MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Progressive ambient w Rings Rainmaker Clouds + Elektron
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author Progressive ambient w Rings Rainmaker Clouds + Elektron
vssp
Just new to Eurorack, I've built a little system to complete my Elektron boxes (Octatrack and Analog Keys), with mostly Rings, Rainmaker, Clouds.

Here after two progressive ambient tracks just live recorded with a handy recorder, don't hesitate to give some feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-o7anh6mkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADCun4Z3jlU

Cheers
Josef_K
Just another noob starting up here so take my words lightly smile Imo Rings, Rainmaker and Clouds (though I don't own any of them) are all incredible sounding modules and you use them well, their voice/s (if I hear what I think I'm hearing of course) often sound interesting, but I'm not sure about your drum/percussive sounds, they sound a bit too dry for me. I'm not that into electronic drums at all I guess so what do I know.

I know the whole idea here is live recording but I would love to hear what you can come up with if you go for a more layered and down-tempo kind of sound, focusing on the atmosphere and expanding the soundscape in the stereo field. Maybe I want you to do that just because that's what works for me so far haha, but yeah. Anyway, I'm curious to see what you come up with next, subscribed to your channel. Keep up the good work smile
vssp
Hi Josef K, first of all thank you to have stopped by here!
Rings/Rainmaker/Clouds are wonderful modules, so quickly musical, very inspirational... I've tried to slighltly modulate them with Pamela NW and Voltage Block, but the major evolutions have been made in tweeking by hand, and I'm quite satisfied with this way to modulate them...
Regarding the drums, I have to say that I've done the track and recording with headphones, and I think I really understand your point about certain percussive sounds which appear slightly out of the mix when listening on speakers...
The whole idea is live recording, yes and no, I have to say that I have some logistic constraints I would say, so that I want to work with a mobile and compact set-up, moreover I don't want to spend so much time in working with a DAW, I prefer for now the more fluid and immediate process of recording in one take, it's certainly a pity but it's a constraint I want to deal with for now, certainly the results could have been a lot more gratifying with a DAW, but let's say the process to live record in one take is also highly challenging and exciting...
Anyway, I'll think about your advice to work on slower tempos (I was though at 80bpm which is quite slow), focusing on the atmospheres, and thanks a lot to have subbed!

Quote:
Maybe I want you to do that just because that's what works for me so far haha

Could you please send me a link to your records so that I can better figure out? I'm curious to hear what you are talking about... smile

Thanks again for the support, it's really appreciated! smile cheers
tonymasiello
I tend to agree with Josef's opinion. You have such a wonderful, lush, pad going on, the percussion sound is very flat in contrast. Perhaps, mixing in some variety of percussion tones if your setup allows...

I appreciate what you said about recording live and in the moment. I have my share of lengthy excursions where I am entertained by my own modulations only to listen back some time later and wonder what I was thinking...
Josef_K
vssp wrote:
Hi Josef K, first of all thank you to have stopped by here!
Rings/Rainmaker/Clouds are wonderful modules, so quickly musical, very inspirational... I've tried to slighltly modulate them with Pamela NW and Voltage Block, but the major evolutions have been made in tweeking by hand, and I'm quite satisfied with this way to modulate them...
Regarding the drums, I have to say that I've done the track and recording with headphones, and I think I really understand your point about certain percussive sounds which appear slightly out of the mix when listening on speakers...
The whole idea is live recording, yes and no, I have to say that I have some logistic constraints I would say, so that I want to work with a mobile and compact set-up, moreover I don't want to spend so much time in working with a DAW, I prefer for now the more fluid and immediate process of recording in one take, it's certainly a pity but it's a constraint I want to deal with for now, certainly the results could have been a lot more gratifying with a DAW, but let's say the process to live record in one take is also highly challenging and exciting...
Anyway, I'll think about your advice to work on slower tempos (I was though at 80bpm which is quite slow), focusing on the atmospheres, and thanks a lot to have subbed!

Quote:
Maybe I want you to do that just because that's what works for me so far haha

Could you please send me a link to your records so that I can better figure out? I'm curious to hear what you are talking about... smile

Thanks again for the support, it's really appreciated! smile cheers

Ah, yes I understand where you're coming from (I think). Getting away from the screens and DAWs is one of the main attractions to modular in the first place smile Yeah 80BPM is not that fast, you're right, I guess I meant more the feel of the song, too many notes in too little time, not that the main tempo was too fast.

I haven't made much music myself that I've put out there honestly, I've played in bands and focused on that a lot and just got into modular this summer with a few modules at a time. The one piece I do have where I have multitracked lots of stuff and am quite pleased is a "dark ambient" kind of thing called "Burning Bridges in the Desert"

https://soundcloud.com/lukas-falkman/burning-bridges-in-the-desert

There's not a huge amount of multi-tracking going on there, and it's not written either, rather it's improvised in steps and with adjustments made to the arrangement as it grew. It's quite far from a one-take jam as well though. This method worked that time imo because I had a "song" in mind, a feeling, I could close my eyes and "see" what I was going for. In contrast, I'm currently using the same method for a drone piece where the starting point was "hey this is a cool sound I got in Softube Modular, I wonder what I can add that fits in". Without a feeling attached to the finished piece rather than to a single sound, I doubt I'll finish and release that song, rather I'll reuse some of the modulation ideas and whatever for songs that actually have a "purpose".

When I fill up my 6U 110HP skiff I might be tempted to do some one-take jams and view them as full songs, but I think I'll easily be disappointed if I expect so much from my modular. I think for me it will always be best to view it as one instrument of many. Just like I never feel a piano improvisation from me is a complete song, neither will a modular improvisation ever be.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1