MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wave-based XY displacement?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Wave-based XY displacement?
Tristana
<- so I was mucking about with after effects and GIF size reduction techniques for a bit...

I'm curious. Is there a device that can modulate a video signal's image displacement both horizontally and vertically? That effect there was created with a triangle-shape displacement in one direction, with square displacement in another, but had to be rendered offline...

It'd be pretty dang neat to setup a device to intermittently trigger these displacements, lending some glitchiness to a live audio-visual performance or stream.

Original vid showing the effect I'm going for (before the significant GIF file size carnage) is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwlptr0o0jfbde5/gothyAvCCGIF.gif?dl=0
nerdware
I guess the answer is: no, there isn't such a device. However, software exists that can do this. I've used XY displacement in FFmpeg using the displace and remap filters, but only postprocessing, not in real time. Maybe someday I'll have a computer in my video rig powerful enough to do that. I expect that would be awesome in a feedback loop.

So I imagine it might be done using 2 video inputs and 1 video output. The first stream would be the video to be processed and the second stream could provide 2 planes for X and Y displacement. The second stream could come from a video synth. Even ramps would do some powerful transformations. FFmpeg can do some of these directly. E.g. the displace examples.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1