The SNAZZY FX Thread - now with West Coast Travelogue :P

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 am

Telephone Game is a super module. hope you manage to score one soon!

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:53 am

Thank you for these videos! I needed reminding about this manufacturer. Such a fun sound to them.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 pm

baleen wrote:Telephone Game is a super module. hope you manage to score one soon!
I did! Should be here some time next week :yay: Do you have any tips on how to get started with it?
scuto wrote:Thank you for these videos! I needed reminding about this manufacturer. Such a fun sound to them.
Yeah, I think the new module lineup is great! Affordable modules which are easy to understand and use, but offer new sounds and concepts. I already wrote it, but that Eternal Spring Filter is sweet!
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Be sure to read the manual:
http://snazzyfx.com/products/telephone-game/

I haven't clicked with mine as much as I'd have liked. Have to put some more time in.

Really enjoying the sum out though for creating lots of weird flowing cv.

Be curious to see what you get up to with yours.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Dan Snazelle pointed me to his Soundcloud account, where he keeps lots of Snazzy FX sound demos, jams and live sets:
https://soundcloud.com/loss1234

Here's some Snazzy FX Techno for example:
https://soundcloud.com/loss1234/live-tr ... /live-sets
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

winterhater
Common Wiggler

Post by winterhater » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks for making these videos. I look forward to one about the tidal wave, It looks interesting but there are not many videos of it. Also the dreamboat looks interesting.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:35 am

winterhater wrote:Thanks for making these videos. I look forward to one about the tidal wave, It looks interesting but there are not many videos of it. Also the dreamboat looks interesting.
Do you have any questions in the meantime, until I get the videos done? Next ones will probably be about the Eternal Spring and Dual Multiplier.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:50 pm

flx wrote:
baleen wrote:Telephone Game is a super module. hope you manage to score one soon!
I did! Should be here some time next week :yay: Do you have any tips on how to get started with it?
Dan posted a lengthy manual here:

http://snazzyfx.com/workspace/uploads-d ... -final.pdf

it lacks formatting and is very stream-of-consciousness but it explains the panels well.

my basic breakdown of TG is that it's a shift register/stepped value looper with feedback. there's a lot that can happen in there.

he rec's and I 2nd pairing TG with a more robust clock module (TG requires a clock to function - you have to fill the cells before anything happens) - shuffling up the clock in is super fun, I used TimeRunner for this on the clock in but also with a dual S/H on the outputs to further pull the "melodies" from TG apart.

feeding TG CV and clock from Wogglebug, I used the TG clock divider and outputs to futz w Timerunner too. no I don't have any clear recordings of this sorry!

the one module I don't have that I think would be really fun w TG is a switch to modulate/automate the input signal.

TG very much plays well with others! Let it boss around that Triggerman, generate some melodies for yr voices, who knows.

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New SNAZZY FX videos, buying guide & discussion!

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:43 pm

flx wrote: Chaos Brother: Two medium to fast LFO rate chaos signals, a slewed output for smoother CV, a CV/trigger input to "sync" it to an external clock and a chaotic gate output (really cool to add synced but off-beat drum triggers to a sequence for example). Needs a bit of practice to figure out.

Generally, you want to control the chaos modules with external CV as this makes them become more rhythmical and move their signals between the various more or less stable states. Without CV their signal is chaotic but without much movement.

Check out my video above comparing the three chaos modules' outputs.

Also read this great blog post by fellow wiggler obadada about chaotic oscillators with examples from the Chaos Brother:
http://ristoid.net/modular/chaos_sync.html
The speed of the Chaos Brother is the only thing I don't like about it. I did email Dan a few times about modding it out to be slower and I might try to contact him again and see if he'd be up for modding it (though it seems easy, I just have no damn time lately). Otherwise it's a great module.

Personal favorite - the Telephone Game. Instant weird melody machine and the ability to lock the contents in the Buckets is great. Plus you get a handful of outputs to drive various oscillators or other devices (ie: filter cutoff from Slew output).
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
http://www.answer-phone.org

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:15 pm

hey does anybody know what the upper bandwidth limit on the Hi Gain is? would it be suitable for fast video signals?

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks for the Telephone Game tips! Looking forward to finally play with it later this week :yay:

I recorded another jam session using the Tidal Wave as a regular synth voice, sequenced by the SQ-1 and layered with some more snazzy stuff:

[video][/video]

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote: The speed of the Chaos Brother is the only thing I don't like about it. I did email Dan a few times about modding it out to be slower and I might try to contact him again and see if he'd be up for modding it (though it seems easy, I just have no damn time lately). Otherwise it's a great module.
That would be an interesting mod! So far I mainly use the Chaos Brother synced to a clock, to add some chaos to a sequence, which it does great! Using it as a super slow LFO would be cool too though.

moremagic wrote:hey does anybody know what the upper bandwidth limit on the Hi Gain is? would it be suitable for fast video signals?
I don't know and unfortunately sold my analog video gear a while ago. You should probably write Dan an email directly or tweet him at https://twitter.com/snazzyfx
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 am

Explored the Tidal Wave in synth voice mode some more and added chaotic noise and Dronebank drones :bananaguitar:

[video][/video]
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:26 am

Look what I found in the mail today :yay:

Click to hear my first patch with it:

I also installed my Klangbau spring reverb tank inside the case for more ambience. Again, click for a short video:

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 am

I filmed a new demo video:

Eternal Spring Filter
[video][/video]
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 am

flx wrote:Look what I found in the mail today :yay:

Click to hear my first patch with it:
yeah now yr cookin

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Filmed a "Patch from Scratch" video with the Snazzy FX system, in which I try to patch something spontaneously, while explaining stuff. It was fun to make, but I might need to practice this live approach a little more :blush:

[video][/video]
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

Mefistophelees
USB Cat

Post by Mefistophelees » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks for the videos. I didn't realise how good at sound mangling some of these modules were!

I've got the Tidal Wave and Wow and flutter. The Tidal Wave is powerful and makes greatly weird noises but it is rather counter intuitive.

The Wow and Flutter never seems that impressive to me for a long time but I eventually discovered that it's very picky about what you feed it and the settings. It needs a very percussive input to trigger the effect properly. I played a Chapman Stick through it the other day and it went completely bonkers. It was giving me all these bizarro pitch shifts, fantastic!

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 pm

This seems as good a time as any to plug the cheat sheet I made for the Tidal Wave. I really dig it, but it's true that having an O'toole or Data is very helpful in understanding what it's doing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 am

Mefistophelees wrote: I've got the Tidal Wave and Wow and flutter. The Tidal Wave is powerful and makes greatly weird noises but it is rather counter intuitive.

The Wow and Flutter never seems that impressive to me for a long time but I eventually discovered that it's very picky about what you feed it and the settings.
Yeah, the Tidal Wave with its routing switches is definitely a hard nut to crack. It's good that one can also just patch things with cables using the inputs and outputs. My Wow and Flutter should arrive in a week or two and I'm looking forward to try it. Seems like a complex module as well.

geremyf wrote:This seems as good a time as any to plug the cheat sheet I made for the Tidal Wave. I really dig it, but it's true that having an O'toole or Data is very helpful in understanding what it's doing!
Thank you! This has helped me so much when I found it in an older thread! :hail: I added it to the OP, if you don't mind.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am

... aaaaand my Wow and Flutter has arrived :mrgreen:

Now all I'm missing is that Ardcore Expander. Although, I've been having fun with the Ardcore so much in the past couple of days that I might get a second one.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 pm

My quest is finally complete! I received a second (old school Rev 1) Ardcore yesterday and got the Ardcore Rev 2 Expander on the way. This means I own all of the Snazzy FX modules now :goo:

I'm programming a weird rhythmic CV waveshaper at the moment! Never thought that Ardcore coding would be that much fun!

YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Just some Snazzy FX jamming :razz:

[video][/video]
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:42 am

I just released two Ardcore Sketches on Github:
https://github.com/TuesdayNightMachines/Ardcore

I coded those from scratch using 20 Objects' template.

Dirty Mirror:
A wavefolder and wave-combiner/mixer/multiplier for CV and audio, with a clock divider output. Check it's Analog Out on a scope.

Knob A0: Threshold above which Wave 1 will be output, below will be the inverted Wave 2
Knob A1: Clock divider value (starts off, then clockwise = higher division, i.e. slower clock)
Knob A2: Attenuator for Wave 1 input
Analog In 2: Input for Wave 1 (unipolar, scaled to 0-5V, input above 5V will fold over)
Knob A3: Attenuator for Wave 2 input
Analog In 3: Input for Wave 2 (unipolar, scaled to 0-5V, input above 5V will fold over)
Digital Out D0: Trigger on Wave 1 input above Threshold, divided Clock Divider
Digital Out D1: Trigger on Wave 2 input above Threshold, divided Clock Divider
Clock In: Cycle through modes: combiner (A2 above threshold, inverted A3 below), mixer (A2-A3), multiplier (A2*A3) and silence (patch D0 to Clock In for rhythmic fun)
Analog Out: Waveform output (unipolar, 0-5V)

Bit Beats Groovebox:
An 8-step trigger sequencer and a monophonic, lo-fi chiptune groovebox with three drum sounds and three synth waveforms.

Knob A0: Pattern selection (0-255 converted to binary, so patterns between "0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0" and "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1")
Knob A1: Synth waveform selection (Saw, Tri, Saw+Squ, Silence)
Analog In A2: Drum waveform selection, can be CV-controlled (Kick, Snare, Percussion, Silence)
Analog In A3: Synth wave pitch, can be CV-controlled (not 1V/oct)
Digital Out D0: Pattern output (trigger on every 1 bit)
Digital Out D1: Inverted pattern output (trigger on every 0 bit)
Clock In: External clock input
Analog Out: Unipolar Audio Output

I'll post some videos soon, especially for the Dirty Mirror waveshaper, which might not be too easy to understand.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 am

Here's a quick video demo for the "Dirty Mirror" Ardcore Sketch.

[video][/video]
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:05 am

Two more videos.

Another drone jam:
[video][/video]