MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modded Lyra-8 anywhere?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Modded Lyra-8 anywhere?
kopplog
First: The Lyra is an astonishing piece of gear!
As I'm practising (and recording) daily since weeks now
I'm thinking of modding it slightly to my needs, whilst an input for external LFO's, overriding the internal complex one would be the sweetest upfront.

If someone outhere has done it so far, I'd appreciate it deeply if supporting me on that task, thank you!
k

ps.:
further,
changing some voice-pots to 3-turn potis instead.
dc_Sux
Doesn't it already have the capability to use an external LFO with the voice/delay CV ins?
Voice/delay are the only mod destinations for the internal LFOs, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what a custom mod would add?

But your post made me realise, my Koma FT-201 pedal, which has sat in a box unused for a year or two should make a great partner for my Lyra. Excited to try this tonight.
kopplog
I checked it now but - Nuh,
sadly I must give you the answer:
One LFO signal put into 'Delay CV' won't override the internal LFO nowhere. It will solely affect the 'Mod Delay' somehow.
Did you've tried that too with your Koma-pedal?

So, for me an 'external CV in' - mod definitely would make sense to get the LYRA into time sync (as a slave).

dc_Sux wrote:
Doesn't it already have the capability to use an external LFO with the voice/delay CV ins?
Voice/delay are the only mod destinations for the internal LFOs, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what a custom mod would add?

But your post made me realise, my Koma FT-201 pedal, which has sat in a box unused for a year or two should make a great partner for my Lyra. Excited to try this tonight.
chvad
There are two CV's. One for voices which bypasses the built in LFO and one for delay. From the manual:
"CV DELAY: This input allows using control voltage to modulate the delay time. When a cable is plugged in, the SELF and LFO modes are automatically disabled and delay modulation comes from an external source, regardless of the delay switch positions. Set the modulation amount with the individual MOD knobs for each delay line. The input signal must have a positive
value and a 3 to 12 volt amplitude. The relation of delay time to the control voltage is linear.

CV VOICES: This input is for using control voltage to control the pitch of voices. The CV input will control the voice pairs with LFO CV chosen as their modulation source. Plugging in a CV source cable in the CV VOICES input will cause the control voltage to replace the LFO and TOTAL FB signals (which are bypassed automatically). The amount of modulation is set by the MOD knob in a given voice section. This CV input doesn't offer the standard 1V/oct logarithmic function necessary for achieving a tuned musical scale. It's a modulating input, not a tone-precise VCO control that covers the entire frequency range. Nevertheless, a step sequencer can be used to build melodic lines by ear. Combined with the internal modulation,
this will yield interesting results. You can also try connecting an audio source to this input, e.g. a drum machine or another synth.
dc_Sux
kopplog wrote:
I checked it now but - Nuh,
sadly I must give you the answer:
One LFO signal put into 'Delay CV' won't override the internal LFO nowhere. It will solely affect the 'Mod Delay' somehow.
Did you've tried that too with your Koma-pedal?

So, for me an 'external CV in' - mod definitely would make sense to get the LYRA into time sync (as a slave).

dc_Sux wrote:

Yep. As above. You have to use the Voice CV in.
Works a charm with the koma pedal.
Takes a fair bit of tweaking to get musically pleasing results, given there are so many variables to set (tune for each oscillator, mod amounts for each pair of VCOs and obviously the CV value for each step on the sequence), but definitely interesting, and still a wealth of possibilities to explore.
Also with the koma pedal's CV out from the light sensor I can get to to work as a very weird sort of 8 osc theremin!
dc_Sux
Quick and dirty jam with the Koma FT-201 modulating and filtering the Lyra-8.
Recorded into the OP-1with a smidgen of the OP-1 spring. No other effects/processing.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/dc-sux/lyraft201-221217/s-mAZwA[/s]
Synth Con Meo
dc_Sux wrote:
Quick and dirty jam using the Koma FT-201 modulating and filtering the Lyra-8.
Recorded into the OP-1with a smidgen of the OP-1 spring. No other effects/processing.

Man I really like that, it's actually the type of sounds and rhythms I want to produce.
dc_Sux
Synth Con Meo wrote:
dc_Sux wrote:
Quick and dirty jam using the Koma FT-201 modulating and filtering the Lyra-8.

Man I really like that, it's actually the type of sounds and rhythms I want to produce.

thumbs up
Definitely loads more to explore with this combo.

The idea of multi turn pots is nice, for more precise pitch control, but I don't think I'd have the balls to take an iron to my Lyra.
jkourula
I am also planning on couple of mods on my Lyra 8. Not that it needs them and that is why I am a bit hesitant in starting doing them - Lyra is such a powerful self-contained instrument.

The most useful (for me) mod I was planning was to have a kind of insert plug for each oscillator/voice. It could be used to process each oscillator through effects or just to take an oscillator out of the mix and use elsewhere (maybe even modulate Lyra itself). Not even sure if this is possible at the moment or if the required modding is too much, but it is a starting point at least.

Another would be to be able to take the trigger or envelope signals from the touch triggers out to a Eurorack system. Also I would like to be able to FM an oscillator with another without having the modulator in the mix, I suspect that this is not possible due to the architecture of the synth, but you never know.
kopplog
Interesting...
The insert youre talking about as well as the (i will call it 'pressure point taps' for the Moment) sound awesome to me.
Let US know if youre in it,please!
I'd still find a seperate CV-in for each voice useful as well as
Exchanging the half of half tuning knobs in each section with geared potentiometers (3:1 or 2:1) which are lockable
tweakfilter
jkourula wrote:

....The most useful (for me) mod I was planning was to have a kind of insert plug for each oscillator/voice. It could be used to process each oscillator through effects or just to take an oscillator out of the mix and use elsewhere (maybe even modulate Lyra itself). Not even sure if this is possible at the moment or if the required modding is too much ...

Please keep us updated!!
I would love differents outputs, 3 would be the ideal for groups of voice 1/2 , 3/4/5/6, and 7/8. Inserts like those mackie half click that acts as directs out, sounds a good choice, not that I appreciate a lot, but it would be a nice addition to the Lyra.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1