MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH-1 Velocity-Gates
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author FH-1 Velocity-Gates
PM33AUD
Hello!

What a wonderful thing it'd be if I can get a velocity sensitive gate coming out of a single jack of the FH-1 (aka "Gated Velocity"). I'm not to clear on this or why you don't select an OP for the Trigger/Gates/wVelocity selection. I am getting something coming out but it appears on the wrong jack (the CV one).

I'm trying to have out of the 8 outputs of the FH-1:

Could you please clarify this one?
os
For the triggers/gates, the output is entirely determined by the note number.

If your goal is to have a velocity-sensitive gate from a monophonic MIDI/CV converter, you're out of luck at the moment.
PM33AUD
os wrote:
If your goal is to have a velocity-sensitive gate from a monophonic MIDI/CV converter, you're out of luck at the moment.

Nooo! How can we convince you to add this feature ?

SlayerBadger! w00t thumbs up
os
Tell me how you'd use it in a patch.
PM33AUD
Oh my! Absolutely!

We have 2 rigs with 4 voices each and drums. We use a total of 3 Natural Gates for each rig so 6 channels of 'LPG-VCA' We use these as final outputs in place of VCAs for our wood techno project.

There is a CTRL input to each of these gates and these directly control the gate openness but processed by the special EG shapes I've spend a bunch of time crafting. So we can use OT to set the amount of hold but still be able to get the short 'plucked' stuffs.

So we use 2 OTs (via MIDI -> with a 2 FH-1 + expanders each (which I just did latency tests on if you are curious PM me!)) and fire off the common 1V/oct pitch and gate info. We also use some FH-1 outputs to be LFOs and for CC to CV modulations (which is extremely powerful). Gate signals go into a slew limiter (for variable attack) and then we use Natural Gate's decays as decay for a nice sounding AHR or what have you. We can also get other envelope types but this is the most common. Anyways, to get programmable expressivity, we have to control the level of the gate signal sent into the slew limiter and the NG CTRL inputs.

So to do this for each of those 6x gates now requires using a VCA each in order to use the gate to be level controlled the additional velocity output from the FH-1s. Not super ideal as we'd run out of room.

And we also wish to use this for all of our drum modules (including some of our own) which have velocity sensitive trigger or gate inputs.

And then the final use is a little bit of a hack to keep our MIDI latencies down. The velo information is already sent with note info which we already have to send. So even for patches where we do not need to have velocity in the traditional volume sense, it's a freebie discretised (by the gate length) modulation source. Because doing CCs with MIDI puts a very hefty load on the MIDI lines. This method does not! The fact that it always 'drops to zero' during the GATE gaps also means we have some sort of 'pulling down' sort of modulation which is pretty unique actually and we'd like to explore that. The fact that we can adjust slew rate with the OT via CC to change the FH-1 smoothing parameter has been greatly appreciated and used. We really love that feature and one of the main reasons we got them.

There's another feature I think we could really exploit. And that is what I mentioned elsewhere - ability to combine multiple LFOs into one jack - we have all sorts of uses for that - most involving some type of semi randome - almost chaos circuit like - and again - with slew, you get a usable warbly modulation.
os
Well that's quite convincing smile

I'll see what I can do next week.
robbert
That‘s what the ladik m-240 brings?
PM33AUD
robbert wrote:
That‘s what the ladik m-240 brings?

Don't have this module, but from the description, yes but this would do more because you'd still have gate ability, not just triggers.
PM33AUD
os wrote:
Well that's quite convincing smile

I'll see what I can do next week.

love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love

It will be used extensively, for sure. And lots of others will too, I'm sure. It takes an already compact device (which is an asset for such a utility whose 'job' is behind the panel) and makes it even more solid. For us, it really does allow lots of expression to be opened up due to the harsh size constraint we have on these rigs.

I am really grateful and beyond word you are not only considering it but hinted it's a real possibility! I'll be keeping tuned!
os
Try the attached. In the config script, use 'v' instead of 'V' for a velocity-gate output.
PM33AUD
I'll PM you the results!
PM33AUD
I just wanted to report publicly that the beta firmware above does indeed give me gated velocities and it is AWESOME.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1