crOwBX 8-voice

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
livewire
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: Sandy Eggo

Post by livewire » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 am

Just received an update from Old Crow on the status of the CrowBX 4-voice board sets to cover existing orders.
He has received the panel and carrier boards, the voice boards are due to be received at the end of March.
He will update again when he has the voice boards and is ready to ship. :sb:

User avatar
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by mOBiTh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:17 am

glad to hear this is ticking over! :guinness:

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 am

livewire wrote:Just received an update from Old Crow on the status of the CrowBX 4-voice board sets to cover existing orders.
He has received the panel and carrier boards, the voice boards are due to be received at the end of March.
He will update again when he has the voice boards and is ready to ship. :sb:
Great, thanks!
Has anyone heard anything about or received the 8 voice backplane yet? Not that i’m that much in a hurry, but before starting the voice cards it’d be nice to be able to check the clearance between voice cards - for capacitors etc. having seen the creative solutions people have done for the 4 voice I’d like to know these things before starting...

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am

Has anyone looked at a source or alternative of the obsolete Molex connectors?
For example, looking for part: 538-09-52-3032 on mouser or digikey gets nothing.
Anyone know if they have been replaced with a new compatible model, or do we have to start looking in old bins at surplus stores for spares? :)

User avatar
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by mOBiTh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am

Definitely worth installing trimmers you can access from the side once all the cards are in place :hihi: :goo:

Can't imagine anyone will shed any tears over those molex connectors...

User avatar
JanneI
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 am

Post by JanneI » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:56 am

mOBiTh wrote:Definitely worth installing trimmers you can access from the side once all the cards are in place :hihi: :goo:

Can't imagine anyone will shed any tears over those molex connectors...
This!!! I posted pics of the trimmer mounting I did on my 4-voice, all accessable without removing any voice cards. Also, there's pics of the big el.caps mounting. Let's hope there is more room between the voice cards in the 8-voice back plane.

jimfowler
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by jimfowler » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:57 pm

The 8 voice backplane does afford more space. The amount of space is uniform for all voice cards and is the same as the space between voices 2 and 3 on the 4 voice backplane. See attached photo.

Image[/img]

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:47 pm

I did this spacing on purpose to avoid having to resort to creative capacitor lead-bending. ;)
jimfowler wrote:The 8 voice backplane does afford more space. The amount of space is uniform for all voice cards and is the same as the space between voices 2 and 3 on the 4 voice backplane. See attached photo.

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:00 pm

For those interested, I will be opening a pre-order page on my sales portal later this month for the 8-voice board sets. There will be full sets and as well as partial sets for those with existing voice cards. I am working on the front panel and control boards currently. Delivery of the backplane and voice cards will be in April, with the panel and control expected to be ready sometime in the early summer.

Crow
/**/

User avatar
ultravox
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:45 pm
Location: USA, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Japan

Post by ultravox » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:12 pm

oldcrow wrote:For those interested, I will be opening a pre-order page on my sales portal later this month for the 8-voice board sets. There will be full sets and as well as partial sets for those with existing voice cards. I am working on the front panel and control boards currently. Delivery of the backplane and voice cards will be in April, with the panel and control expected to be ready sometime in the early summer.

Crow
/**/
That's great news! Eagerly awaiting the new 8 voice front panel and control board.
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

jimfowler
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by jimfowler » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:18 pm

I’m in line right behind ultravox.

User avatar
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by mOBiTh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:03 am

oldcrow wrote:For those interested, I will be opening a pre-order page on my sales portal later this month for the 8-voice board sets. There will be full sets and as well as partial sets for those with existing voice cards. I am working on the front panel and control boards currently. Delivery of the backplane and voice cards will be in April, with the panel and control expected to be ready sometime in the early summer.

Crow
/**/
Awesome news, thanks Crow!

Can we see a preview of the new front/control panel please? Are you planning to make this more spacious now that the mid-plane is ~twice the size?

:guinness:

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:24 pm

It is in the preliminary phase, but the control panel will look something like this:

Image

The 12mm buttons will all have integral LEDs. The section in the lower right area are individual voice panners which connect to the backplane header I have in place for this. This is meant to fit behind a 5U a 19" panel.
mOBiTh wrote:
Awesome news, thanks Crow!

Can we see a preview of the new front/control panel please? Are you planning to make this more spacious now that the mid-plane is ~twice the size?

:guinness:

User avatar
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by mOBiTh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm

looking fantastic! 8-) :guinness:

User avatar
ultravox
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:45 pm
Location: USA, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Japan

Post by ultravox » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Excellent!!! :sb:

I'm going to go ahead and source the rest of the BOM for the voice cards and start building them.
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

User avatar
The Real MC
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:36 pm
Location: In front of computer

Post by The Real MC » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:05 pm

:love: :sb: :champagne: :spin:
I haz a wrench, to fix da synth.
http://www.analoguediehard.com/

jimfowler
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Post by jimfowler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Looking very much forward to what you've got in the works.

User avatar
livewire
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: Sandy Eggo

Post by livewire » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:11 am

Bravo! :yay: :yay: :yay:

User avatar
JanneI
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 am

Post by JanneI » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:49 am

:banana: :nana: :yay: :bananaguitar: :sb: :tu:

Add to basket.

User avatar
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by mOBiTh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 am

Hey Crow, is that a 4 pin SPI LCD in the middle of the panel??

I smell presets/autotune :hihi:

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:22 am

It is in fact a small OLED display. :sb: Given the OBX had presets and
autotune, I plan to have the same thing here. The display is not strictly
needed, but when I go to write and debug the patch manager program, it
helps to have something I can use to show information.
mOBiTh wrote:Hey Crow, is that a 4 pin SPI LCD in the middle of the panel??

I smell presets/autotune :hihi:

User avatar
mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Post by mOBiTh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 am

oldcrow wrote:It is in fact a small OLED display. :sb: Given the OBX had presets and
autotune, I plan to have the same thing here. The display is not strictly
needed, but when I go to write and debug the patch manager program, it
helps to have something I can use to show information.
mOBiTh wrote:Hey Crow, is that a 4 pin SPI LCD in the middle of the panel??

I smell presets/autotune :hihi:
Fantastic news! Ah yeh I meant OLED...

So we could add an arpeggiator too then?? :goo:

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:42 am

FYI: I've put up pre-orders for both a backplane with 4 voice boards set and a backplane with 8 voice boards set. These are of course bare board sets. The voice boards are my latest v2.4 type that use the AS3310 re-issued envelope generator ICs. The 2.4 boards are backward-compatible with the v2.0 except they do not need a slot adapter for 4-voice or 8-voice use.

I will also put up a pre-order for voice boards only for those needing them to complete an 8-voice system.

The front panel and control boards are not done yet, but I will be opening that pre-order sometime this summer.

Cheers,

Crow
/**/

User avatar
duff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:21 pm
Location: UK

Post by duff » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:03 pm

I've got a bit confused by the various board set options there have been over time so I was wondering if someone could clarify.

Does the 8 voice set require the control board before you can use/test anything or could I use/test the voices as I were to build them without it?

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Good Lord, I could not resist so it looks like I will be building two 8 voice sets... :party:

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”