New tracks

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: ignatius, Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

New tracks

Post by Cybananna » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 am

Usually I don't post my songs but what the heck. I'm in the mixing stage (that's not my strong area) I was curious about how they sounded on various peoples systems. Anything (drums especially) that sounds blown out is supposed to be that way. That's how I like it! :lol:

This one uses a my modular for a couple backing tracks. Other tracks are Moog Voyager. Drums treated with AU plug ins. Vocals are with moogerfoogers and AU Plug ins.

http://www.gristleaudio.com/TheSkysHaveEyes.mp3

This one may get vocals, i'm not sure. modular for everything except guitar (with rinngmod), bassline (Voyager) and drums (treated with AU plug ins)

http://www.gristleaudio.com/CMBP.mp3

Last one is Fizmo, V-Synth, PEK, and drums (treated with AU plug ins)

http://www.gristleaudio.com/Untitled.mp3

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New tracks

Post by cebec » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Cybananna wrote:Usually I don't post my songs but what the heck. I'm in the mixing stage (that's not my strong area) I was curious about how they sounded on various peoples systems. Anything (drums especially) that sounds blown out is supposed to be that way. That's how I like it! :lol:

This one uses a my modular for a couple backing tracks. Other tracks are Moog Voyager. Drums treated with AU plug ins. Vocals are with moogerfoogers and AU Plug ins.

http://www.gristleaudio.com/TheSkysHaveEyes.mp3
I like it! The drums sound good, as well as the synth bass. The vocals seem slightly mid-rangey and a tad too loud on my beyer-dynamic dt-880 headphones. That's the only thing I could find to criticize!
Cybananna wrote: This one may get vocals, i'm not sure. modular for everything except guitar (with rinngmod), bassline (Voyager) and drums (treated with AU plug ins)

http://www.gristleaudio.com/CMBP.mp3
Very cool. This one works as an instrumental and I like the mix. Good low-end.
Cybananna wrote: Last one is Fizmo, V-Synth, PEK, and drums (treated with AU plug ins)

http://www.gristleaudio.com/Untitled.mp3
This one's kind of hypnotic after awhile. I like the mood.

How were the drums done on any of these?

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks for taking the time to listen and give some feedback. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I always have trouble getting a mix to sound good on most stereos. You know, it sounds good in the studio but crap everywhere else. :bang:

Anyway, about the drums,

The first one was individual hit samples sequenced on an MPC2500. I'd have to check, but I'm sure I used some plug ins after It was recorded. Either the ones that came with DP and / or free ones.

The second was a few chopped up drum loops. I used Waldorf D-pole and I'm pretty sure I used some other plug ins.

The third was individual hit samples sequenced on an MPC2500. I'm pretty certain I ran it through a Sherman Filter mk2 and that's all.

I'll have to check later for what other plug ins I used. The Sherman is great for drums. I'll typically keep the samples clean in the MPC, weather they're hits of real kits or of analog type drum machines. Then process the crap out of them!

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Very cool tracks!

1st one: There's definitely something about the mix that's a bit "off": the vocal sound has a VERY high mid-rangey peak, which I'd cut hard. I'd also see if I could squeeze some high frequencies out of the drum sounds, perhaps comp the whole set a bit more. I really like the bed of modular underneath, and the chirpiness of it I dig.

CBMP: REALLY like this one, fantastic attitude and a few really nice cuts! I'd definitely consider cutting out the "quacky" synth a lot of places, it gets a bit repetitive, and perhaps I'd shift the distortion of the drums from harsh and hissy to harsh and meaty, if that makes sense? A bit more low-end, perhaps, or less cymbal? CAVEAT: I am quite tired right now, so the harshness may partially be ear fatigue.

Untitled: Fab synth presence. Two things:
1)The drums I'd take way down or even cut altogether. It seems quite brutal next to the more flowy and hypnotic synths
2) This file has tons of elements, but appears to be 100% mono? I'd spread things out a lot more.

erhm, I really hope this didn't come across as overly negative - I really do like these :sb:

cheers
A.

timmah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by timmah » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 pm

1st one. i'd play a bit with the quantising/timing of the hats and shakers, they seem a bit robotic, could use some swing maybe? rest of it sounds good.
2nd one. def use some work bringing the kick out in the bass/low mid area.
cymbals could come down in the mix, as could some of the synth lines.
3rd one. Vangelis-tastic! could use some high pass filtering on some of the pad lines and clean up the low end of the kick. to echo above, the drums seem a bit out of place.

enjoyed it
:guinness:

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:23 pm

wetterberg wrote:erhm, I really hope this didn't come across as overly negative - I really do like these :sb:
not at all. I was hoping to get opinions like you guys have given. Especially relating to the mix. I thought there was something off about the first one, but didn't know where to find it.

About being repetitive, a few things. CBMP was originally written for a guy to do vocals and he hadn't written them yet so I tried to give him space to write and then I would chop it around him. Then I decided I liked it as is.
:hihi: there is intention to the repetitiveness and harshness. People have commented that (especially live) I play at people, not to people. It's supposed to grate on the nerves to some extent. (also applies to track 3, but I love the idea, I think I'll do it both ways. one with drums and one with out! pt.1 and pt.2 maybe.)

However, at times I do think some of my stuff, especially one of my other projects can be too repetetive for it's own good. So, I appreciate the comment.

100%mono :lol: well, that's true. I've messed around with stereo before and didn't get what I wanted - likely due to my lack of experience there. and with some tracks i've done, i've thought it helps with the grating on the nerves! :razz: I should really learn though, some songs could benefit from it i'm sure.

Glad you liked them and thanks for taking the time to critique them!

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 pm

timmah wrote: a bit robotic
Thanks! robotic isn't all bad. :hihi:
timmah wrote:3rd one. the drums seem a bit out of place.
hmm, seems to be a consistent comment on the drums. I'll definately check the mix. I do like the drums and contrast with the synths so i'm keeping them, but after wetterberg's comment, I am going to do a version without drums.
timmah wrote:3rd one. could use some high pass filtering on some of the pad lines and clean up the low end of the kick
I assume you mean that too many sounds are occupying the same space? I tend to create that situation, sometimes it ends up being a good effect, sometimes not...

Again, thanks for the comments. lots of stuff to consider. :guinness:

Return to “Your Tunes Here”