MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kitty Eyes, any good?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Author Kitty Eyes, any good?
lisa
I can’t find a thread specifically regarding Kitty Eyes. Is it useful or mainly gimmicky? I saw a few demo videos but would love to hear some tracks where you guys put it to good use.
Granny
i can't help you with that, but i think there should definitely be more sound/video bits of snazzys stuff
Granny
i will test the module at schneider's and give you my impression if u want. im also eyeing this module as a part of a smaller system
lisa
Granny wrote:
i will test the module at schneider's and give you my impression if u want. im also eyeing this module as a part of a smaller system

That'd be lovely! I'm especially interested in it as a CV source.
flx
I played with mine some more. It delivers fast, audio-rate signals, so you can use it for chaotic FM kind-of stuff or as a sound source. You can hear the "patterns" in the chaos, so it's really not random at all, which is good for FM in my opinion.

The CV input controls the speed or pitch of the chaos signals, like the Speed knob does. Fully CW, the Speed knob starves the Kitty, so it will stop its outputs. I like this because you can quickly mute it like that and depending on the CV input, you can also get very rhythmic patterns with pauses (at max CV).

The trigger output with its threshold knob will also output very fast trigger sequences. Again, good for harsh audio-rate modulation, but also for trills or other fast triggers to spice up your four-on-the-floor beats.

It's a very simple and small module, so don't expect something super deep, but it does what it's supposed to nicely.
Granny
flx wrote:
I played with mine some more. It delivers fast, audio-rate signals, so you can use it for chaotic FM kind-of stuff or as a sound source. You can hear the "patterns" in the chaos, so it's really not random at all, which is good for FM in my opinion.

The CV input controls the speed or pitch of the chaos signals, like the Speed knob does. Fully CW, the Speed knob starves the Kitty, so it will stop its outputs. I like this because you can quickly mute it like that and depending on the CV input, you can also get very rhythmic patterns with pauses (at max CV).

The trigger output with its threshold knob will also output very fast trigger sequences. Again, good for harsh audio-rate modulation, but also for trills or other fast triggers to spice up your four-on-the-floor beats.

It's a very simple and small module, so don't expect something super deep, but it does what it's supposed to nicely.

interesting, thanks! would you say that the dreamboat is more complex, or is it more like 2 kitty eyes with different speed? because i must say in your demo, i liked the sound of the dreamboat better and also the x+y visualisation looked better smile i thought that was maybe just because of different speed adjustments
sloth713
lisa if you are interested in chaotic cv at lfo rates check out the Snazzy FX Choas brother or any of the the Nonlinear Circuits Sloths. If you want faster chaotic cv modulation the Kitty Eyes or Dreamboat will serve you well. I have never had any of experience with the kitties eyes but the dreamboat and chaos brother are awesome; I ended up getting a version 1 triple sloths because I wanted 3 chaos signals at different rates.

As to if Kitty Eyes is musically useful it really depends on how you use it. To me that question is like asking a painter if turquoise is a useful color. But I can tell you I fell that chaotic modulation is often more musical than random in my opinion. To use an analogy that rings true with me to me: chaos is like track and hold less used but more "organically" musical while random is like sample and hold more common but more "robotically" musical. Hopefully that make a some since to you because I am not sure I expressed that in the clearest way. but no matter what if you are intrigued and in a good finical spot buy a kitty eyes or whatever other chaos model and if is not for you just resell it here on muffs for only a minimal lose (just think of it like you payed a small rental fee).
flx
Granny wrote:

interesting, thanks! would you say that the dreamboat is more complex, or is it more like 2 kitty eyes with different speed? because i must say in your demo, i liked the sound of the dreamboat better and also the x+y visualisation looked better smile i thought that was maybe just because of different speed adjustments

Yes, you could say that concept-wise the Dreamboat is two Kitty Eyes at high and low speeds, although as you wrote, they do sound and look quite different. I found the Kitty Eyes is easier to dial in, giving me more predictable results. You can see in my video* that without external CV, there are more stable waveforms on the Kitty Eyes, while the top part of the Dreamboat seems to have more of a life of its own. It feels like the KE is the cuddly cat that comes to you and the DB is the grumpy cat that wants to get away.

I think you really have to try one of them out. They all complement each other, KE, DB and Chaos Brother, so it's probably more of a question with which of them you want to start SlayerBadger!

* Here's my video from my big Snazzy thread, for the others who might not know what we're talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qCS-KT0-Pw
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Page 1 of 1