MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patching Mother 32 and 0-Coast - any ideas for a neophyte?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Patching Mother 32 and 0-Coast - any ideas for a neophyte?
Righty
Hi everyone, first thread and third post. I have been lurking here a long time and took the plunge. Hope this is the right spot.

I got me an 0-Coast and Mother 32. Like both, learning how to use both, but pretty much seperately. What I am struggling with is using them together. I did search here and the web and while there are many posts on what to get, why each is great or not, I don't really see much on putting them together.

So the question is - does anyone have some ideas or resources on making these two boxes work together? Patches I could try? I have been successful with a few things, but am basically flying blind here. Say I wanted to use the Mother's filter on the 0-Coast. How do I do that? How about applying the 0-Coast Slope section to the mother? More than likely there are really interesting things I could do, but have no clue about. Thanks in advance.
Jason Brock
First, welcome to the forum! You might find more ideas about the Mother and 0-Coast if you search the Eurorack sub-forum. Even though these are technically stand-alone synths, they are discussed a lot there.
This is fun!

Righty wrote:
I have been successful with a few things, but am basically flying blind here. Say I wanted to use the Mother's filter on the 0-Coast. How do I do that?

You could just use one of the waveform outputs (triangle or square) from the 0-Coast and patch it into the Ext. Audio jack on the M-32. Patch the KB Out from the M-32 into the 1v/Oct input on the 0-Coast to control pitch. Set the Mix control on the Mother to noon and now you have a 2-oscillator M-32.

OR, set up the "Drone" patch from page 9 of the 0-Coast manual, then just plug its main output into the Ext. Audio in of the M-32. That way it is constantly making sound, but will get processed by the M-32. The key concept there is to understand that oscillators are always making sound, even when you don't hear them. The VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) is what controls the level of output, and is usually triggered by an envelope signal. But you could control the VCA from something else too. The VCA section on the 0-Coast is referred to as "Dynamics", so that "Drone" patch is using an steady DC offset control signal to hold the amplifier open, so it constantly makes a sound.

Righty wrote:
How about applying the 0-Coast Slope section to the mother?

The "Slope" can be thought of as an LFO, one with more features and variability than a typical LFO like the one in the M-32. It's a control signal, so send it to pretty much any input on the M-32. Try the VCA CV input, or the VCF Cutoff.

Hope that helps. I'm sure there are a lot of videos out there too, if you haven't searched yet. Basically there isn't any wrong way to patch, aside from the simple rule of not patching an output into another output (and even then, some rules are meant to be broken, but read the manual first).
Righty
Jason Brock wrote:
First, welcome to the forum! You might find more ideas about the Mother and 0-Coast if you search the Eurorack sub-forum. Even though these are technically stand-alone synths, they are discussed a lot there.
This is fun!

Righty wrote:
I have been successful with a few things, but am basically flying blind here. Say I wanted to use the Mother's filter on the 0-Coast. How do I do that?

You could just use one of the waveform outputs (triangle or square) from the 0-Coast and patch it into the Ext. Audio jack on the M-32. Patch the KB Out from the M-32 into the 1v/Oct input on the 0-Coast to control pitch. Set the Mix control on the Mother to noon and now you have a 2-oscillator M-32.

OR, set up the "Drone" patch from page 9 of the 0-Coast manual, then just plug its main output into the Ext. Audio in of the M-32. That way it is constantly making sound, but will get processed by the M-32. The key concept there is to understand that oscillators are always making sound, even when you don't hear them. The VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) is what controls the level of output, and is usually triggered by an envelope signal. But you could control the VCA from something else too. The VCA section on the 0-Coast is referred to as "Dynamics", so that "Drone" patch is using an steady DC offset control signal to hold the amplifier open, so it constantly makes a sound.

Righty wrote:

The "Slope" can be thought of as an LFO, one with more features and variability than a typical LFO like the one in the M-32. It's a control signal, so send it to pretty much any input on the M-32. Try the VCA CV input, or the VCF Cutoff.

Hope that helps. I'm sure there are a lot of videos out there too, if you haven't searched yet. Basically there isn't any wrong way to patch, aside from the simple rule of not patching an output into another output (and even then, some rules are meant to be broken, but read the manual first).

Man, you are my hero! THANKS! Can I buy you a virtual beer? Funny, but I did exactly what you described with the Drone patch about a half hour ago before reading this. So, maybe I am catching on a bit? I would say more, but don't want to be a long winded bore. I will work on everything you said. Thank you.

P.S. One ultimate goal is to have both synths generating some random sequences simultaneously while having some ability to control it all. Easier with the 0-Coast, but there are some tips out there on the Mother.
hermbot
You can use the sequencer of the Mother for lots of stuff, not just sequencing notes. It sends out a control voltage from the KB out - it can be used to sequence the notes being played by the 0-Coast but that control voltage can be used for anything.

If you use the sequencer on the overtone control of the oscillator, you get a pattern of timbres instead of notes.

If you apply it to the length control of the slope generator, you can get a pattern of note lengths.

Quote:
KB OUTPUT
Each time a new note is played via the keyboard, sequencer, or MIDI controller,
a control voltage (-5V to +5V) is output both to Mother-32’s onboard oscillator
and to the KB output jack.

ALSO: Get that Moog oscillator out into the FM input on the 0-coast! See what happens when the incoming oscillator stays at the same pitch while the 0-Coast follows a sequence. Then what happens when BOTH are following the sequence.
Jason Brock
Righty wrote:
THANKS! Can I buy you a virtual beer?

beer! Guinness ftw!
Righty
hermbot wrote:
You can use the sequencer of the Mother for lots of stuff, not just sequencing notes. It sends out a control voltage from the KB out - it can be used to sequence the notes being played by the 0-Coast but that control voltage can be used for anything.

If you use the sequencer on the overtone control of the oscillator, you get a pattern of timbres instead of notes.

If you apply it to the length control of the slope generator, you can get a pattern of note lengths.

Quote:
KB OUTPUT
Each time a new note is played via the keyboard, sequencer, or MIDI controller,
a control voltage (-5V to +5V) is output both to Mother-32’s onboard oscillator
and to the KB output jack.

ALSO: Get that Moog oscillator out into the FM input on the 0-coast! See what happens when the incoming oscillator stays at the same pitch while the 0-Coast follows a sequence. Then what happens when BOTH are following the sequence.

Thanks! Really appreciate it. We have people over. Can you believe I lied to go to the bathroom and check on the animals to really see if there were any replies... It is a sickness! :-)
Jhns
I tried this but strangely no difference. Should this work when one patches the main out from 0-coast to mother’s ext audio? Am I missing something or could it be that either my mother or 0-coast is broken? Btw it I patch outputs together is it going to broken my synth? Sorry about these questions I am noob on what comes to modular synths.

Jason Brock wrote:
This is fun!

Righty wrote:

Righty wrote:

crowleywaltz
Jhns wrote:
I tried this but strangely no difference. Should this work when one patches the main out from 0-coast to mother’s ext audio? Am I missing something or could it be that either my mother or 0-coast is broken? Btw it I patch outputs together is it going to broken my synth? Sorry about these questions I am noob on what comes to modular synths.

I don't have a Mother to check but some synths when you patch in external audio need a note triggered to hear the external input so try hitting a key to see if you hear the O-coast through it. Also never patch output to output.
Jhns
Strange, nothing happens when I tried this.

Btw, is there anyhow how I can check have I by mistake patched outputs together? Are the ones silent and is the synth working otherwise normally? I know if I had oscilloscope it would be pretty easy to track this but in case I don’t have is the any other ways to check this?

crowleywaltz wrote:
Jhns wrote:

I don't have a Mother to check but some synths when you patch in external audio need a note triggered to hear the external input so try hitting a key to see if you hear the O-coast through it. Also never patch output to output.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1