MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or
digitalohm
@StateAzure

from what I understand, it does not read slice markers from outside sources.

Zones are Equivalent to slices, I tend to use the term slice from old habit. You basically load the same sample in each zone, then set the start/stop lengths individually.

IMHO doing this on the a8 is a bit cumbersome. The waveform display get a little rough to use when you load large loops. You can also load individual samples as well, mix and match etc. Each zone is a sample on a track so you could have the same loop loaded into 3 zones with different settings, and then 5 individual samples on the other zones. If you are using an eloquencer I can send you the voltage presets for hitting zones in a per note increment.
StateAzure
digitalohm wrote:
@StateAzure

from what I understand, it does not read slice markers from outside sources.

Zones are Equivalent to slices, I tend to use the term slice from old habit. You basically load the same sample in each zone, then set the start/stop lengths individually.

IMHO doing this on the a8 is a bit cumbersome. The waveform display get a little rough to use when you load large loops. You can also load individual samples as well, mix and match etc. Each zone is a sample on a track so you could have the same loop loaded into 3 zones with different settings, and then 5 individual samples on the other zones. If you are using an eloquencer I can send you the voltage presets for hitting zones in a per note increment.

I'd really appreciate that, thank you. I'll definitely be using the Eloquencer to do the work, although no doubt try the VB too just to experiment.

So for loops, it sounds like a good idea to try and keep them short. That'll give me something to prepare in the meantime smile

Cheers!
Funky40
digitalohm wrote:
The waveform display get a little rough to use when you load large loops.

what lenght is fine to still have a good or very good visualisation to set start points ?
how many bars ? at common bpms
tiger001
the longer sample, the less (detailed) visualization overall
ok, there are start & end point snap ons/cut outs
it is more a problem when searching start/end points in very long samples

the display stays the same - no matter the length, since there is no zoom
things can get a little crowdy/compressed

but i understand this (zoom) is in the making
StateAzure
Here's a little Instagram vid showing off the Assimil8tor, doing some subtle glitch and modulated looping etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl6HzGBl_pe/?taken-by=state_azure

It's only my 2nd day with it, and I'm kinda blown away how awesome this machine is and (unexpectedly), how easy it is to learn. It also pairs extremely well with the Eloquencer and also the Voltage Block, which is providing a ton of modulation too.

It definitely can be tricky editing start/end points on long samples. I'm going to trim the next lot down before I make a new custom folder.
meatbeatz
StateAzure wrote:
Here's a little Instagram vid showing off the Assimil8tor, doing some subtle glitch and modulated looping etc.

It's only my 2nd day with it, and I'm kinda blown away how awesome this machine is and (unexpectedly), how easy it is to learn. It also pairs extremely well with the Eloquencer and also the Voltage Block, which is providing a ton of modulation too.

It definitely can be tricky editing start/end points on long samples. I'm going to trim the next lot down before I make a new custom folder.

very nice applause
Funky40
meatbeatz wrote:
StateAzure wrote:

very nice applause

I double that impression !

but how long are now the samples (in bars) that you Guys feel conftable to work with in regads to set start and end points "properly enough" ?

respectivly: To what lenght will you cut down your samples StateAzure ?
damase
DID YOU KNOW

that setting up 8 linked channels firing the same sample, pitched shifted VERY small increments apart, with attenuated modulation in some FM inputs results in some amazing futuristic chorus-y detuned unison interaction on your sample. Bring up the modulation and it swarms around, bring it back down for the clean bliss.

toy around with panning, phase modulation, cycle, shifting start point small amounts... theres a lot to explore in this type of patch.

also, a small little feature request
it would be a really cool bonus if we could select internal channels' envelopes as a mod source option
StateAzure
Funky40 wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:
StateAzure wrote:

very nice applause

I double that impression !

but how long are now the samples (in bars) that you Guys feel conftable to work with in regads to set start and end points "properly enough" ?

respectivly: To what lenght will you cut down your samples StateAzure ?

Thanks!

One of the loops in that piece was 4 bars, that was already a bit too long and I found it difficult to land the start cursor on the transients. I think even 2 bars might still be tricky, but workable, I'll try that next.

Even better might be to make a custom loop with all the hits I want to use, into a 1 bar loop.
ehafh
It would be cool to see more demonstrations of the module used in a patch / track. I have looked around on youtube but it's kind of limited results. The Rossum demo's pre-release at conventions are ok, but I still can't tell if it's what I want to buy or not. If Rossum is making more demo's please consider integrating other companies modules too, that's a lot closer to real world use case.

Maybe the company could consider doing a contest with people making tracks that incorporate the module and winner gets some kind of prize?
Marco Alpert
ehafh wrote:
Maybe the company could consider doing a contest with people making tracks that incorporate the module and winner gets some kind of prize?

interesting idea. We'll give that some thought.
StateAzure
ehafh wrote:
It would be cool to see more demonstrations of the module used in a patch / track. I have looked around on youtube but it's kind of limited results. The Rossum demo's pre-release at conventions are ok, but I still can't tell if it's what I want to buy or not. If Rossum is making more demo's please consider integrating other companies modules too, that's a lot closer to real world use case.

Well here's another short one by me, I've used it in two tracks so far.

Sure, it's a very simple beat, but listen to the hats/glitchy part. THAT is what I was hoping the Assimil8tor would do well, and it does. I freakin' love this thing!
I sold my ER-301 for this, and don't regret it one bit.
digitalohm
Here are some voltage tables that I have/had working for two sequencers so far.

first is the winter modular eloquencer. this set was based on the default note of the eloquencer and incrementing by single notes. I also found good results when I used a wider range of notes and using the eloquencer cv range modulation

Zone 1 :
MinVoltage : +1.57
Zone 2 :
MinVoltage : +1.49
Zone 3 :
MinVoltage : +1.40
Zone 4 :
MinVoltage : +1.32
Zone 5 :
MinVoltage : +1.24
Zone 6 :
MinVoltage : +1.14
Zone 7 :
MinVoltage : +1.07
Zone 8 :
MinVoltage : -3.75

and here is one for the x0r nerdseq that is based on the default note of C-4 (however with nerdseq it remembers the last on the pattern so this is great for rapidly starting a new pattern, from there nerdseq is rapid af on everything)

Zone 1 :
MinVoltage : +4.56
Zone 2 :
MinVoltage : +4.48
Zone 3 :
MinVoltage : +4.39
Zone 4 :
MinVoltage : +4.31
Zone 5 :
MinVoltage : +4.23
Zone 6 :
MinVoltage : +4.14
Zone 7 :
MinVoltage : +4.04
Zone 8 :
MinVoltage : -5.00

YMMV depending on the calibration of your sequencer and possibly noise. Ive been using a Mordax Data to check the voltage levels and setting the numbers one below. For me working from zone 8 up just came natural idk why.

I've also just started editing the presets in text editors, so far I've used Atom and Visual Studio Code (both on mac). Im not sure if using Windows will add in some weird carriage returns or line feeds, but this ability is really great. You can configure quite a bit of a preset in an editor, load it and go from there. For example I might be at the office, without my modular (sometimes) and at lunch time I can browse through samples on my laptop, and configure a preset containing the stuff I want, and just copy the .yml to the card and immediately start experimenting.

ive also started a repo for a preset template (based on nerdseq)

https://github.com/digitalohm/assimil8or/blob/master/prst002.yml
ipnoteca
digitalohm wrote:
I've also just started editing the presets in text editors, so far I've used Atom and Visual Studio Code (both on mac). Im not sure if using Windows will add in some weird carriage returns or line feeds, but this ability is really great. You can configure quite a bit of a preset in an editor, load it and go from there.

would you be so kind to explain a bit how to prepare presets in text editors? we're not worthy help

as much as i love the assimilat8r the loading process is incredibly slow and annoying
gimber
digitalohm wrote:

I've also just started editing the presets in text editors, so far I've used Atom and Visual Studio Code (both on mac). Im not sure if using Windows will add in some weird carriage returns or line feeds, but this ability is really great.

I've had success with the basic notepad built into Windows, no weirdnesses.
ehafh
StateAzure wrote:
ehafh wrote:

Well here's another short one by me, I've used it in two tracks so far.

Sure, it's a very simple beat, but listen to the hats/glitchy part. THAT is what I was hoping the Assimil8tor would do well, and it does. I freakin' love this thing!
I sold my ER-301 for this, and don't regret it one bit.

Cool thanks for sharing this, I didn't stumble across it while on my youtube journey.

I currently have one in my cart and had one pre-ordered but canceled. Looking at this topic makes me feel like the OS did in fact release with enough stability to not worry a whole lot. But still thinking it over a bit before pulling the trigger :]

The demo tracks / info is really helpful making the decision
digitalohm
ipnoteca wrote:

would you be so kind to explain a bit how to prepare presets in text editors? we're not worthy help

as much as i love the assimilat8r the loading process is incredibly slow and annoying

so here is a starting point I'm using atm, it still needs refinement (especially because I just started playing with this)

I just use that as a base, name the file prst00X.yml where X is the next number (1 if folder is empty, otherwise increment). From there I can substitute in values for the samples, or anything else. the file on github should start you off with 5 configured channels.

From there I tried to keep most things generic.

channel 1-3 are what I would reference as "one shots" split by zone. The voltage mappings are specific to my sequencer (nerseq). currently my work flow does something like channel 1 is all kicks, 2 snares, 3 hats, etc etc...usually grouping things by their use.

channel 4 is what I would reference as a "sliced" sample, which is the same drum loop selected for each zone. You can see each one has a sample start and/or sample end.

channel 8 is normally what I used for melodic lines, so it's using a wavetable sample, with the tuning already in place so that I can just sit down and start sequencing melodies with it.

from here the parameters are all pretty straightforward, so as I start configuring things more and more (such as cv mappings etc) the file will evolve until it's pretty much a preconfigured screen.

I was going to start thinking about writing a script that could take in a sample meant for slicing, and generate the preset code (like channel 4) that would make 8 even slices based on the sample length. I think that would speed things up when slicing and adjusting at the module.
gimber
ehafh wrote:

A few more examples that might be helpful: the last 10 posts or so on my instagram feed are using the assimil8or as the primary sound source. There are filters and a couple other voices for pads, but the bassline, melody, kick, snare, hat, and some additional percussion are all from the a8. I'm using most of its cv inputs in these posts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmC5RItnmks/
StateAzure
gimber wrote:
ehafh wrote:

A few more examples that might be helpful: the last 10 posts or so on my instagram feed are using the assimil8or as the primary sound source. There are filters and a couple other voices for pads, but the bassline, melody, kick, snare, hat, and some additional percussion are all from the a8. I'm using most of its cv inputs in these posts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmC5RItnmks/

Those are some cool examples of the Assimil8tor! Is it easy enough to get those wavetables running on the Assimil8tor by the way? I have those Synth. Tech. Wavetables from wave edit. I guess I can just drop them in and get scrubbing?
gimber
StateAzure wrote:
Is it easy enough to get those wavetables running on the Assimil8tor by the way? I have those Synth. Tech. Wavetables from wave edit. I guess I can just drop them in and get scrubbing?

Thanks SlayerBadger!

I use those same wavetables. Setup is pretty easy, the size of each wave is 256 so you set your loop to that, then modulate the start and loop start parameters with the same CV to love around in the table.
Not as precise or smooth as a dedicated wavetable synth but definitely workable.
StateAzure
gimber wrote:
StateAzure wrote:
Is it easy enough to get those wavetables running on the Assimil8tor by the way? I have those Synth. Tech. Wavetables from wave edit. I guess I can just drop them in and get scrubbing?

Thanks SlayerBadger!

I use those same wavetables. Setup is pretty easy, the size of each wave is 256 so you set your loop to that, then modulate the start and loop start parameters with the same CV to love around in the table.
Not as precise or smooth as a dedicated wavetable synth but definitely workable.

Great, I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the infos smile
ipnoteca
digitalohm wrote:
ipnoteca wrote:

so here is a starting point I'm using atm, it still needs refinement (especially because I just started playing with this)

I just use that as a base, name the file prst00X.yml where X is the next number (1 if folder is empty, otherwise increment). From there I can substitute in values for the samples, or anything else. the file on github should start you off with 5 configured channels.

From there I tried to keep most things generic.

channel 1-3 are what I would reference as "one shots" split by zone. The voltage mappings are specific to my sequencer (nerseq). currently my work flow does something like channel 1 is all kicks, 2 snares, 3 hats, etc etc...usually grouping things by their use.

channel 4 is what I would reference as a "sliced" sample, which is the same drum loop selected for each zone. You can see each one has a sample start and/or sample end.

channel 8 is normally what I used for melodic lines, so it's using a wavetable sample, with the tuning already in place so that I can just sit down and start sequencing melodies with it.

from here the parameters are all pretty straightforward, so as I start configuring things more and more (such as cv mappings etc) the file will evolve until it's pretty much a preconfigured screen.

I was going to start thinking about writing a script that could take in a sample meant for slicing, and generate the preset code (like channel 4) that would make 8 even slices based on the sample length. I think that would speed things up when slicing and adjusting at the module.

cheers really appreciate it! Guinness ftw!

still hope they will implement a faster way to load samples in the folder in the future we're not worthy
Funky40
Thanks StateAzure for the feedback ! gives me a clear picture.
Nice Music.
Yeah, your hihat thing is also what i had in mind when i was initially interested in the Assimil8or.
some uncertainitys kept me off of getting one so far.
Still waiting a bit to see where they drive that Box to....
digitalohm
nvm
digitalohm
ok let me try this again grin

I wrote a basic python script that will get the samples in an audio file and generate the a8 .yml code that assigns 8 equal parts of the loop to a single zone as well as assigning the voltages based on a voltage table. The output can be copied and pasted into a prstXXX.yml file.

The voltages are stored in a variable prefixed with vt_ [voltage tables] and the idea I had here was that more people could submit or add the zone voltages they use specific to their sequencers and work flows. For example the vt_nerdseq_001 is a voltage table for the XOR NerdSeq that is mapping notes C-4 thru G-4 to zones 8 thru 1 (in that order).

the readme.md has some more thoughts as to where I'm hoping to take this, I might create a web interface to make things a little easier for anyone that doesn't want to use python. Possibly linking it to a folder in the repo where presets can be shared.

I have tested this with one loop so far (just finished it up today) but ideally this repo will progress towards a state where as much toil as possible is removed from the configuration process. Perhaps one day all the settings of a workflow that are tedious to set can be done so in the editor.

https://github.com/digitalohm/assimil8or-helpers

the script is the a8_slicer.py

If you find any issues, or better ways to optimize the code, im completely open for suggestions, this is really just a script that was thrown together as quickly as possible. I've only tested this on macOS, so I have no idea what is involved in getting python running on windows. I only had to "pip install" the "wave" library.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 28 of 32