MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

µTune questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author µTune questions
bravedog
Hi! I posted this in the Modular Synth General Discussion long thread 3 weeks ago, but perhaps need to post specifically in tubbutec forum so am reposting here:
------------
Just got mine and there's really a ton of stuff I don't get yet including in the manual. I think I'm finding this module the least comprehensible of the 30 or so I've worked with, but very much like its capabilities and hope I can get a handle on it.

Let's start with 7/17 of the pdf, 3:Main menu. There's a screen cap of the main menu; my issues are with the left side which kind of reads

1 ->C0
<-G#2
2 ->0:a
<-9:g
with this explanation for this section being given. My numbered questions are in brackets like this[]:

"On the left side you can see the status of channels 1 and 2. The right pointing arrow shows the
GATE-in status. It becomes thicker if the gate is active. Next to it, the 'input note' is displayed.
This is the note recognized by the quantizer. The left pointing arrow shows the status of the output
gate. Next to it the 'output note' is shown. This is the note that is mapped via the scale mapper and
put out to CV-out as a voltage. [1: I THINK this means in the example CV1 In is receiving a voltage corresponding to C. Maybe the 0 next to it means in which octave, ie middle C? And CV1 Out is outputting a G#? With maybe the 2 next to it signifying 2 octaves up? With the discrepancy between in and out due to Transpose or Shift settings? Is all this correct, or especially if the 0 and 2 have different meanings, what are they?] There are dierent ways input and output notes can be displayed.
(See notations). [2: What does "See notations" refer to? There is no such chapter in the manual, nor do I see a Notations setting in the actual unit's Config menu or elsewhere. 3: I am GUESSING that in the screen cap section for Ch2, a different way of displaying notes has been chosen? Maybe in this section, the 0 means CV2 In is receiving a voltage interpreted as the root, and outputting the 9th degree of the scale? If this is the case, I guess somehow the remaing info is telling in which octave, but I don't see how :a {in} or :g
[out} convey this info. Or are they telling something else?]

OK that's plenty of questions for now I guess. But briefly, I also don't understand the unit's functional meaning given to Transpose [disctinction from pitch shift] and Shift [modal change?]; aspects of the scale editor; and big chunks of the midi config manual, in which among other things both CV/Gate channels and midi channels are just referred to as channels though there is interplay between them... will keep working on it!
tubbutec
Quote:
Hi! I posted this in the Modular Synth General Discussion long thread 3 weeks ago, but perhaps need to post specifically in tubbutec forum so am reposting here:

Must have missed your question in the other thread, but this is certainly the correct place to ask.

Quote:
Just got mine and there's really a ton of stuff I don't get yet including in the manual. I think I'm finding this module the least comprehensible of the 30 or so I've worked with, but very much like its capabilities and hope I can get a handle on it.

Sorry to hear that. µTune has a lot of functions, but we tried to make things as easy and comprehensive as possible.

Quote:

I THINK this means in the example CV1 In is receiving a voltage corresponding to C.

Correct
Quote:
Maybe the 0 next to it means in which octave, ie middle C?

This is a very common note notation for 12 note scales. C0, D0,.. are the lowest octave, the higher the number the higher the octave.
You can select from a few different notations, some of them more suited for scales with lengths other then 12.

Quote:

And CV1 Out is outputting a G#? With maybe the 2 next to it signifying 2 octaves up?

Yes, reasons for this are numerous:
- Could be the output is transposed
- or maybe the output is not controlled by the quatizer, but by the midi interface. The input would then be used for something else. (See channel configuration in the manual)

Quote:
I also don't understand the unit's functional meaning given to Transpose [disctinction from pitch shift] and Shift [modal change?]

Transpose is what you are probably used to. Just changing the pitch in steps. (in 12 TET that would be seminotes). Shift can be used to alter the root of the scale. In complete TET scales this does nothing, because the difference between all notes is the same. This feature was specifically requested by the MuffWiggler community btw.

Quote:
aspects of the scale editor

Which ones?

Quote:
and big chunks of the midi config manual, in which among other things both CV/Gate channels and midi channels are just referred to as channels though there is interplay between them.

Well yes there are 'midi channels' which is part of the midi specification. Basically there are 16 different midi channels devices can use to communicate on. [/quote]
An then there are µTune channels as explained at the beginning of the manual. each channel consisting of: gate in, cv in, gate out, cv out.
For each of the µTune channels, you can select the midi channels µTune uses to send and receive midi data.
bravedog
Thanks for your reply. So my interpretation of Ch 1 was correct and I understand now part of my my question 1] above; but still not the 2nd part, what you mean by Shift and wonder if you might perhaps clarify with an example. Transposing an entire non-tempered scale up does change the root and always changes the pitches available, but this is what you seem to mean by Transpose. For instance, for the 3 note scale of Root=any 0, N1= 0+410 cents, N3= 0+815 cents, if I transpose [in my usage of the term] up 50 cents, my new scale values are Root- 0+50 cents, N1=0+460 cents, N2= 0+865 cents. What happens specifically with Shift? [Unless THAT is what you call Shift, in case please specify what you mean by Transpose]

Also not answered my Question 2]What you meant by 'See Notation'.?

Also not answered question 3 above] you don't explain Ch2?

Channels: in your midi section, which may involve assigning different midi channels to different uTune channels, and perhaps different uTune channels to different midi channels, you frequently simply refer to "channel" without specifying whether you mean uTune or midi channel at that particular point. I understand you know which you are referring to throughout, but it introduces ambiguity and thus confusion for persons like myself trying to work things out. It would be helpful to me and possibly others in the manual to always include the modifier 'uTune' or 'midi' before the word 'channel', especially in sections dealing with both.

If we finish clarifying p.7 I'll continue with specific questions in order. Thanks again for your response and the interesting module, if I can once get it understood.
tubbutec
Hi,
first please understand that the manual is a work in progress and if some things are not completely clear yet, that will change.

bravedog wrote:
what you mean by Shift and wonder if you might perhaps clarify with an example. Transposing an entire non-tempered scale up does change the root and always changes the pitches available, but this is what you seem to mean by Transpose. For instance, for the 3 note scale of Root=any 0, N1= 0+410 cents, N3= 0+815 cents, if I transpose [in my usage of the term] up 50 cents, my new scale values are Root- 0+50 cents, N1=0+460 cents, N2= 0+865 cents. What happens specifically with Shift? [Unless THAT is what you call Shift, in case please specify what you mean by Transpose]

Almost. in µTune transpose is applied at the input side of the scale mapper. Not cents are transposed, but rather note numbers. So in your example transposing up one note would result in.
1200 (one octave, the repeating interval)

Shift is changing the root without changing the pitch.
So let's take your example, and I am assuming the repeating interval is once octave = 1200 cent

In your example shifting down by one note would result in
0 = 410 - 410
405 = 815 - 410
790 = 1200 - 410

You can see how TET scales are not affected by this as here the difference between all notes is equal.
Again, this feature was requested by several people. I don't personally know how useful it is.

bravedog wrote:

What you meant by 'See Notation'.?
Also not answered question 3 above] you don't explain Ch2?

You are correct, the chapter about notations is missing from the manual still. Will add that asap. Basically you can chose between a number of different notations of notes. Edit: now added, see chapter Notations

bravedog wrote:

Channels

I just looked at the manual again. 'channels' always refers to the µtune channels, only if midi channel is meant the term 'midi channel' is used. Could not find any exception.
bravedog
Thanks,you have clarified your use of 'transpose','shift', and 'channels'.

I wonder if there is a way in uTune to do what I thought of as Transpose,ie shift everything equally by 50 cents or whatever? Or is this only done by offsetting the output from uTune rather than within it?

So for Manual p.17 Channel 2 which reads

for now I should just ignore what that might mean, as it will be explained eventually once the Notations chapter arrives?

I will work down the manual and generate some more questions over the next days, thanks for responses!
Phil999
bravedog wrote:

I will work down the manual and generate some more questions over the next days, thanks for responses!

you know, sometimes it is better to just try out a new module. Portions of the manual that aren't clear will explain themselves after a while.
tubbutec
bravedog wrote:

I wonder if there is a way in uTune to do what I thought of as Transpose,ie shift everything equally by 50 cents or whatever? Or is this only done by offsetting the output from uTune rather than within it?

Currently there is no such function, you can use the pitch knob on your VCO for that.

bravedog wrote:

as it will be explained eventually once the Notations chapter arrives?

As mentioned above, I updated the manual and added the chapter about notations.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1