MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I started building my first modular system on black friday
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I started building my first modular system on black friday
Notron fn

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/556341

I've got a cirklon with a cvio breakout, ms20m, sh2 and a karp module--but I've wanted to get into modular for some time. Here's the modules I bought on Black Friday sales to get started.

Thoughts?
JohnLRice
Congrats on a great start! thumbs up w00t Those Oakley VCAs are very awesome and you have most of the basics covered plus the unique and fun Krisp1 OCTO.

I would definitely get one or two small mixers next so you can mix all your audio sources to pass through the filter at once etc and you may want to mix several outputs of the OCTO together.

Next . . maybe a noise source, another type of filter, an ADSR type of EG, a ring modulator, another type of VCO (like a digital / wave table one), or . . . .as you know it can be endless.
ppkstat
John is right as usual. Next steps should probably include a mixer, multiples and a sample and hold that features a noise output.

Depending on how you play it you might also want to be looking into a midi interface.
Notron fn
John is an inspiration to folks on the I-5 corridor and beyond.

I’m interested in the STG mixer.

The oscs should arrive sometime in January.
daveholiday
ppkstat wrote:
Depending on how you play it you might also want to be looking into a midi interface.

If your signature is correct you have a pretty decent midi/CV converter already in your arsenal! I will warn you ahead of time, the CV outputs on the Syntecno do have a 1k resistor in the output path. What that means is that you will you will have increasing voltage droop when adding multiple inputs to a single channel. The easiest solution for this is to use a buffered multiple. STG makes a good one for 5U. If you are DIY, I came up with an onboard/internal solution, but is a bit involved as you need to remove the output resistors and solder in some jumper wires to an aux board.

There is more info on this here!
Syntecno Info

Congrats on your journey into modular!
Notron fn

But I could use this as well, right?
Ockeghem
Yes!
Mr. Green cool hyper thumbs up
JohnLRice
Notron fn wrote:
John is an inspiration to folks on the I-5 corridor and beyond.
hmmm..... At least at all the rest stop bathrooms! eek! hihi

Kidding aside, thank you! we're not worthy Hug
Flareless
Check out Oakley's Multimix. It's my favourite mixer. Tons of versatility
Notron fn
Hmmm. Oakley Multimix, STG, Moon 526.

All are tempting.
Notron fn
Edging closer.

I got a postal slip today saying that I need to pick up a shipment. Hopefully it's the Krisp1 built VCOs.

A fellow from work used to build wooden boats--so I'm enlisting his help for the case.

I've bought some frequency central adsrs and a Grove GMS-294a filter.

But what I need now is a PSU and a mixer.

Trying to decide between the stg mixer and the dotcom q114.
JohnLRice
Notron fn wrote:
Trying to decide between the stg mixer and the dotcom q114.
In all seriousness I recommend you get both, because at times you'll want a mixer for audio sources plus a separate mixer for CV modulation sources (or sometimes two separate mixers for audio etc). I would lean towards using the STG Mixer for audio and the Q114 for CV but you could use either for either purpose.

Also take another look at the Moon 526. While not as many channels as the STG or DotCom and not as dense feature wise as the the DotCom, it is a really well balanced and useful 3 channel mixer, especially for CV mixing since it has attenuverts, channel mute switches, and a master output level control.
Notron fn

I still need to find a psu equivalent to a qps1
Schlumpfhut
If you don't need +5V the Oakley PSU (with 2 Dizzys) is a really good choice for a small system.
If you need +5V its still a good choice but you have to get a step down converter to make +5V from the +15V rail
MindMachine
You might consider a Moog CP-251 for your cv mixing duties and the STG Mixer for your audio. The CP-251 offers so much for a great value.
aj55
+1 or the CP-251 !
gregae
MindMachine wrote:
You might consider a Moog CP-251 for your cv mixing duties...

+1 on the CP-251! It's a veritable 'swiss army knife' of modular functions in a very compact package!

coyoteous
Not a 251 hater... I still want one on occasion.

It's a little hard to justify at the price if you have the functions covered with modules, though.

They are cool... but, I can't think of much that wasn't a very limited production, had a rare part, etc. that's gone up so much in price over the years (could have had a demo for less than $200 a year or so after they came out, and I thought that was too much at the time... best used price now seems to be about $300).

It is Moog Music, Inc., and you seem to pay extra for the 'Moog' part... especially in this case (har).

Anyway, I have two Moon Modular M544CPs currently which overlap with some of the 251 functions... highly recommended! (you get 'Moo,' at least... all but the 'g')

OP: Maybe you need a CP boat, too?
Notron fn

Two oscs and an envelope.
Flareless
Excellent EG! Enjoy thumbs up
Notron fn
Perfect Circle was having a sale on the system x adsr with an "arriving soon" stock status. I ordered one from them, then thought I might need another....

And the listing had been taken down.

Anyway... with any luck I'll have two sytem x adsrs to play with.
Flareless
Notron fn wrote:
...I ordered one from them, then thought I might need another.....

Oh you do. No question there thumbs up
Dr Gris
Schlumpfhut wrote:
If you don't need +5V the Oakley PSU (with 2 Dizzys) is a really good choice for a small system.
If you need +5V its still a good choice but you have to get a step down converter to make +5V from the +15V rail

There is already +5V on the Oakley PSU in MU format (but not in MOTM)
About 100mA taken from the +15V if I remember correctly.
It's published with the specs somewhere (Tony's own site or Krisp1 maybe...)

//M
Notron fn
I had Paul toss in an MU dizzy and 12 cables, but I was hesitant to go with the rack backplate Oakley psu because I want a 22 or 44 space case.
Notron fn

44 space cabinet. Note raised bottom rail to allow for deep modules on the bottom row.

Sadly, he got one side a little off—so back to the shop for adjustments
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2