MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What modules for hip hop/rap?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What modules for hip hop/rap?
Oodo85
I see a lot of ambient modular stuff, I was wondering what modules do you guys think would serve well in making hip hop/rap music?
alanza
What role do you see the modular as playing in the song? Personally I think attempting a whole hip-hop track within the modular alone is likely folly, but at the same time it could play a really nice part in one.
mirth23
Plonk's got some hip hop presets for percussion.

Sampling and playing, is big in hip hop, so I'd assume ER-301, Assimil8or, Radio Music, Tiptop One, or something similar would be useful.

For fat kicks check out Entity, BLD, or make your own out of a LPF and other pieces.

Hip hop has a lot of different melodic sounds so I'm not quite sure what would go best there.
moremagic
genre & module use is not nearly so correlated as many posts make it look -- what do you want to *do* with your modular synth, not just what genre you want to play, is a much bigger question

you could just grab the AJH filter & vca, plug your 1v/oct into the filter and your gate into the vca cv in and get something (sorta) akin to dr. dre's minimoog squeal, or you could get a giant wall of modules that functions as a drum machine, bass sequencer, and sampler all in one, or anywhere in between!

a lot of hip hop synth sounds tend to come from classic fixed architecture synths, so something more "east coast" might be what you want: sawtooth vcos, adsrs, 24dB/oct LPF. there are many to choose from depending on your budget.

another thing that you will probably want is some sort of input/preamp so you can process samples inside the modular: i use the mutable/music thing Ears and the steady state fate Positronic Transient Gate for this
tuj
check out the TTA 808 and 909 modules for your percussion.

Otherwise modular is not genre-specific.
ignatius
ladik D333 rom players are great for old school drum sounds. the snares one has great punchy snares which would be great for hip hop.

but a said.. it's the patching that makes the genre.. not the modules.

varigate8+ is nice for hip hop..

shakmat four bricks rook would probably be nice for tappingin hiphop style beats..

http://www.shakmatmodular.com/products/4br.html

a compressor, reverb, some oscillators, a sampler (4ms STS).. a filter.. some VCAs, envelopes and lfo's and you'd be set.. i guess a delay module would be nice too.
Tristana
From what I've seen of the phonogene and morphagene, you could get a nice resampled groove going with either. Put some drums on top and a bass underneath, add vox and you're gold.
hawkfuzz
Depends on the vibe of hip hop you're trying to do really. I've been successful with the Braids WTx4 for a Rhodes-esque progression with any oscillator going through a filter for a bass line.

I've used a DPO for a eerie lead, Rings for a looping noise, Spectrum for bass, and STO for a kick...it's composition, not modules.

I always use my MPC or Electribe for drums to save space and increase ease of programming.
nickgrys
Drum modules, especially those based on the 808 and 909, as someone already said. Samplers. And a subtractive synth voice.

If you don't already have a plan for sequencer, look at the beatstep pro for your compositions.
kbrush
tuj wrote:
check out the TTA 808 and 909 modules for your percussion.

Otherwise modular is not genre-specific.

nailed it.
basicbasic
You want a CV-able clock multiplier for those ratcheted trap hi-hat patterns
Tristana
basicbasic wrote:
You want a CV-able clock multiplier for those ratcheted trap hi-hat patterns

Maths for exponentially displaced hi-hat stutters!
Oodo85
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Checking out all the suggestions in the thread.
itsritual
Roland Scooper. Makes drum loops sound crazy.
turin horsey
Any acts in particular you find inspiration in? Ever listen to Clipping? I think there's definitely a lot of interesting space for modular synths in hip hop. Makes me think of when an Oakland collective called Anticon was pushing boundaries here in the Bay way back when. Agree with what other people have said, modules aren't genre specific. But lots of good drum stuff out there to get you going. Hexinverter is my favorite, TipTop stuff is a bit too static for my tastes.
muddy ranks
One thing that's a definite, necessary element is drum programing with swing. Gotta have that. I've been curious myself on how to achieve this in a modular rig.
Oodo85
turin horsey wrote:
Any acts in particular you find inspiration in? Ever listen to Clipping? I think there's definitely a lot of interesting space for modular synths in hip hop. Makes me think of when an Oakland collective called Anticon was pushing boundaries here in the Bay way back when. Agree with what other people have said, modules aren't genre specific. But lots of good drum stuff out there to get you going. Hexinverter is my favorite, TipTop stuff is a bit too static for my tastes.

As far as hip hop? I like I good variety, Vince Staples, Danny Brown, Old School NWA/Eazy E, ILLFIGHTYOU, Death Grips, XXX, Ski Mask the Slump God, Shabazz Palaces, Father. Mr. Muthafuckin Exquire
turin horsey
Oodo85 wrote:
turin horsey wrote:

As far as hip hop? I like I good variety, Vince Staples, Danny Brown, Old School NWA/Eazy E, ILLFIGHTYOU, Death Grips, XXX, Ski Mask the Slump God, Shabazz Palaces, Father. Mr. Muthafuckin Exquire

Nice. Father floored me when Wrist came out. Death Grips kills, partly because they're truly nuts, and Zach Hill has always been legend with rhythm. With that said, you might be best off going with a semi-modular setup, some artists off the top of my head...

itijik incorporates some modular into his setup, but he really owns with drumbrute and elektron type instruments, his instagram account is worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJzmPNpcgVI

I know I've seen videos of Clipping rocking a huge 5u setup at some point but seems that they've gone less modular as they've gotten more popular, cool video of them with Baseck here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpkcUzOhTY

Anyone else got any examples of modular being utilized in hiphop tracks?
Mikeyg3k
Now is a great time to be into modular in terms of samplers. They seem to be getting more and more capable. Since samplers play such a big part of Hip Hop You should check those out. Tip Top ONE, 1010 music Bit Box, 4MS Dual sampler thingy (sorry i butchered that name) And Dave Rossum is apparently almost ready to release this Assimilator. Oh. And GrandPA by bastl. That's a good list to start with. There's more too.
dubonaire
muddy ranks wrote:
One thing that's a definite, necessary element is drum programing with swing. Gotta have that. I've been curious myself on how to achieve this in a modular rig.

Sequencers that have swing; switches and trigger delays; accents; envelopes for dynamics; retriggering envelopes.
InnnerSight
In the 30 odd years I have been listening to hip hop/electro, all I can say is pretty much anything goes.

Keeping it funky/jazzy is a general rule though, so a sequencer with swing will be your friend. Other than that experiment with sounds, hip hop is about blending styles and experimentation.
brandonlogic
I agree its more about what you do with what you have than what gear you use, but if you're looking to do some sample based hip hop in the rack, the er301 is soo good for it. it's so perfect for chopping drum breaks and samples, plus so much more. I guess im more into 90s hip hop and stuff like boards of canada, odd nosdam, etc, than modern hip hop or rap sound.

hip hop is really all about drums, put a chopped up drum break over any in time abstract patch. i've actually been experimenting with it lately and want to do more of it. maybe more downtempo than hip hop, but here im using 3 channels on the er301, one for the vocal stretch, one for the ambient granular melody layer, and one just looping a drum loop. plus a few other voices in the rack, bass line - etc.

ive also had fun with the voltage memory for triggering drum/melody samples manually mpc style, using it with the reflex liveloop here (with is great for glitchinig up samples too):

Warpsmasher
Qu-bit Mixology
Noise Reap Crossfade, or some other crossfading module. If there's one with a DJ style slider maybe that.
Peaks, for the kick and snare primarily, but it's all useful.
Warps, for distortion and vocoding. And crossfading.
Scooper definitely, Bitrazer too
DPLR, for the space echo
Morphagene, because of course.
Oodo85
Couple of noob questions for you guys since I see it being brought up here a few times.

Swing: I know this changes the tempo a bit? Or something? Wtf is swing exactly? I used it on my volca sample for sec, but still don't know wtf it really is.

Sampler: Why is a sampler so key to making hip hop?

Thank you everyone for sharing your input, I love modular!
Jefro
Oodo85 wrote:
Couple of noob questions for you guys since I see it being brought up here a few times.

Swing: I know this changes the tempo a bit? Or something? Wtf is swing exactly? I used it on my volca sample for sec, but still don't know wtf it really is.

Sampler: Why is a sampler so key to making hip hop?

Thank you everyone for sharing your input, I love modular!

swing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq1ggndk--8

Samplers are used so much in hip hop, ultimately, because it's a relatively cheap way to have access to an infinite number of instruments. Also the crustiness of an MPC60 just sounds good. Samplers allow layering of sounds and creatively cut loops and one shots. Hip Hop is traditionally heavily sample based.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2