MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clocking Pamela’s New Workout + Beatstep Pro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Clocking Pamela’s New Workout + Beatstep Pro
Brendanleespengler
Does anyone have experience clocking the BeatStep Pro with the second expander module that accompanies Pam’s New Workout? The one with the 1/8” MIDI output. That’s my current goal. However, I also have a Prophet 6 I’d like to clock as well, which the first MIDI/DinSync expander seems to do.
To make things a bit more complicated, on the ALM page (yeah I researched as best I could before posting) there’s the statement “only a single expander is supported at a time.” Does this mean you can only use them one at a time? That’s the message, it seems.
Or, should I scrap this idea and clock Pam’s NW w the BSP as the master. In this case, the BSPs clock deal would need to be edited via the Arturia software.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
calvinsomething
Why not just clock the BSP with the clock in input?

Pam's apparently can have issues as a slave, and BSP I don't think is ideal as a master.
insoul8
calvinsomething wrote:

Pam's apparently can have issues as a slave, and BSP I don't think is ideal as a master.

It does indeed. I've had somewhat better luck clocking it via dinsync and a converter cable but i have been having a helluva time in general getting everything in sync between the modular (pams), my cirklon, all my synths, Logic. etc. What do people do?!
tinymotel
calvinsomething wrote:

Interesting to hear. I was looking at a Pams to setup as a slave to my MPC X. Might have to keep looking...
alanza
Brendanleespengler wrote:
Does anyone have experience clocking the BeatStep Pro with the second expander module that accompanies Pam’s New Workout? The one with the 1/8” MIDI output. That’s my current goal. However, I also have a Prophet 6 I’d like to clock as well, which the first MIDI/DinSync expander seems to do.
To make things a bit more complicated, on the ALM page (yeah I researched as best I could before posting) there’s the statement “only a single expander is supported at a time.” Does this mean you can only use them one at a time? That’s the message, it seems.
Or, should I scrap this idea and clock Pam’s NW w the BSP as the master. In this case, the BSPs clock deal would need to be edited via the Arturia software.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I could be wrong, but is it not just possible to run your clock from Pam's to the BSP and then use the clock output on the BSP to clock the Prophet 6?
Yavn
I clock my PNW from a BSP and it’s great. The Clock out on the BSP goes into the CLK input on the PNW. I have the Run? setting set to N.

Can you use the Midi ports on the BSP to sync with the Prophet?
uebl
Brendanleespengler wrote:

Yes, you can only use a single expander; either PEXP-1 or PEXP-2. If you need multiple MIDI signals you can of course just use either of the two and use some sort of MIDI splitter, e.g. a Kenton MIDI Thru.
kay_k
uebl wrote:
use some sort of MIDI splitter, e.g. a Kenton MIDI Thru.

or our WK3 hyper

I used to clock my Pam (old version) with the DIN-Sync from the beatstep with no problems. I actually used a cheap passive stereo "star" mult and also clocked the metropolis. I have no experience w/ the New Workout tho.
Why shouldn't this work?
If you trust the Pam to do the "master" job better just get the PEXP-2 and clock the BSP via DIN-Sync and feed the Midi to whatever as suggested.
uebl
kay_k wrote:
uebl wrote:
use some sort of MIDI splitter, e.g. a Kenton MIDI Thru.

or our WK3 hyper

thumbs up thumbs up
erstlaub
calvinsomething wrote:

I've found neither of these things to be the case, ymmv though.

I just soldered up a super basic 3.5mmTRS to 2x 3.5mm mono jack cable (you can probably buy them pre made) which I plug straight from the BSP's clock out to the clock and run inputs on Pam's and everything is locked in nice and tight, Pam's starts and stops when you press the play button on the BSP, that's what the run input is for.

Always been nice and tight for me, that's let you use the midi out connector for your other stuff (although I've never personally done so).
kay_k
erstlaub wrote:
calvinsomething wrote:

I just soldered up a super basic 3.5mmTRS to 2x 3.5mm mono jack cable (you can probably buy them pre made) which I plug straight from the BSP's clock out to the clock and run inputs on Pam's and everything is locked in nice and tight, Pam's starts and stops when you press the play button on the BSP, that's what the run input is for.

Always been nice and tight for me, that's let you use the midi out connector for your other stuff (although I've never personally done so).

I'm using 3.5 stereo to phono cable and these:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/10pcs-1-8-3-5mm-Mono-Male-to-Phono-RCA-Female- Jack-Connector-Adapter-Converter/222479643517?hash=item33ccd1f37d:g:qP IAAOSwLzdWTX7r
Shledge
I slave PNW with my BSP, never had an issue with timing. I have both set to 24ppqn and clock out from BSP goes straight into clock in/run on my PNW.

To clarify, the clock out on the BSP is stereo - left is clock, right is the start/stop signal.
insoul8
Shledge wrote:
I slave PNW with my BSP, never had an issue with timing. I have both set to 24ppqn and clock out from BSP goes straight into clock in/run on my PNW.

To clarify, the clock out on the BSP is stereo - left is clock, right is the start/stop signal.

Is that using dinsync?
Shledge
Pretty much.
AndreasD
erstlaub wrote:
calvinsomething wrote:

exactly this!
BaloErets
Shledge wrote:
Pretty much.

I was asking myself this exact question the other night. Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Pretty Much"?
Shledge
It's the same clock out used with the Dinsync adapter, so it is Dinsync. PNW essentially accepts Dinsync for syncing.
BlackDoors
AndreasD wrote:
erstlaub wrote:
calvinsomething wrote:

exactly this!

Same, I have had success using PNW as both master and slave in a number of different configurations, DAW, Digitakt, BSP, it's simply awesome at sync.

Not all clock dividers are as flexible or reliable. Once you try PNW with DIN sync in particular, you will never go back!

John
atte
I clock the PNW from the BSP all the time, no problems. Just the clock from the BSP, run set to RR, BSP set to 24ppq...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1