MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Chords?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Chords?
insoul8
What is a good module for producing chords? I'm getting the System80 Jove filter which has two inputs with a fade and was thinking I'd want to have my dpo in one input with something producing chords in the other that i can fade in and out. I'd definitely want to be able to control the inversions with voltage. I have a braids but getting precise chords on it are kind of a pain honestly. It's a great oscillator otherwise though. Have you guys tried the Qu-bit Chord? Is there something better out there I should be looking at? I was thinking the Castle too but i just don't have the space for it.
mdoudoroff
Try here:
https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192329&highlight=

Lots of other relevant threads, too.
insoul8
mdoudoroff wrote:
Try here:
https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192329&highlight=

Lots of other relevant threads, too.

Thx. When i searched for chord or chords, it gave me like 1800 results and i didn't come across this thread. i guess i need to work on my searching a bit but it kind of seemed like it was giving non-relevant results.
mdoudoroff
The search feature sucks. And it doesn’t help that MW members simply refuse to be disciplined about how they create threads. But the real nut is that the Eurorack forum is simply too big and spawning for this forum software—it just doesn’t have the organizational tools needed.

Sometimes it’s more constructive to use Google, as in:

chords site:muffwiggler.com
insoul8
mdoudoroff wrote:
The search feature sucks. And it doesn’t help that MW members simply refuse to be disciplined about how they create threads. But the real nut is that the Eurorack forum is simply too big and spawning for this forum software—it just doesn’t have the organizational tools needed.

Sometimes it’s more constructive to use Google, as in:

chords site:muffwiggler.com

Yea, the google option seems to work a bit better. It is nice to have the search feature back on this site though as i use it to search the good trader thread! That makes things so much easier.

RE: Chords- it seems like Braids is still my best bet by far for the amount of hp. I have the uBraids. That aside, it seems like the next best thing would be to get a couple Dixies to pair with the braids and just stick with my O+C.
mdoudoroff
I use O&C too. If you get to the point where you want to get really serious about chords, you should look at the Harmonaig and Sinfonion. They’re in a class by themselves.
insoul8
mdoudoroff wrote:
I use O&C too. If you get to the point where you want to get really serious about chords, you should look at the Harmonaig and Sinfonion. They’re in a class by themselves.

Thanks. I'll check them out. Never heard of them.
Navs
Does it have to be a module? A polysynth is better suited to the job.
insoul8
Navs wrote:
Does it have to be a module? A polysynth is better suited to the job.

Yea, i do like the idea of working within the modular but i do have some polys. What's the best way of getting their line level into the system80 filter? Just something like a pico input?
Hallmar
Intellijel Shapeshifter has a Chord mode.
Couldn't reccomend it enough, and you get one extra oscillator with it. Shitloads of wavetables, presets, inbuild attack decay VCA and more stuff.

Then there's the 1010 Music Synthbox which is a Midi Controllable polysynth in Euro format.
insoul8
Hallmar wrote:
Couldn't reccomend it enough, and you get one extra oscillator with it. Shitloads of wavetables, presets, inbuild attack decay VCA and more stuff.

Yea, i was considering that as well but i had read that chords were kind of a pain on it. Like you have to set them in individual presets or something to get inversions? Does that sound familiar?
SeattleDucati
Not eurorack, but Korg Minilogues are starting to show up used relatively cheap.
insoul8
SeattleDucati wrote:
Not eurorack, but Korg Minilogues are starting to show up used relatively cheap.

Yea, I'm good on polys outside of euro- I have a few. That may be the real answer here. Though it would be nice to have cv control over all the parameters like on the Castle or Qu-bit.
Fabong
I believe Qu-Bit make a module literally called Chord which looks quite nice with individual outs for each note.
insoul8
Fabong wrote:
I believe Qu-Bit make a module literally called Chord which looks quite nice with individual outs for each note.

Yea, that's what i was asking about in my original post. Have you tried it?
Fabong
insoul8 wrote:
Fabong wrote:

Yea, that's what i was asking about in my original post. Have you tried it?

Haven't had a go myself but from what I've seen on youtube it looks like a lot of fun. I guess it depends on what features you're looking for. Seems like a good melodic module to me.
jwm
i have (and full disclosure, am selling in b/s/t due to space) a chord. i love it, its a very easy to get into and immediately playable oscillator.

there has been some chatter on the net about how it handles things related to major and minor, but that wasn't something that mattered to me much.

the harmonaig is more or less (more really) the quantization part of the chord ripped out as a stand alone device (jason used to work with qu-bit), so if you like that aspect of the chord, but prefer a different osc core, then harmonaig might be a better way to go..

this is a little quick thing i did where the chord is the only voice

[s]https://soundcloud.com/jshmason/untitled-ix[/s]
insoul8
jwm wrote:
i have (and full disclosure, am selling in b/s/t due to space) a chord. i love it, its a very easy to get into and immediately playable oscillator.

there has been some chatter on the net about how it handles things related to major and minor, but that wasn't something that mattered to me much.

the harmonaig is more or less (more really) the quantization part of the chord ripped out as a stand alone device (jason used to work with qu-bit), so if you like that aspect of the chord, but prefer a different osc core, then harmonaig might be a better way to go..

this is a little quick thing i did where the chord is the only voice

[s]https://soundcloud.com/jshmason/untitled-ix[/s]

Thanks for the example. Sounds very nice. WHat exactly is the issue with how it handles major and minor chords? I guess that kind of does matter to me.
Hallmar
insoul8 wrote:
Hallmar wrote:

Yea, i was considering that as well but i had read that chords were kind of a pain on it. Like you have to set them in individual presets or something to get inversions? Does that sound familiar?

Never done anything with the presets to be honest, haven't gotten around to it. I have my startup preset and then I do whatever.

With chords you select your chord type and you kinda gotta stick with it, which works fine with me.
BUT with the new firmware update you can change chords with CV via the Mod B input.

It's pretty simple. The chord types are on page 15 and 16 in the manual
insoul8
Hallmar wrote:
insoul8 wrote:
Hallmar wrote:

Never done anything with the presets to be honest, haven't gotten around to it. I have my startup preset and then I do whatever.

With chords you select your chord type and you kinda gotta stick with it, which works fine with me.
BUT with the new firmware update you can change chords with CV via the Mod B input.

It's pretty simple. The chord types are on page 15 and 16 in the manual

Oh interesting, so the new firmware may solve that older issue related to changing inversions/chord types. This makes the Shapeshifter very attractive to me then. Thanks!
Mikeyg3k
Chord by QU bit is really fun. If You want to see it's potential, search out Fleggasauraus Rex on IG, he really puts it thru it's paces.

A much smaller and sample based chord player which is really nice is The alternate radio music firmware module called Chord Organ. It's shocking how good You can get this module to sound.

Another option is this quantizer that Instruo Harmonaig makes, which if You used with other modules would probably get You more control over Chords than most modules. Also The new Argos Bleak Oscillator Controller by Harvestman seems to use similar ideals but in a different way. They both look amazing.
tuj
Personally I use the now-discontinued 24-oscillator PatchChord module with expander. It's really quite awesome for chords.
insoul8
Thanks. That patchChord looks pretty awesome! All good options.

i guess the question now is, do i get a cheap input module so i can just run my polysynths into the jove, do i get a couple dixies to use with my braids and o+c (and maybe get something like the Harmonaig down the road), or do i get a shapeshifter and use that in cord mode as it seems like the firmware now allows me to change chord inversions on the fly with cv.

I guess i could also wait until i get a larger case somewhere down the road and get a Castle. It really sounds interesting to me and i always loved the old yamaha fm synths. and it does chords really well.
Tumulishroomaroom
For what it's worth I went with the Shapeshifter route for the exact same reason and I sold it when I bought a Digitakt as I found it more powerful/flexible/fun to sequence (sampled) chords with it. Given how powerful the Shapeshifter is and that I only have a 6u I felt it was a bit of a waste to keep it.

If space wasn't an issue I'd have gone with the Chord. QuBit modules seem very playable. However I really don't regret one bit to have this taken care of outside of the modular.
insoul8
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
For what it's worth I went with the Shapeshifter route for the exact same reason and I sold it when I bought a Digitakt as I found it more powerful/flexible/fun to sequence (sampled) chords with it. Given how powerful the Shapeshifter is and that I only have a 6u I felt it was a bit of a waste to keep it.

If space wasn't an issue I'd have gone with the Chord. QuBit modules seem very playable. However I really don't regret one bit to have this taken care of outside of the modular.

Good advice. I suppose I’ll get an input module and use my external synths when necessary. It’s the cheapest option so it can’t hurt to see how it goes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2