MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog transistor ladder filter 1U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Moog transistor ladder filter 1U
josaka
waiting for the Q150a..!

other options in 1u ? there is oakley .. but any other 1u options?

and which is the most "Moogy" ? the squelch .. the fuzz(CP3 I know).. the funk.. smile
spinach_pizza
Grove Audio?
Chrutil
MOTM 490 uVCF is not bad.

Mark11Audio
josaka wrote:
waiting for the Q150a..!

and which is the most "Moogy" ? the squelch .. the fuzz(CP3 I know).. the funk.. smile

our good friend and comrade JLR also seems to recommend and think the Grove Audio LPF is really quite nice for a 1U slot... I myself have NO experience with one, but I trust JLR's recommendations... he's got a pretty good ear for things. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up applause applause applause thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

More info can be found here: Grove Audio GMS294A

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
You gotta be kiddin' me! No one has made up a Front Panel Express 1sp panel for the Q150 yet?

FPE will use Dot Com blank panels these days (you must supply them with the blank panel). I'm actually surprised that no one has taken on the Q150 as a 1sp project yet.

I'd do it, but I have no idea how to do the graduated panel markings or how to do silk screening for those that require "exact match" of Dot Com look and feel.

seriously, i just don't get it ... meh ... it is what it is I suppose!
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
waiting for the Q150a..!

You need Moog VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, and mixers to get "Moogy".

After that, it's all about personal opinions of what "Moogy" sounds like. Ask me, I'll tell you Synthesizers.Com does a fine job with the Q150 ... however I'll also tell you it all depends on how Moogy you want things to be. Not only that, there's a number of Moog VCFs, so which flavor of "Moogy" is one seeking?
JohnLRice
Yes, I think the Grove Audio GMS-294a VCF sounds particularly close to a Moog 904A. (thanks for the kudos, Mark! cool )

I haven't done any focused technical demos but here's a couple samples:

Grove Audio GMS-294a with Synth Tech MOTM-300 VCO, MOTM-800 EG and MOTM-190 VCA. Also a Modcan 73B dual delay and Strymon BigSky.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/quick-wiggle-for-a-giggle[/s]

Both of these use the Grove Audio GMS-294a along with a mostly Mos-Lab voice (921ABBB, 2x911, 904 . . plus a STG Mix) and a FRP R24 sequencer.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVAbMkVjc64/?taken-by=imjohnlrice
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWCjyqFAmwd/?taken-by=imjohnlrice
Synthbuilder
There's two Oakley Moog ladder filter modules in 1U widths for DIY builders. The original Superladder and the more recent Discrete Ladder Filter which is based on the 904A LPF and CP3 mixer. I don't think Paul at Krisp1 has any plans to make a ready version of DLF available.

Tony
Flareless
The DLF is an incredible filter!
josaka
Synthbuilder wrote:
There's two Oakley Moog ladder filter modules in 1U widths for DIY builders. The original Superladder and the more recent Discrete Ladder Filter which is based on the 904A LPF and CP3 mixer. I don't think Paul at Krisp1 has any plans to make a ready version of DLF available.

Tony

no.. he was talking about problems matching parts.. which is one reason I was looking elsewhere.. smile

and noticed the boards were out of stock til feb... smile
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:
Yes, I think the Grove Audio GMS-294a VCF sounds particularly close to a Moog 904A. (thanks for the kudos, Mark! cool )

I haven't done any focused technical demos but here's a couple samples:

Grove Audio GMS-294a with Synth Tech MOTM-300 VCO, MOTM-800 EG and MOTM-190 VCA. Also a Modcan 73B dual delay and Strymon BigSky.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/quick-wiggle-for-a-giggle[/s]

Both of these use the Grove Audio GMS-294a along with a mostly Mos-Lab voice (921ABBB, 2x911, 904 . . plus a STG Mix) and a FRP R24 sequencer.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVAbMkVjc64/?taken-by=imjohnlrice
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWCjyqFAmwd/?taken-by=imjohnlrice

Sounds pretty Moogy to me !!! .....and I've owned a Moog before! thumbs up
ranix
have you tried the STG Sea Devil filter? I use it for a lot of stuff I used to use the q150 for. It sounds a little unique. I love all my filters but it would be one of my favorites if I had favorites. idk how "moog" it is but it's great. Not a ladder filter at all but much fun
Mark11Audio
ranix wrote:
have you tried the STG Sea Devil filter? I use it for a lot of stuff I used to use the q150 for. It sounds a little unique. I love all my filters but it would be one of my favorites if I had favorites. idk how "moog" it is but it's great. Not a ladder filter at all but much fun

Yep, I have one of those too... it's based more on the VCS/EMS topology according to STG's website... so not very Moogy, but that's a GOOD thing... and why I have one... the whole purpose of modulars is to get a variety of super awesome sweet sounds... not just one recognizable tone over and over and over again...

While not stretching too far out of the box, I will have about 5 filter "types" to draw from... but only using 3 manufactures... Moon, STG, and Synth-Werk...

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
josaka
personally I love the korg filters as well.. patricularly the older ones..
the delta from phil megaohm is an amazing thing as well as the oakley journeyman and korgasmatron ..I have a 440 and a wasp as well... they all bring somethin to the party.. Dono-Kun Dance The Chewbacca Defense

and ordered a Grove audio GMS-294A + a PM resonator !!.. the polymoog filter section!
Notron fn
I've got word from John that my GMS-294a has shipped. hyper
bwhittington
Seems like a good time to mention the forthcoming Moon 504 as a single-width option.

Rex Coil 7
Squishing the Q150 down to 1spMU is not difficult. I started with a 4 space foundation and easily placed a Q107, Q162, Q150, as well as bringing ALLLLL of the back panel jumper options (sans the slope jumpers on the Q150, that took an extra 1sp panel) to the front using toggle switches .... BIG'Ns no less.

Screenshot of the "QX420" (Q107, Q162, Q150, plus some options) ....

(below) Screenshot of the QX420 again, everything to the RIGHT of the red line is just the Q150. As can plainly be seen, reducing what I've done with the Q150 down to a 1MU space design would be cake. Essentially use the Q107A as a design template and go from there.

The point is, it can be done ... without a lot of fuss about it! Total cost of the above FPE panel = $99.52

thumbs up
josaka
just cancelled my grove audio order.. :( (PM filter/294a)

I dont mind waiting for stuff (hordijk 4 months/mos-lab 3/SW 3)

its the.. "it will be a few days" I ordered on 18th december..
"it will be a couple of weeks I am waiting on panels" ok
a month later.. "there was a freeze it will be a few days"
another month later.. nothing..
so as a customer I felt a little annoyed at this.. so I cancelled..
am I crazy?
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
...am I crazy?
Only if you think you are.

um ... wait ... hmmm.....

Mr. Green
hsosdrum
josaka wrote:
am I crazy?

Not at all. The scenario you describe indicates that the vendor is a poor businessperson, which could lead to other problems if you have to deal with them again after (eventually) receiving the module. When those other vendors quoted you long lead times it means that they're in control of their business, know how long things will take, and aren't afraid to tell you the truth.

Too bad about Grove, because JLR's demo of the 294 further up in this thread sounds awfully good.
Rex Coil 7
hsosdrum wrote:
.... When those other vendors quoted you long lead times it means that they're in control of their business, know how long things will take, and aren't afraid to tell you the truth....
Or the other way around. They have NO idea when parts are coming in so they're shooting far past target to cover an unknown rec't date.

And/Or, they are waiting for enough prepaid orders to come in so they can actually pay for new inventory. This can indicate a poorly managed company that is having trouble managing their money and need to use customer money to fund their inventory control.

Undercapitalized businesses tend to run on other people's money, rather than their own steady cash flow.

After having owned and operated 3 businesses between 1983 and 2009 I've seen this happen, as well as been in those underfunded situations myself (bad times, personal struggles, medical issues [cancer] and such).

Well run companies tend to have solid control over inventory, with usually more than one source for parts. Companies that are struggling have less control over inventory since they require other people's money to keep their shelves stocked.
Notron fn
I ordered one on December 17th and recieved mine around Feb 5th.

Seemed like the best way to communicate was via muff pm.
josaka
saw you got yours .. smile
coyoteous
Maybe he just had the one?
burdij
coyoteous wrote:
Maybe he just had the one?

Nope . . . built them both at the same time. The order also included another module that had some production issues.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4