MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nuendo vs Reaper for Sound Design
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Nuendo vs Reaper for Sound Design
Tunatoboggan
I'm a bit fed up dealing with ProTools' quirks, so I'll be keeping it around for other reasons, but I'd like to find a new sound design workhorse DAW. Of course I'll end up sticking with what feels the best to me, just figured it's worth running it by some of the more experienced users here.

Please chime in with your experience using either Nuendo or Reaper. I'll be using it strictly for sound design for film and games. Here's what I've gathered so far to give you a point of reference

Nuendo Pros:
    -Deep "Audiosuite" functionality
    -Works with Wwise somehow (?)
    -Excellent batch processing
    -Sound randomizer looks incredibly useful

Reaper Pros:
    -Considerably cheaper
    -Highly customizable
    -Video editing (?)
    -Working with different sample rates
    -Simplified routing
chvad
reaper also has excellent batch processing. i can sing reaper praises for days. it's has a ton under the hood but you'll have to be ok with its somewhat bland gui. i'm used to it and it is an understandable turn off for some.

in terms of load time and performance ... reaper is lighter on its feet than anything else i've ever used. very fast.
skyshaver
Reaper has become the go to DAW for the sound art, found recording, field recording folks which would seem a ringing endorsement for sound design. I don't know how it handles video though. I did a 3 day field recording workshop with some well respected Canadian sound art folks and everyone was using reaper. They did a lot of work with a 9 speaker setup and they found the plugs and routing they needed worked best in reaper.
Tunatoboggan
Thanks for the insight guys!

I've started my reaper trial, and so far so good. Plenty of re-skins to enhance the UI, which is slightly bland as you said by default.

One thing I've yet to figure out is something to replace my Workspace window from protools. I really did enjoy not having to use a separate app for sound library/Metadata managing. Still a lot to learn, though, so we'll see!
makers
I'm quickly becoming a Reaper fan but the last I checked, it had zero support for OMF or AAF files. That puts up a serious roadblock for collaboration with picture editors.
ludu357
I'm still in the process of switching from Ableton Live, but from now, Reaper is just incredible. The routing capabilities are we're not worthy

it's like...freedom
soundshaper
makers wrote:
I'm quickly becoming a Reaper fan but the last I checked, it had zero support for OMF or AAF files. That puts up a serious roadblock for collaboration with picture editors.

This was the one thing that put me off when I was doing a lot more post-processing for video. Nuendo was my choice because I had to import OMFs from the person doing video editing several times per week.

That being said, when I do my own music video projects, I use Reaper for the whole thing! The video effects are pretty good too if you play with them enough and get creative. They do have weird issues like some affect every video track below too, so you have to experiment. Great software though.
Elephantbud
I have been a nuendo user since 3.0 ( started with cubasis and upgraded... )
I now use 5.5 and want to upgrade to the latest version.
Price: 550€ !!!

Fuck that!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1