MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elektron Analog 4 Mk 1 vs. Mk2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Elektron Analog 4 Mk 1 vs. Mk2
Haterade
Beyond the screen/size/outputs, is how big is the difference sound-wise? Huge improvement or just slight tweaks?
Luap
From what I gather, it is slight tweaks. Mainly to filter #2 and a different overdrive circuit.
Supposedly the 2 are patch compatible, so they can't be wildly different?
hpsounds
calaveras
Yeah, I've already decided I'm just going to go hard on my A4 until all the paint is rubbed off and the buttons need to be replaced. There is nothing that compelling for me to want to sell off the A4 MKI for the MKII. If they'd expanded the effects section, or implemented more sophisticated modulation routing that would be different. But the only notable difference was individual outs. And there is a way to accomplish that with the OG A4.
Nelson1978
The more I play with my A4 mk1 the more I love it.
Nutritional Zero
Without knowing too much about the specifics of the differences, I can only say that Analog Heat has really, really opened up my Analog Four MkI (and a whole bunch of other things besides).

If you're somehow considering selling MkI to upgrade to MkII I'l just throw in the idea of buying a Heat instead.
khyber
The A4 MKI has a more characteristic and warm vintage tone. The MKII is frankly too harsh and digital for my tastes Dead Banana
rean1mator
feel the same way with both a4 and rytm.

they need to do an OS overhaul on both IMO. IF they made the sample management easier on the RYTM, i would be all over it. but they haven't.

I haven't seen any big indication that either has signficant upgrades in sound over mk1 versions.

calaveras wrote:
Yeah, I've already decided I'm just going to go hard on my A4 until all the paint is rubbed off and the buttons need to be replaced. There is nothing that compelling for me to want to sell off the A4 MKI for the MKII. If they'd expanded the effects section, or implemented more sophisticated modulation routing that would be different. But the only notable difference was individual outs. And there is a way to accomplish that with the OG A4.
estin
Just an observation I've made, but plenty of youtube videos/demos of the A4 MKII are full of praise comments on how much better it sounds over the Mk1 not realizing there is an analog heat in the end of the signal chain. I think this has more to do with the "better" sound than anything else.
pdub
I had both here before I sold the MK I. I do prefer the sound of the MK II. The overdrive is more usable to me than the previous version and filter update is welcome.

Apart from those two updates the biggest difference I heard was that the MKII seemed to have more density, headroom and air. While the MK I felt a bit compressed and choked by comparison. I could hear this with just a simple Saw wave with no filtering or OD applied.

Both great units. But with the current MK I prices make the OG a real bargain.
desdinova
I'll stick with my A4K but yeah the price dip on the MkIs makes me think about scooping a couple up for a giant poly. Wish they'd add polychaining so you wouldn't have to much about with a midipal or similar.
I would've jumped if they tweaked filter topology to allow serial, parallel or mix of both, that would've been a great feature add.
orangehexagon
khyber wrote:
The A4 MKI has a more characteristic and warm vintage tone. The MKII is frankly too harsh and digital for my tastes Dead Banana

this is sarcasm, right?
Luap
orangehexagon wrote:
khyber wrote:

this is sarcasm, right?

Guess what they happen to have for sale... wink
pdub
Haha! Shhh.... Dont' drive up the OG price!
Nelson Baboon
i don't have the advantage of having both versions in front of me. I have the memory of the v1 to compare against the reality of the v2. The v2 has the related advantage of having 'buyer's enthusiasm'.

but holy fuck. the sound seems bigger and more solid, and more susceptible to severe baboonic bullshit. the fx sound better. (is this my imagination? I know that specs have been improved, but usually that would provide a subtle difference. Dramatic improvements like this might be due to psychology?).

but I'm setting up my first 'practice track', using only a small portion of its capabilities as I learn them, but using currently the lfos, a cv out, and the cv ins), not all quite implemented. have my tastes shifted this much? I didn't dislike the v1, but i'm just enthralled currently by the v2.

again - strong disclaimer here. maybe my tastes HAVE shifted, so that this just seems like an incredible flexible box for ME, whereas I used to find it a bit unexciting.

well, anyway. back to this sequence. need to implement cv in B.
pdub
I totally agree. I think the MK II is a big improvement sonically over the OG.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
there are still some bugs in the MkII OS that elektron need to fix, however they did release an OS V1.03b update. but there are still some bugs they haven't fixed, which is lame.

List of changes from OS 1.30 to 1.30B

Changes
[MKII] Key repeat rate has been increased.
[MKII] Menu keys are now lit when the menus are open.
[MKII] Filter 1 resonance slightly adjusted.

Bug fixes
[MKII] The mini keyboard LEDs would not show the correct note value.
[MKII] Control input port B would only be calibrated if set to the same mode as port A.
[MKII] Accent level could not be set.
[MKII] Pressing the active parameter page key would immediately toggle to the secondary page,
instead of showing parameter values.
[MKII] Graphics was missing from the settings menu.

Not fixed -
[MKII] Sound lock - why did they forget to fix this ?
pdub
What's the problem with sound locks? I have it working here on a drum track.

Thanks
Man-In-A-Suitcase
pdub wrote:

Thanks

When holding down a sound lock, the Sounds list covers up close to half the parameters, and none of the parameters are highlighted. They all seem to be set to 0 or their default state.
Nelson Baboon
hah - forgot that the damn thing doesn't have midi sequencing tracks. spent about an hour looking for it in the manual.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
You can get the A4 MkII to midi sequence via CV/Gate, by adding Kenton's Pro CV to Midi.
Nelson Baboon
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
You can get the A4 MkII to midi sequence via CV/Gate, by adding Kenton's Pro CV to Midi.

yes, i know that there are tools to do cv to midi. I have the squarp, which does it. But it's not quite the same as just setting it up in the sequencer itself. Luckily I have other midi sequencing, including the digitakt.
pdub
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
pdub wrote:

Thanks

When holding down a sound lock, the Sounds list covers up close to half the parameters, and none of the parameters are highlighted. They all seem to be set to 0 or their default state.

Ah ok I see that now. Size wise it seems fine. How could it be any smaller? I recall that's how it was on the MK I as well. I didn't notice the parameters changing to zero that is weird but I'm sure they will sort it out.
pdub
After spending the last week on some new cues I really have a even greater appreciation for the MK II. I always loved the A4 concept and functionality but the synth sound was always the weakest link IMO. It was just good enough but now it really shines. I think Elektron did a great job in addressing the weaknesses.
Red Electric Rainbow
calaveras wrote:
But the only notable difference was individual outs. And there is a way to accomplish that with the OG A4.

Whoa. How do you do that?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2