MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DDSR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author DDSR
BugBrand
Hmm, I thought I'd replied to say NICE WORK too..
tron23
BugBrand wrote:
Hmm, I thought I'd replied to say NICE WORK too..

Same here, been listening to the examples while waiting for the DDSR. Guinness ftw! to all the Bug family.
BananaPlug
Edited with new stuff 11/13 It's peanut butter jelly time!
Self running except for a knob change on the DDSR at 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30.

DDSR sample: Rhythmic 2row

An older one: Rhythmic 2row
BananaPlug
12/7
I've been rearranging modules and getting familiar with a new/old minisynth to use them as addons to my portable system. The rows in the previous post have been cut down to one. It brings the DDSR and a sound source or two to the portable's Chirper and other stuff.

Here's a short taste in which the portable is silent but provides timing signals. DDSR plays a Buggified E350 and Anushri's lovely mossy noise floor and crunchy beats keep things pulsing along.

Sound

Another piece of the puzzle is a skiff for mixing and routing. Guinness ftw!

12/8 EDIT:
Same basic setup with a quantizer and the DDSR might be patched differently. Has a sparse glitchy blues vibe. I think the noise that leaks into Anushri's drums helps sell the E350's organ sounds. Could use some reverb. Maybe next time.
More Sound It's peanut butter jelly time!

12/9 EDIT:
Here is a first encounter between Chirper and this rhythmic row. Rough but has moments that work. The last minute is just the groove with no Chirper.

Even More Sound

First impressions are that combining Chirper with the clocked, quantized rhythm is something like emulsifying oil and water. They don't mix but they make salad dressing. The DDSR's on/off bit outputs become useful cv to the Chirper oscillators. I'm not even going to try tuning Chirper to the steppy melody but harmony is fair game. Using effects differently helps keep these busy sounds distinct in the mix.

More to come. It's peanut butter jelly time!
batchas
BananaPlug wrote:
First impressions are that combining Chirper with the clocked, quantized rhythm is something like emulsifying oil and water. They don't mix but they make salad dressing.

Flashback reading this.

Another music in a different kitchen.

This is the title which comes to mind. It's from a Buzzcokcs LP I bought in London when it came out.

BananaPlug wrote:
More to come. It's peanut butter jelly time!

SlayerBadger!
batchas
batchas wrote:
This is the title which comes to mind. It's from a Buzzcokcs LP I bought in London when it came out.

Pete Shelley died a few days before I wrote this post. Discovering this only today Dead Banana
RIP.
BananaPlug
Back into rhythmic stuff and finding a nice balance of clocky DDSR timing with looser Chirper synced oscillators and synced LFOs.
LISTEN

It's peanut butter jelly time!
T. Jervell
BananaPlug wrote:
Back into rhythmic stuff and finding a nice balance of clocky DDSR timing with looser Chirper synced oscillators and synced LFOs.
LISTEN

I like, very much!! Nice work, lovely wonky rhythms nanners
knittingram
Will this be a separate module or only part of the forthcoming clock box?

Excited either way.
BugBrand
Available as module - I have stock on the shelf currently!
knittingram
hmmm..... hihi hyper
BananaPlug
With so many interestingly related outputs, DDSR is pretty deep.
Simple building blocks spinning off to places you never expected.
Here's a tidy two row combination I came up with on the weekend and am liking a lot.

The patch has DC mixer and Quantizer "re-volting" DDSR stairsteps. Binary Block Voltage adds some accents to vary the pattern. DRM is beating on sixes, low in the mix. There's lots of playable variation from the two interleaved voices in the SynthVoice. Just scratching the surface.
LISTEN
nanners
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:

nanners

Thoroughly enjoyed that BananaPlug! Took a while to get round to listening but well worth the wait.
BananaPlug
One more... LISTEN
Same two row setup as above plus Chirper based percussion from my trusty euro/frac two row system. Minimal playing here, just doling out the groove.
Drums! nanners
BugBrand
Nice bits! Does the old Quant give it that slideyness?
BananaPlug
re. slideyness - There's a little bit of slope on everything but those woops do appear to come from the QNT1 (driving 3 loads doesn't help).
Here's the path:
DDSR D/A outs & CLK2A (division) outs -> mixin UTL4 DC Mixer
^That happens twice (dual modules)
The two mix outs are quantized by dual QNT1 and drive various Synth Voice 1V/o inputs.
Are there any frac builds of O&C? hmmm.....
BananaPlug
More adventures with rhythmic stuff based on Clock divisions, DDSR and syncing Chirpers.

The left rows are my usual portable system. On the right is one row of rhythm generating frac (after lots of drop/add) and SynthVoice. The routing and mixing for use in the four row setup is still a work in progress. Thinking about other quantizers and it might be time for a standalone mixer.

hank
The DDSR is a lot of fun! Got mine racked up today and it's gonna take a lot more exploration to figure it out.

One half (via D/A output) controlling the VCO clocking both sides led to some interesting (one might even say BRRTing) results.
BananaPlug
I've been in Chirper land for a while but am back to automatic rhythmic stuff. I'm trying to not over complicate the DDSR patch and accept that full range stepped voltages need to modulate things without a full complement of scaling, quantizing and S&H helping them along.

Today's combo is centered on the DDSR. There's a master clock an LFO and 13fu of stuff: Dual Divide, Logic, DDSR, Dual Filter, Dual Amplifier, DRM1, PRC-3A (SVF). Both sides of the DDSR have the same clock and the tap output of the left half feeds the data input of the right half but no data goes to the left half. DRM isn't doing anything fancy at all but provides sanity against two twitchier filter based voices. One of those is in series with PRC-3A for additional flavor. The wonderful new Logic module is in full use. A fantastic tool.

Here's audio minus any wiggling though there are a fair amount of reversible ways to fool around in this jam. I need to spend some time with it. Generally after changing knobs and things on the DSSR I can get back to what I had earlier but I screw up sometimes.
Dead Banana

LISTEN

The next phase is to add a Grilles and let the DDSR patterns cut across the comfortable Grilles mapped patterns or maybe run DDSR much slower, using it to control longer variations. Aiming for a best of both worlds situation and looking forward to trying the DDSR D/A outs to modulate the Grille.
BananaPlug
Tough choice which thread to put this in but it's a simple application of the DDSR and I don't have many of those.

LISTEN
Quick demo via the builtin mics of my little recorder.
syncretism
So, I’m still trying to suss this; if I have the recirculation knob on 1, I can’t use this as a simple sample and hold, because the voltages produced aren’t what’s actually received by the “data” input?
BananaPlug
Syncretism,

There's no sample and hold. For one thing there is no analog input for it. The "Data" in is compared to get a 1 or 0 bit. The four D/A outputs are binary sums of some of the bits in the shift register.

There's a block diagram and a pretty good explainer video in the first post of this thread.
syncretism
Yeah, I saw the comparator and initial post, as well as the explanation that it's not meant to be an ASR; it's just not quite sinking in without actually messing with it, I suppose. I also need more s&h capabilities, so I was kind of hoping against hope for the extra feature. wink

Thanks.
milak9
Hi, first time posting on muff so hope this is ok to ask here. I was just wondering if these will be back in stock anywhere sometime soon? As a system or solo. Thanks!
syncretism
Email Tom, if you haven't - he's always been accessible and responds quickly, in my experience. Welcome to MW, milak9!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 6 of 7