MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DDSR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author DDSR
anadeji
cannot wait for this! great work as ever Tom!
chrisdermo
Can the gate outputs be stacked on inputs ok or should we use a mixer?
BugBrand
Yes, all gate outputs now have diodes for passive OR'ing --- though, of course, if you are taking an output to more than one destination you'll have to be careful with the summing because it'll affect all joined parts (does that mouthful make sense?!)
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
Yes, all gate outputs now have diodes for passive OR'ing --- though, of course, if you are taking an output to more than one destination you'll have to be careful with the summing because it'll affect all joined parts (does that mouthful make sense?!)

Yep totally made sense! I have my little DIY diode panel to avoid that if I need it. nanners
/\/\/\/
How are the gates triggered? Are all gates constant amplitude?
BugBrand
The gates are taps from the shift-reg 'conveyor belt' - they're 10V, active when the corresponding step is active.
BugBrand
Found another 'longer pattern' method - using Recirc AND feeding the other tap back into the Data input [ie. this is just done within one side of the DDSR]. Just make sure the tap & recirc lengths aren't the same. This option should have been obvious to me before - it is a very basic form of digital noise generation techniques (would be better with 3 or 4 times longer shift reg)

I also wanted to document the previous Long repeat I mentioned:
Clock both sides with the same clock.
Set a Recirc Pattern on the Left one (eg. 8 length)
Take the Tap from that side over to the data input on the right register.
Now, with the right reg XOR switch set to LO you'll get a following (but independent) pattern - so you can select a different tap compared with the original on the left.
Or if you set XOR to Recirc you get the long repeats - a setting of 7 will give 14 bars (of 8), while 6 will give 6 bars (I think that's right).

Hard to explain it all! Might do more vids sometime. Of course, I also need to do a product listing and instructions sometime, but think that playing is one of the best ways to get the feel!
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
Found another 'longer pattern' method - using Recirc AND feeding the other tap back into the Data input [ie. this is just done within one side of the DDSR]. Just make sure the tap & recirc lengths aren't the same. This option should have been obvious to me before - it is a very basic form of digital noise generation techniques (would be better with 3 or 4 times longer shift reg)

I also wanted to document the previous Long repeat I mentioned:
Clock both sides with the same clock.
Set a Recirc Pattern on the Left one (eg. 8 length)
Take the Tap from that side over to the data input on the right register.
Now, with the right reg XOR switch set to LO you'll get a following (but independent) pattern - so you can select a different tap compared with the original on the left.
Or if you set XOR to Recirc you get the long repeats - a setting of 7 will give 14 bars (of 8), while 6 will give 6 bars (I think that's right).

Hard to explain it all! Might do more vids sometime. Of course, I also need to do a product listing and instructions sometime, but think that playing is one of the best ways to get the feel!

I'm going to try this out tonight! I think i've done both of these before but a big part of the fun of playing is that the D/A outs can be fed to so many things that it can often become quite difficult to follow how many beats or bars before a repeat for all the lovely cross modulation! I'll take it back to simples to try these out.
chrisdermo
Got 30mins to myself last night to try out the long repeats patches. Seriously awesome stuff, with the dual method there's so much performability in simply switching the pattern length and xor between lo and recirc on the second register...... let alone changing the cycling bits on the first. Blew my mind!
rowsbywoof
Can’t wait for these to show up in the store. Sounds like proper fun.
BugBrand
rowsbywoof wrote:
Can’t wait for these to show up in the store. Sounds like proper fun.

They're unlikely to for the moment - but I've got some available for people with frame space.
chrisdermo
Some very crappily recorded (phone mic) clips with the grille on drumming duties and DDSR on getting wild duties!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5s9DxguQM/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5sY3nARLQ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5rcE_AWg2/

Lots to explore with this combo, going to try again for a proper video as soon as it's not a million degrees in my flat!
a100user
I missed the postman on Saturday so it'll have to wait until later in the week :(
BugBrand
Another fun patch to try::::

Audio rate clock.
Set XOR switch to Recirc.
- the Recirc Tap then gives audio rate divisions.
- listen to a Gate output for squarewave, or take a D-to-A for something a bit more harmonic.
Now - plug a sub-audio gate (eg. clock division or rhythm) into the Data input. Each time a gate occurs it kind of re-seeds the D-to-A waveform.

The results are very nice! It can sometimes sound slightly vocally even.

Will try to do a demo vid or recording later.
T. Jervell
Wanted to try this out, so made a quick and dirty video. I hope Tom will make a better one, as I just did this 5 minutes before I had to drive my children to the beach.....
Oh and BTW, the Chirper osc are hardwired to the DDSR’s inputs via the bud hence, no patch cables... SlayerBadger!
I also mix in osc 2 and the filter after a while. All driven by the DDSR.
sungja
Thanks for the patch tips Tom, will have a go at this patch tomorrow.

Trond, how are the ddsr hardwired to the chirper? Maybe i will have to look into this someday soon.
T. Jervell
sungja wrote:

Trond, how are the ddsr hardwired to the chirper? Maybe i will have to look into this someday soon.

You’ll have to ask Tom. It was his idea, and he also did the wiring. cool
chrisdermo
sungja wrote:

The DDSR has 'bus' clock inputs on the back that are associated with the switch bus/off/ext (clock input jack) on the front panel. Shouldn't be too hard to wire up.
BugBrand
New thread for such details....
(but needs pics!)
DickMarker
Just got one - thanks Tom.

It's been a while since I last had one, I had forgotten how inscrutable shift registers can be - this weird quality that appears almost random but you know they're working on some logic you haven't quite figured out yet!

Really fascinating alongside the Synthvoice with it's rota of quite standard, familiar modules and then you chuck this crazy cat amongst the pigeons. The audio rate patch mentioned above is great.
BugBrand
Thanks Mark & this is good to hear!
I absolutely agree on the play fight that is their behaviour - this module has a balance of understanding and surprise which is something I really like in electronic music systems.

Still need to kick myself to do another vid!
radams
Will the DDSR do “arabesque “ patterns in a similar way that the Serge ASR does?
BananaPlug
It's not the same idea. An ASR has multiple delayed-by-one outputs of the input. But these shifters derive A/D outputs based only on which bits are set. You can mess with the bits or you can let them recirculate unchanged. The D/A outputs will change accordingly and compared to ASR, that's a more indirect way to generate CVs. It's not random, but it's abstract enough for serendipity to be part of the charm.
radams
BananaPlug wrote:
It's not the same idea. An ASR has multiple delayed-by-one outputs of the input. But these shifters derive A/D outputs based only on which bits are set. You can mess with the bits or you can let them recirculate unchanged. The D/A outputs will change accordingly and compared to ASR, that's a more indirect way to generate CVs. It's not random, but it's abstract enough for serendipity to be part of the charm.

Thanks for the info Rockin' Banana!
BugBrand
Yeah, the D-to-A is kind of a bonus generation from the Digital Shift Register.

Both types of shift register is like a chain of buckets (yep, BBD-ish) where each time a clock occurs, the contents gets passed along the chain, but:
Digi-shift - each stage can either be on or off
Analogue-Shift-Register - each stage can be any voltage - they're all Sample & Holds.

A dual quantizer would go very nicely with the DDSR! Imagine triggering them with different taps and feeding them with different D-to-A signals... Don't get me tempted! (what I really want to do is a dual Sonic Potions Penrose - sometime....)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6