MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

µTune question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author µTune question
Steevio
My µTune arrived yesterday, and I have to say build quality, screen etc. is fantastic.

I'm having a problem, I'm obviously doing something wrong, and cant figure it out.

I'm trying to build a simple scale just to get used to how everything works, and everything seemed to be going well until I tried to quantize a CV input, and nothing happened.

I built a simple harmonic scale with 4 notes, 5/4, 3/2, 7/4 and 2/1, named it and saved it. It appears in the list of scales and when you go to edit, all the notes are there, but when I run a series of CVs into the input nothing happens, the same series of CVs run into a 12TET scale from the SD card works as expected

What am I doing wrong ?

thanks in advance guys,
tubbutec
Very likely this has to do with "scale mapping". You can find the settings under "keyboard mapping" in the config menu. (keyboard mapping will be renamed to scale mapping in the next versions)

Relevant for you are the first two parameters:
Middle Note
and
Middle Vol

This sets the point were µTune starts mapping the scales. In both up and down directions.

Middle note is set to 60 by default, mapped to 5V. This means your scale is repeated from note 60 upwards and downwards. Since your scale is very short (only 4 notes), note number 56 is mapped to 4V, 52 to 3V,... and finally note number 40 to 0V.

This means any note number below 40 will produce 0V. That is why you can not hear any change when inputting low voltages/note numbers

If you work with low input voltages between 0V and 5V, I suggest you set the Middle note and Middle voltage lower. For example 0 and 0V, or 12 and 1V.

This should do the trick for you..
Steevio
thanks for your quick response !

OK so now its responding ( 0 - 0V ) but not to the 4 note scale I set, its running through 3 times the 4 note scale in the Octave, so its 12 notes.

This is how I set the scale;

01 - 0386.3
02 - 0702.0
03 - 0968.8
R -1200.0

I'm obviously missing something. Thanks for your time
tubbutec
Should work this way, can't say why it would not. Will have to test this on Monday and will get back to you...
Steevio
tubbutec wrote:
Should work this way, can't say why it would not. Will have to test this on Monday and will get back to you...

thanks !
timoka
ah great i had a similar problem with the scaling.
so in general, if using analog sequencer or ribbon controllers which mostly start at 0v to 5v or higher, it's best to set everything at 0, middle note and voltage?
is it possible to have this saved as default configuration?
tubbutec
timoka wrote:
ah great i had a similar problem with the scaling.
so in general, if using analog sequencer or ribbon controllers which mostly start at 0v to 5v or higher, it's best to set everything at 0, middle note and voltage?
is it possible to have this saved as default configuration?

The optimal setting always depends on your preference. Think of the middle note as the starting point of your scale. As mentioned in the manual, this is the point with constant pitch, no matter what scale you are using.
If you have an input range of 0-5V (usually that means note number 0 to 60) you could put the starting point at 0, but maybe 2V / note 24 suits you better. You could then pitch up and down from there..
Steevio
tubbutec wrote:

OK so I figured it out, I needed to change the CV input config to 4 notes to get 1V per octave.
So i guess that you need to change this value everytime to the number of notes in your scale, if you want to keep to the 1V /Oct standard.

would there be a way to implement this automatically in a future update ?
In other words a setting which keeps to 1V per octave no matter how many notes in your scale ?
timoka
thanks tubbutec for the answer, it would be great to have the possibility to set our own default values for the scaling and what steevio said above would be great too...an automatic adjustment of the number of notes depending on the scale one chooses!
tubbutec
I agree, will add an 'automatic' option in the notes/octave function. Won't work for midi though
Steevio
tubbutec wrote:
I agree, will add an 'automatic' option in the notes/octave function. Won't work for midi though

awesome.

I dont use midi personally.

thank you !
Steevio
One more question,

I'm assuming its not possible to transpose and scale at the same time unless I use one channel for each process (or am I misunderstanding the manual again)

Currently I use several Doepfer A156s and I find it very useful that I can dual-
transpose and quantise to scale in the same module (although you can only transpose both channels equally, but this isnt an issue)

Would it be possible in a future update to add some way to do this ?
Maybe from the Gate Input sockets? I dont use gating much really, I usually only free-run my quantizers,

Congratulations on a really nice module by the way !
tubbutec
Steevio wrote:
One more question,

I'm assuming its not possible to transpose and scale at the same time unless I use one channel for each process (or am I misunderstanding the manual again)

Currently I use several Doepfer A156s and I find it very useful that I can dual-
transpose and quantise to scale in the same module (although you can only transpose both channels equally, but this isnt an issue)

Would it be possible in a future update to add some way to do this ?
Maybe from the Gate Input sockets? I dont use gating much really, I usually only free-run my quantizers,

Congratulations on a really nice module by the way !

There will be a transpose setting for each channel. If you are looking for CV controlled transpose though without using a CV-in channel, you'll need to wait for the expander..
Steevio
tubbutec wrote:

There will be a transpose setting for each channel. If you are looking for CV controlled transpose though without using a CV-in channel, you'll need to wait for the expander..

OK thank you, I look forward to it !
Steevio
another question;

is it possible or will it be possible to create your own folder to save your own scales ?

I cant find anything in the manual about this.
Phil999
I believe one does create folders on the computer. Tubbutec recommends to organise scales in a tree structure with not more than about 50 scales per directory. See manual page 8.
Steevio
I meant can you do it on the screen.
Phil999
my guess is that you do such things on the computer. Once you have all the scales you want to use arranged on your card, you can leave the card in the module and continue working inside the module only.
tubbutec
Creating directories, moving, renaming and deleting files in the µTune file browser is on our TODO list, but not with the highest priority.
I also recommend creating the directory using a computer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1