MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New VCV Rack Video Series
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New VCV Rack Video Series
DruLeeParsec
Hi folks:

I was inspired by Robin Vincent's Youtube channel "Molten Modular" and by his series of videos about his journey of learning about modular synthesis. So I created my own channel "Modular Curiosity". I'm not is a position to afford a physical modular rack, so I'm learning about modular synthesis with the VCV Rack Software and then documenting my journey.

I don't assume to be any sort of expert at all, it's more a case of "Oh wow, I can do that!? Let me share that."

Also, I don't want to spam MW with a post every time a new episode comes out so I'll just add new episodes to this thread as they come out.

I hope you enjoy it. I'm certainly having fun learning about VCV Rack.

Channel Trailer:

Episode 1 : Installing VCV Rack (Now updated for version 0.5.1)

Episode 2 : Modular Basics

Episode 3 : Fun with Oscillators

Episode 4: Gates and Triggers

Episode 5 : Sequencers

Just added Episode 6 : Clocks

Episode 7 : Build a patch which mimics one of the functions of Ornaments & Crime.

Episode 8 : The Befaco Rampage

Episode 9 : More Befaco Modules Part 1

Episode 10 : The Befaco A*B+C and even MORE things the rampage can do.

Episode 11 : Exploring Wave Tables with Braids

Episode 12: Generating melodies with LFOs.

Episode 13 : Playing with the resonator module (Mutable Instruments Rings)

Episode 14 : Attenuverters and side chaining

Episode 15 : Let's build an Ambient Patch and YOU build the same patch with your own personal touch.

Episode 16 : East coast vs West coast synthesis and the amazing Klee Sequencer

Episode 17 is about Mutable Instruments' Frames. Could this be the most underrated module ever? Let's see.

In Episode 18 we cover the new installation of version 0.6.0 and more importantly, we integrate VCV Rack with Reaper as we record 3 separate VCV Rack voices onto 3 different tracks simultaneously.

Episode 19: For the first time we connect a MIDI keyboard into VCV Rack

Episode 20: the dTroy and bordL sequencers

Episode 21: A "deep dive" into the tides. The Tidal Modulator A.K.A. the Mutable Instruments "Tides"

In Episode 22 we learn how to have a MIDI track from inside a DAW drive VCV Rack.

Sometimes I make mistakes and miss things in my Modular Curiosity episodes. So here's a collection of bits and bobs, this and that, and things which I missed or figured out after I published a video.

So what module is perfect for a "This and That" episode?

Sample and Hold!
wogglebug
Thank you for the videos. I have been enjoying these.
DruLeeParsec
wogglebug wrote:
Thank you for the videos. I have been enjoying these.

Thank you very much. I'm certainly learning a lot about both Modular synths, and how to film these things. I Gotta work on that overmodulated microphone though. hihi
BoxWannaBridle
Great little series. Very useful info!
kriskeyser
hey, great idea! I'll watch these soon smile Keep 'em coming!
dpcoffin
Much appreciated, thank you!
DruLeeParsec
I can't believe I'm already up to 10 episodes. I hope you're still enjoying them.
BoxWannaBridle
DruLeeParsec wrote:
I can't believe I'm already up to 10 episodes. I hope you're still enjoying them.

Keep'em coming!

Better than Netflix we're not worthy
nocone
really good ones!
existentia
I need to re-watch — and take notes this time — because there's always some little detail that seems fascinating in context, then I can't remember it when I actually go to try and do something similar.
voicedrifter
Really nice work here my friend; enjoying the journey! Keep up the good work.
DruLeeParsec
Episode 12, generating melodies using LFOs is now available.
chess1
Am I the only one who clicked this thread hoping that VCV now had video synthesis modules like LZX creates ? Dead Banana
Vortico
chess1
Virtual analog emulated video synthesis is still years away, but VCV Rack gives you full ability to render OpenGL 3D and/or NanoVG 2D canvas graphics, so it's possible to make visualization modules that respond to CV and audio.
DruLeeParsec
In Episode 13 I play with the Audible instruments "Resonator" which is modeled after the Mutable Instruments "Rings" module.
Agawell
@chess1

if you have a mac there is lumen-app which is a virtual analog video synthesizer - and is f***ing brilliant

you can control it via midi cc - so should be able to do this from vcvrack

BUT they are both resource hogs - I have trouble running both simultaneously on my late 2016 MBP 13" escape key model with 8GB

mostly heard in slow down of audio in VCVRack
circadianeyes
Thanks for these videos. I'm in a similar situation where I'm not financially ready to take the dive into an actual build. This will be fun to play around with in the meantime!
DruLeeParsec
Episode 15 is interactive. I build a patch and I ask YOU to build your own variation of the same patch and share it in the YouTube comment section.
Thefaroutdoctor
Thanks! I'm also unable to afford a modular at the moment but it's great to learn beforehand!
tsferro
your channel looks great - instant subscribe - can't wait to learn about VCV with these videos
smetak
This has been great!

Been hooked on the VCV Rack for a couple of weeks, which has been an essential aid for trying to use my "real life modular rig", and your tutorials are excellent - been following them closely.

Couldn't thank you enough for them!
DruLeeParsec
smetak wrote:
This has been great!

Been hooked on the VCV Rack for a couple of weeks, which has been an essential aid for trying to use my "real life modular rig", and your tutorials are excellent - been following them closely.

Couldn't thank you enough for them!

And I thank you back. Knowing that I'm inspiring other people to create new music brings me great joy.
DruLeeParsec
For episode 16 I want to extend my sincere thank you to everyone here on MW and also on the VCV Rack official user group on Facebook because in just 3 months I've received 500 subscribers.

I'm so glad people are enjoying the series. Thank you.
DruLeeParsec
Episode 17 is all about the Mutable Instruments Frames module. This is an amazing module with lots of interesting functionality and I think it's incredibly under rated.
balbibou
Great series. Many thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2