MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DDSR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author DDSR
dogoftears
BugBrand wrote:
Yeah, the D-to-A is kind of a bonus generation from the Digital Shift Register.

Both types of shift register is like a chain of buckets (yep, BBD-ish) where each time a clock occurs, the contents gets passed along the chain, but:
Digi-shift - each stage can either be on or off
Analogue-Shift-Register - each stage can be any voltage - they're all Sample & Holds.

A dual quantizer would go very nicely with the DDSR! Imagine triggering them with different taps and feeding them with different D-to-A signals... Don't get me tempted! (what I really want to do is a dual Sonic Potions Penrose - sometime....)

what's interesting is that the DDSR produces such musical intervals without any quantization! SR's are so f'in weird, i'm completely lost in this module.

the 3 things that come to mind when I use those DA outs--
quantization would be nice
slew would be nice
attenuation would be nice-- they have a huge 10 volt range.

slew would really take it to a new level IMO.

what kinds of things do you guys like to feed to the data input? i'm just using one of the VCO outputs from the synth voice atm.
radams
BugBrand wrote:
Yeah, the D-to-A is kind of a bonus generation from the Digital Shift Register.

Both types of shift register is like a chain of buckets (yep, BBD-ish) where each time a clock occurs, the contents gets passed along the chain, but:
Digi-shift - each stage can either be on or off
Analogue-Shift-Register - each stage can be any voltage - they're all Sample & Holds.

A dual quantizer would go very nicely with the DDSR! Imagine triggering them with different taps and feeding them with different D-to-A signals... Don't get me tempted! (what I really want to do is a dual Sonic Potions Penrose - sometime....)

Thanks Tom
I think I get the gist of it now.
I do have one of the Barton dual quantizer you made up a while ago.
Am I correct in remembering that it only has a +5 volt range or is it a full +10?
Thanks
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
(what I really want to do is a dual Sonic Potions Penrose - sometime....)

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
BananaPlug
DDSR in the house. Just getting started. hyper
Here's something driving DRM, a low SVF and Batcha's RM. The various RM percussion sounds are selected by taking bits of DDSR to the inputs of a CLK2A! I'm just letting it run by itself then fading out the three voices. Seems like there's a ton of room for synced beats spiced with enough wonkiness to keep them interesting.

Another one: 20180718-A44-DDSR-contd

Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
Fun patch based using DDSR and a 2bitbinmux to produce stereo acid sounds via the CoF individual outs - low panned centre, mid and high are hard left/right with mid inverted. scrotum labs grille + radio music in use too for drum duties. Don't forget to use headphones!

if anyone wants to hear the full 9min or so take it's on soundcloud (embedding won't work?)
http://www.soundcloud.com/dermo/bugbrand-spatial-acid-rhytmic-jam-uned ited-take
BugBrand
radams wrote:
I do have one of the Barton dual quantizer you made up a while ago.
Am I correct in remembering that it only has a +5 volt range or is it a full +10?
Thanks

Oops - missed replying.
Yes, the Barton is 0 to +5V I'm 99% sure from memory.
It isn't the most accurate design, but I remember it being fun & OK.
As with many simple quantizers it could benefit from attenuation / mixing (and/or offset) at the input so you get more control over where abouts your are within the scale limits.
BugBrand
I just posted a first version of instructions to the original post

[let's see if this link works for downloading it direct - yup, think so...]

I'll be shouting out to a few of you now that a few more DDSRs have been built...
jimmie
Those videos are very nice! and I'm broke Dead Banana Dead Banana
BananaPlug
I love the way you can inject an occasional pulse through the Data input and cause a little craziness to happen. These generative examples are all about a minute and not very different. I was just playing around with small variations. Made from DDSR, some SEQ related stuff, DRM, a pile Blacet, etc.
DDSR-Blacet-rough-A
Slightly better tuned version (mildly excruciating)
DDSR-Blacet-rough-B
Yet another round
DDSR-Blacet-rough-C

hmmm..... I wonder if we should have separate threads for DDSR Q&A and examples of what we're doing with it?
fredguy
I parked the DDSR next to a matrix mixer and run the 4 d/a outs into the
mixer, two of the mixer outputs into the DDSR data inputs. The mixer also
limits the output voltages when feeding a Barton quantizer, filter pinging etc.

Endless musical variations on tap.

w00t
lud
Great video Chris and a lovely set up!

chrisdermo wrote:
Fun patch based using DDSR and a 2bitbinmux to produce stereo acid sounds via the CoF individual outs - low panned centre, mid and high are hard left/right with mid inverted. scrotum labs grille + radio music in use too for drum duties. Don't forget to use headphones!

if anyone wants to hear the full 9min or so take it's on soundcloud (embedding won't work?)
http://www.soundcloud.com/dermo/bugbrand-spatial-acid-rhytmic-jam-uned ited-take
batchas
chrisdermo wrote:

Listening with a big smile on my face screaming goo yo
lud
Thanks for the DDSR manual Tom, some great information and patch ideas in there. Loving the module, pure fun!
chrisdermo
THanks batchas and lud! Going to try expand on these ideas soon and try find a way to alter the grille patterns in a controlled way - may just need to get more hands on with the knobs!

DDSR manual is superb, good to be reminded of things like clock division!
Vcoadsr
Received my DDSR on Saturday - first play around yesterday, still trying to get my head around the lo/hi interactions between the two channels on each side.... but it really has opened up the synthvoice for me!

https://instagram.com/p/Bl0h7scjU_O/
T. Jervell
chrisdermo wrote:

Very cool Chris! Now I’ve got GAS for the COFilter again.... hihi
dogoftears
question
so the DA outputs are 0-10 v.
does the data input like to see a bipolar or unipolar signal to output a full range of values? i mostly feed it an oscillator, but maybe i should try a looping EG.
BananaPlug
The data inputs are just high or low. The exact level doesn't matter much, just whether it's over a threshold of (I'm guessing) about a volt. There's a somewhat de-cluttered diagram in the first post. "Comp" means "comparator."
BugBrand
^^^Exactly.
& Data is only sampled when a clock event occurs - just samples low (below c.+1V) or high (above c.+1V)
/\/\/\/
BugBrand wrote:
Each side has two Digital-to-Analogue circuits summing the step outputs to give stepped waveforms (0-10V). [one sums four of the steps, the other sums all eight - so each output gives different results]

I'm also wondering how the steps are summed...

Taking the output which sums 4 steps for example, how might the output look for various inputs? Is it simply 0, 2.5, 5.0, 7.5, 10 V?
DickMarker
That manual is great, really helps to breakdown what's going on in the DDSR - I started mucking around with the digital noise generation patch last night, lots of great tones to be had.
BananaPlug
The more I play with it the more impressed I am by the DDSR's ability to provide so many useful CV and gate outputs. Here's a post where without much fuss it runs three sound sources and manages to be pretty musical and non-boring.
It's peanut butter jelly time!
fredguy
DDSR fun with DRM and SEQ1 sequenced SYN2c.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/op-ed[/s]
chrisdermo
fredguy wrote:
DDSR fun with DRM and SEQ1 sequenced SYN2c.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/op-ed[/s]

This is awesome! Have listened a few times now thumbs up
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:
The more I play with it the more impressed I am by the DDSR's ability to provide so many useful CV and gate outputs. Here's a post where without much fuss it runs three sound sources and manages to be pretty musical and non-boring.
It's peanut butter jelly time!

As is this! Thought I'd already expressed my enjoyment of this one but evidently not.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 5 of 6