MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

USAMO touchy! Disting for MIDI clocks?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author USAMO touchy! Disting for MIDI clocks?!
PM33AUD
We've recorded the USAMO audio 'clock track' as played by a DAW transport, loaded these 'start','clock', and 'stop' pulse trains as one-shots into the OT and are placing these on trigs such that it runs the USAMO... it is working OK so far - but we aren't 100% confident in it yet being a reliable solution.... we think the problem is that the trimmer and gain are so touchy and slightest movements will just make the USAMO simply not work. We had the same issue with the gain/trimmer being extremely touchy when driving USAMO from the DAW as well. We are a bit worried that it isn't reliable for live use - if anything gets bumped, drifts, power fluctuations, whatever, then everything comes to a halt, immediately... which would not be good!

Q1) Is there anything that can be done to improve the 'lock reliability' to the audio clock pulse somehow? We don't need (or want) the USAMO to respond to any pulse events other than the clock, start, and stop events.

Q2) Also, the USAMO doesn't hit the clip indicator unless we crank the gain of the various gain stages of the OT and the trimmer just about maxed out on the USAMO. This is the +15dBu output of the OT (headphone was only thing hot enough). We are confused by this one as we assumed (maybe incorrectly!) the USAMO normally plugs into +4dBu level outputs of audio interfaces. I have my colleague testing this portion but maybe in the meantime, you could offer insight?

The only other solution I can find are the Multiclock unit but it is huge (we really don't have the room in the portable rack case which holds the interfaces and the OTs) and we really don't need 90% of what that thing has to offer. The other option (probably more traditional) is to go to a 'standalone master clock' device (like Midiclock) but then we loose a precious MIDI input on one of the OTs and cannot merge in any keyboard playing or MIDI controller knob CCs into this device without disruption of the clock timing. So this little trick where one OT is the master but only sends out audio as a master clock (which leaves its MIDI input free to be whatever data you want), then the other OT (and other MIDI clockable gear) gets the USAMO's MIDI clock out. It'd be a perfect little 'hack' if we can get it to work.

Q3) UDPATE: Got another alternative here! I just read that a Disting can read analogue clocks (for both gated run and not!) which I can easily generate from the OT, then process with a comparator, etc. on the modular then send this into the Distings to get my MIDI clocks. Question is how stable are these MIDI clocks compared to something like the USAMO or Innerlock, etc.?

LMK and thanks in advance!
os
1) Ideally you want the USAMO trimmer around 12 o'clock. It will be less sensitive to change around there.

2) Don't worry too much about the clip indicator. Aim for being around 12 o'clock and still passing the test (by adjusting the gain of whatever is driving the USAMO).

3) The disting would be as stable if you set parameter 2 of the MIDI clock mode to 1/1, because then it's generating a MIDI clock exactly when it gets an input pulse, and not having to invent clocks in between.
PM33AUD
os wrote:
1) Ideally you want the USAMO trimmer around 12 o'clock. It will be less sensitive to change around there.

2) Don't worry too much about the clip indicator. Aim for being around 12 o'clock and still passing the test (by adjusting the gain of whatever is driving the USAMO).

3) The disting would be as stable if you set parameter 2 of the MIDI clock mode to 1/1, because then it's generating a MIDI clock exactly when it gets an input pulse, and not having to invent clocks in between.

That's all I needed to hear... grabbing a mk4 now!

Thanks!
Phil
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1