MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Emperor and the Princes' New Clothes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author The Emperor and the Princes' New Clothes
Flareless
Absolutely Josaka! Definitely a Euro conversion if I ever saw one and I sell them! Lots of other modules that might be considered Euro too. Many of the PCBs I sell in my modules were designed with Eurorack in mind. The Barton toys and much of the CGS, which is Serge style, are a perfect example.

On the vendor sites they are often listed as "No Specific Format" since as long as they support +/-15 mounting them is the builder's choice. I like mounting them in MU.

I try to stay away from modules with 2 boards as often the 2nd board is used for the panel components. I have a Galilean Moons #2 PCB if anyone is interested.

Multi-board modules like the Dual 258J and Triple LPG are excluded from the multi-board guideline. hihi

Incidentally Josaka, PM/Email me. I do have an LED mod for the Storm. I did it about 10 days ago to mine.

There's been a lot of great response to this thread. Like Josaka I like to stir the pot particularly when my insomnia has been raging and I haven't had coffee.

Choose your format then do whatever the hell you want. We live in a Zero Rule Zone. That's what modular is all about! SlayerBadger!
spinach_pizza
Flareless wrote:

...I like to stir the pot particularly when my insomnia has been raging and I haven't had coffee.
lol
Flareless wrote:

Choose your format then do whatever the hell you want. We live in a Zero Rule Zone. That's what modular is all about! SlayerBadger!
thumbs up thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Flareless wrote:
..... Choose your format then do whatever the hell you want. We live in a Zero Rule Zone. That's what modular is all about! SlayerBadger!
That's a fact, Jack!

My own system uses all 5U/MU for the audio signal flow (VCOs, VCFs, Mixers, VCAs). Then I use Euro only as modulators. My MU system doesn't have any LFOs, no Envelope Gens ... all of that is in Euro.

That take on things allows me to have both of what I need and want. All of my Euro is mounted in a wedge-shaped cab that sit directly between the keyboard(s) and the upright 5U cab. The Euro content mostly focuses on things such as EGs, VCA clusters and VCA mixers, signal routings, 1v/oct and slew, LFOs. I have two MATHS, and two Doepfer Matrix Mixers, as well as four Doepfer 4 channel VCA Mixers. Not to mention 3 Barton Dual Nice Quantizers, and an Intellijel uFoldII wave folder. So, very simple modules that have an enormous amount of processing power without being things that have 400+ page manuals (like my Kurzweil PC3A6 does!).

I don't feel the need for density, in fact I shoot for sparsity to be honest. I'll "spread out" a module rather than "compress" it's controls.

This is a 2 channel x 4 circuit Ring Mod ... it's 32 inches long and 2 inches wide.

Left Half (2 ring mods) =

Right Half (2 ring mods) =

The entire 32 inch long panel has been refinished =

Here's a 3 channel "input switch" panel that allows me to instantly turn on (or off) the audio signals coming from the two dual-VCO voices and the Ring Mod panel =

Here's a slope control panel for the Dot Com Q150 VCF =

And a 4 channel VCO mixer with individual channel on/off toggles, individual channel volumes, and per-bus overdrive (feedback circuit - red knobs) =

So it's fairly obvious that I like to spread out and provide myself room for live performance goofery. The Euro stuff is something I use (more or less) to create the sortof basic signal processing and CV modulations for the "main voice cabinet" (if you will) which is 100% MU. I've gone both directions with repaneling 5U/MU stuff. Meaning, I have squished 8sp into 6sp (the VCO voice panels) .. but I have also ~expanded~ 6sp into 8sp on the VCF panel. The VCF panel has two "option panels" that are 2" x 4" each, and each option panel contains fifteen 3.5mm jacks that allow easy interfacing with the Euro cabinet's I/O.

So ... yea .... let's mix it up and provide ourselves with the best of all worlds. I'm happy with Euro and 5U/MU, anything else I can repanel into wither one of those two formats.

Would I want an all-euro system? Not *no .. but HELL no! If I did that I know I would end up "stretching" some of the Euro modules to provide more working space, just as I did with some option switches on one of my Doepfer 4ch VCA/Mixers .....

All of that said, I'm not an automatic fan of Synthesizers.Com new modules, at least not all of them. I recently purchased a Q114++ Mixer ... it's a great module but it's only "half done". It really really needs to have rotary switches .... nice full sized ones .... to provide total access to all five "modes" each channel has at it's disposal (instead of offering a toggle switch that only provides two of the five under-panel options). A per-channel on/off toggle wouldn't hurt either.

So it all works, you just have to learn how to make it all work .. for you!

thumbs up
dhergott1
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

So it all works, you just have to learn how to make it all work .. for you!

thumbs up

Impressive nanners
jkjelec
Yah Rex Coil 7, that's awesome how you've made the various parts be exactly what you want. I love those short right angle plugs/cables. They remind me of that Escher drawing of a hand holding a pencil, drawing itself. lol

My system is Modcan A with MU and MOTM converted to bananas as needed. Just like cornutt, I'd prefer the system modules to match and I would/do pay a premium to do so.
Sparrows78
For me its all about ergonomics and looks - I'm pretty physical when I play and like the big knobs and space of 5u. And it just looks som much more awsome than 3u, it gets me inspired to play smile
Sparrows78
And I'm a beginner in the diy synth world. Of course there was a phase when I was choosing format to build - Euro or something else. Going 5U was maybe not the most practical but soo rewarding!
JohnLRice
Welcome to Muff's, Sparrows78! w00t
johny_gtr
My MU system is more super sound super versatile analog duophonic synth than a modular system. I like its pure sound, controls and look.

But almost all new things and ideas are in Euro because of big market. And if you like to return R&D costs - Euro is a way to go. I think that MOTM found Paul S. is very happy to develop new modules in Euro and produce them in grands not in dozens of modules per year.

Not all Euro modules looks like Make Noise. There are some brands with classic look and layouts like Mutable Instruments, Erica Synth, XAOC, etc.
Euro can also provide some interesting analog clones like Epoch Modular clones of Hordijk modular (and euro clones are a lot cheaper).

Just for me I don't get the idea of cloning euro to MU and just create small euro case. Why? If it's good porting with porting layouts, knobs, jacks - it is pricey - like price of module X2. For cheap - it looks fugly.

Trends can change if several top musicians (current top, not top of 70-80-90-00) record their MU systems on new albums and share some photos in instagram, it will be a new boom of MU modular.

just my 0.02
kindredlost
It's a crazy World out there. Be careful. Before you know it there will be dotcom living with Serge and Blacet holding hands with a Wiard! I heard of a banana plug trying to force it's way into a 3.5mm jack the other day. The horror of it all.

I miss the days when a Moog lived in it's own community way out there on the East Coast. Some days it's difficult to drag myself out of bed.
Dcramer
kindredlost wrote:
It's a crazy World out there. Be careful. Before you know it there will be dotcom living with Serge and Blacet holding hands with a Wiard! I heard of a banana plug trying to force it's way into a 3.5mm jack the other day. The horror of it all.

I miss the days when a Moog lived in it's own community way out there on the East Coast. Some days it's difficult to drag myself out of bed.

lol we're not worthy
Dilibob
I kind of like the full-normal kind of approach in some of the ++ dot com modules, it makes sense to my brain (also how they etched in the paths). Really the old moog "hidden" paths always confused me(it kind of confuses me just like some euro stuff does), but I think the main thing is getting something that "sync" with your brain works - how ever weird that is. When the dot com stuff has hidden connections, like between the q127 and q140, that makes total sense to me ... so I guess I do like hidden paths sometimes (it's ok for me to reverse my opinion multiple times in the same paragraph ... right ?).
ranix
There are some damn fine Moon normal paths too. The 544CP has this awesome two channel mixer with individual outputs. When nothing is connected, each knob is an offset. If you insert a signal into only the right channel, the mixed output is now the offset on the left knob and the attenuverter on the right knob. A mixer that turns into a signal processor w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2