like the Phase Modulation and selecting samples in zones. I imagine this module being at the center of my setup for many years.
damn I can't wait to get it Rockin' Banana!
bobbcorr
@worwell - I know this module and the ER-301 are very different animals, but if I were to say my primary goal is to facilitate eurorack performances, which would you say would be more helpful in a small (124HP) rack, and can you recommend modules you'd combine it with?
leitner6
How is the user interface?

the EMU Ultra was super intuitive to use.

Can you edit the sample, set the loop points, manage how the sample are spread across the key range, route modulation, etc? or do you need to do all of this externally?

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Worwell
bobbcorr wrote:
@worwell - I know this module and the ER-301 are very different animals, but if I were to say my primary goal is to facilitate eurorack performances, which would you say would be more helpful in a small (124HP) rack, and can you recommend modules you'd combine it with?

I haven't used the 301 so I can't compare it to that. The Assimil8or would be great for a smaller format performance rack. You could couple it with a multi CV unit like Pamela's New Workout, Batumi, Octocontroller etc. and get some great stuff with just those modules. I have been using PNW, Stillson Hammer 2, and Circadian Rhythms (8 outs for the Assim 8 ins), Control Forge/Satellite with it and it is excellent with those. You will also want to consider audio rate mod source for the Phase Modulation which is really look. A Dixie perhaps. A random source is always useful too, particularly for the sample selection by zone option. I've again been using either Control Forge or PNW for random with good results. To more specifically answer your question, if I were building the kind of system you are contemplating around the Assimil8or, I would probably go with PNW, Dixie, Batumi, Chronoblob, uBurst, and if they would fit, either Morphagene or Reflex LiveLoop. I hope that helps.
mekohler
So this can easily record from the inputs and be used as a looper? Can it delete files off the SD?
Worwell
mekohler wrote:
So this can easily record from the inputs and be used as a looper? Can it delete files off the SD?

Yes and yes. It can also record CV.
Jaypee
This waiting is killing me haha
bobbcorr
Worwell wrote:
I hope that helps.

Yes it does. I've whipped up a small 124HP performance rig proposal of what I think would go well with this module. Note the monome Earthsea and Ansible - lots of live performance opportunities there.

Swapping Pam's New Workout and the 2HP MIDI expander for Batumi + Poti would open up 3HP that I'd spend on an Erica Pico Drum module, IMO.

This relies on Disting for envelopes and another Disting for logic utilities and the occasional oscillator. Morpheus is both eye candy and raw bonkers filtering.

ALM SBG brings in pedal effects. MI Warps with Parasites is the best value in effects and it's stereo to boot, as is Morphagene and Ciao.

Worwell
bobbcorr wrote:
Worwell wrote:
I hope that helps.

Yes it does. I've whipped up a small 124HP performance rig proposal of what I think would go well with this module. Note the monome Earthsea and Ansible - lots of live performance opportunities there.

Swapping Pam's New Workout and the 2HP MIDI expander for Batumi + Poti would open up 3HP that I'd spend on an Erica Pico Drum module, IMO.

This relies on Disting for envelopes and another Disting for logic utilities and the occasional oscillator. Morpheus is both eye candy and raw bonkers filtering.

ALM SBG brings in pedal effects. MI Warps with Parasites is the best value in effects and it's stereo to boot, as is Morphagene and Ciao.

Looks great. I guess one of the Distings could do reverb?
Orange
Worwell wrote:
bobbcorr wrote:

I haven't used the 301 so I can't compare it to that. The Assimil8or would be great for a smaller format performance rack. You could couple it with a multi CV unit like Pamela's New Workout, Batumi, Octocontroller etc. and get some great stuff with just those modules. I have been using PNW, Stillson Hammer 2, and Circadian Rhythms (8 outs for the Assim 8 ins), Control Forge/Satellite with it and it is excellent with those. You will also want to consider audio rate mod source for the Phase Modulation which is really look. A Dixie perhaps. A random source is always useful too, particularly for the sample selection by zone option. I've again been using either Control Forge or PNW for random with good results. To more specifically answer your question, if I were building the kind of system you are contemplating around the Assimil8or, I would probably go with PNW, Dixie, Batumi, Chronoblob, uBurst, and if they would fit, either Morphagene or Reflex LiveLoop. I hope that helps.

I didn’t ask the question - thanks bobbcor - but your answer did help thumbs up
Looks I have to save some cash for Assimil8or ......hmmmm I also want to hammer the Stlillson 2 Dead Banana
bobbcorr
Modified for Even Moar Performance Powar.

dubonaire
bobbcorr wrote:

Im not saying one is better than the other and I haven't used the Assimil8or but they are quite different modules. The ER-301 Sound Computer is, as O|D describes it, "a voltage-controllable canvas for digital signal processing algorithms". It has a large and increasing number of signal processing units and a deep nestable algorithm system.

Aside from all the different digital processing units the ER-301 has, in terms of difference for pure sampling, it seems one of the key differences is that the ER-301 is 4 in - 4 gated out (configurable as stereo pairs) with 12 assignable CVs, while the Assimil8or is 2 in - 8 gated out (plus stereo out), with, I'm presuming, 3 CV per channel out.

Bear in mind though, that in the ER-301 internally you can route multiple sampling and other units to any of the four outs, so technically you can have many more than four signals out. That is a lot less immediate and obvious to control than it would seem to be on the Assimil8or.

Actually I wouldn't mind having both, but I think my modular is already becoming too complex.
JC14
kesserich wrote:
uncooked wrote:
Can it time stretch samples?

Seconded. Time stretching is must for me for any sampler euro or otherwise.

No it can not. I asked them and got the following reply:

"Time stretching is not a feature of Assimil8or. (The DSP focus of Assimil8or is phase modulation and extremely high-quality pitch shifting.)"
Daisuk
Does this have a price yet?
mwvm
JC14 wrote:
kesserich wrote:
uncooked wrote:
Can it time stretch samples?

Seconded. Time stretching is must for me for any sampler euro or otherwise.

No it can not. I asked them and got the following reply:

"Time stretching is not a feature of Assimil8or. (The DSP focus of Assimil8or is phase modulation and extremely high-quality pitch shifting.)"

just modulate the start point with a ramp lfo and end point to suit
Fleuw
Listed at Schneidersladen.de for a pricetag of 969€.

More info coming this week its says

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/rossum-assimil8or.html
bobbcorr
Fleuw wrote:
Listen at Schneidersladen.de for a pricetag of 969€.

More info coming this week its says

Even more interesting than the price tag is the promise of a final feature set, and hopefully some tasty demos. I'm really looking forward to this one.
digidandy
Fleuw wrote:
Listed at Schneidersladen.de for a pricetag of 969€.

I'll give them credit for making the ER-301 looking pretty nicely priced!
Jaypee
Now we need some in depth videos w00t
Marco Alpert
Here's the final production version. As you'll see if you compare it to the prototypes, there've been a few changes, all in the service of new capabilities that weren't imagined in the original spec.

As implied by the Schneidersladen listing, the USA price is $899.00. Available in March. And DivKid will be producing videos.

We're all pretty crazed with last-minute NAMM prep right now, but post-NAMM I'll be hanging out here to answer questions and go over some of the features in more depth, so feel free to ask away.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]
Page 3 of 35