MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DDSR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author DDSR
BugBrand
Wishing you all Happy Christmas!

Richard's 'show your bug' post reminded me that I wanted to share pics of this new prototype which is very fun to play.

It has taken me a few years of trying out various shift-reg ideas to arrive at something I think is quite playable - I still haven't mastered it into full control, but it chucks out all manner of interesting rhythm (via the gates) and clocked modulations (via the D to A outs).

It is dual / mirrored. I tried out a single one in 1FW and found it too cramped.
Each Shift Reg has clock and data inputs.
Data goes through an XOR gate which can recombine one of the gate outs to provide looping.
The Data and XOR switches (with Logic HI/LO and external feed) allow the data to behave in various ways.
Each side has two Digital-to-Analogue circuits summing the step outputs to give stepped waveforms (0-10V). [one sums four of the steps, the other sums all eight - so each output gives different results]

While I show it here in a standalone enclosure, I'm imagining it more with other modules - can work with things like the (soon) Chirper, but I'm dreaming of complimentary modules to build up full frames in a slightly different way to the SynthVoice.

Things like demos and block diagram after Christmas.

***update - June2018 --- rough demo:::
tIB
Ooh interesting- I probably need to hear a demo so I can figure it exactly what it does... I'm thinking funk?! Happy Christmas Tom!
leeski
Wow! woah thumbs up
ninGiaBoom
That's the Bugbrand i know and i we're not worthy appreciate the most: future proof and overall cool stuff that you rarely find around hyper
Happy holidays everybody

Merry Christmas and Cheers Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
Wowza! love
a100user
Great to see something new Tom. Would love to see and hear in action.
fredguy
Looks like hours of rhythmic fun. Can't wait to hear demos.

Happy holidays to all in bugland w00t
depth20
OMFG!!!! Would Love such a thing in a seperate enclosure!!
numan7
Lotsa Love what a beautiful arrangement of led indicators - really looking forward to seeing DDSR in action!

cheers
Illwiggle
Wow exciting stuff Tom!! Very inspiring, for real.
T. Jervell
Looks very promising indeed nanners
Very very cool!! Nice Work Tom thumbs up
Happy holidays.
indexofmetals
hi Tom,

I can see plenty of uses for this! Looking forward to more details.
BananaPlug
Nice to see this. Looking forward to details and demo. I like the decision to make it a dual but I can’t stand mirrored layouts. They work against “muscle memory.”
chrisdermo
This looks like it'd be so fun with a chirper, are those buttons at the bottom where it says data jam?
shortsleeves
chrisdermo wrote:
This looks like it'd be so fun with a chirper, are those buttons at the bottom where it says data jam?

I think these are LED's rather than buttons.

Cheers,
Lukasz
T. Jervell
shortsleeves wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

Cheers,
Lukasz

Are you sure? Looks like buttons to me (the two red ones above the red+green leds). Makes sens re: the discusson on double knots pusbuttons/BugBrand sequencer talk, in another thread. But who knows. I’m sure Tom will chime in over the holidays Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
T. Jervell wrote:
shortsleeves wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

Cheers,
Lukasz

Are you sure? Looks like buttons to me (the two red ones above the red+green leds). Makes sens re: the discusson on double knots pusbuttons/BugBrand sequencer talk, in another thread. But who knows. I’m sure Tom will chime in over the holidays Guinness ftw!

Yep that's what I thought! Makes sense in conjunctions with the toggles higher up?
KNYST
Very cool.

Happy hollidays!
BugBrand
Thanks! Good to hear there's some interest - I will try to do some clear demos later this week (the plays I had before Christmas went complex too quickly because of the fun of playing - though I may extract some snippets)

I updated the original post with a Block Diagram (single Shift-Reg) which hopefully clarifies inc. about the JAM button.

Mirrored layout - while I understand the theory of not liking such an approach, I'm not sure it is a problem in actuality.
BananaPlug
This just was not computing for me but the block diagram helps a lot. It's finally dawned on me that those knobs are Switches! That explains the 1-8 numbering. I'm still a bit muddled about the right hand end of the digram.
Quote:
Each side has two Digital-to-Analogue circuits summing the step outputs to give stepped waveforms (0-10V). [one sums four of the steps, the other sums all eight - so each output gives different results]

So do the 1-8 switches cause the D to A bits to be latched when the selected stage of the shifter is high? Functioning like an S&H?
hmmm.....
Tom explained and I realize I'd misunderstood direction implied by diagram's kinky lines between knob and D to A.
BugBrand
You may be overcomplexifying!?

It is an 8 stage shift reg. Data is sampled on the rising clock edge and each clock event shifts the outputs along one. [so like a clocked logic delay]

The rotary switches select stage 1 through 8.
The D-to-A is independent of the rotary switches - just summing (via R2R network) combinations of the 8 shift-reg outs.
chrisdermo
Doesn't quite compute for me either BUT I don't fully understand shift registers anyway, but an confident a demo would clear that up same as it did for double knot. Glad it has buttons for jamming with the rhythms looks like so much fun!
BananaPlug
chrisdermo wrote:
Doesn't quite compute for me either BUT I don't fully understand shift registers anyway, but an confident a demo would clear that up same as it did for double knot. Glad it has buttons for jamming with the rhythms looks like so much fun!

I'm sure it'll be fun, but the visuals may be sending the wrong messages. The choice of jack color: I'd think "stepped waveforms (0-10V)" would be on blue jacks and red jacks would only be gate signals. Repetition of legends is minimized but the horizontal white lines (spanning this dual module) can inadvertently imply functional connection rather than similar purpose. On the other hand vertical white lines do indicate functional connection.

Hope I'm not getting too far into the weeds. Just trying to help. nanners
phisynth
looks nice ! Is it comparable / different from the rungler part (and bits out on the expanded version) of the benjolin circuit ?
Tajnost
Looks exciting! Looking forward to hear it soon)
tron23
Wow, just saw this super cool thing. Happy holidays and all best for 2018, may all the designs flourish. I am all in for the rhythmic bits! w00t Guinness ftw!
batchas
Always a pleasure to see Tom's creations in this part of the forum.

I hope 2018 will be very prolific for all of you here.
DickMarker
Looks good Tom.

My only hands-on experience with a shift register is the Noisering, which has it's own noise source for the 'data'. I'm curious as to what you've been feeding in to your prototype as data?
Assuming it's going to be part of a frame, I guess there'll be some complimentary modules in the vicinity?
otoskope
Having been away and missed this thread, I just want to say I'd love to play with this. Noiserings are heavily used in my system, and this seems to be a new take, with a different feedback paths, etc.
Looking forward, Tom!
radams
Can't wait to hear some examples. I've been interested in adding something like this for some time. Looks wonderful Guinness ftw!
T. Jervell
After watching Tom’s latest YouTube video, I guess I’m gonna «need» the DDDR, the Chriper AND the DRM2 zombie Wow! Never maintain cash savings again
chrisdermo
T. Jervell wrote:
After watching Tom’s latest YouTube video, I guess I’m gonna «need» the DDDR, the Chriper AND the DRM2 zombie Wow! Never maintain cash savings again

YEAH! Also 'LPG PROTO'? Tom, please put this out with the rhythmic stuff (DDSR + dual divider?) Dead Banana
chrisdermo
The lights on the DDSR look amazing, reminds me of some kind of deep sea bioluminescent jellyfish
tron23
chrisdermo wrote:
The lights on the DDSR look amazing, reminds me of some kind of deep sea bioluminescent jellyfish

Impressive module, been a long time since i feel the need in the modular land, and it is a Bug, again! hyper
depth20
Maybe a demo soon?
sparks
Oh, I will be all over this, once available SlayerBadger!
BugBrand
Blue, blue, electric blue::

1st build of the 1st production run ('only' 6 months after I posted the first shots..)

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to go with these as I'm working towards the ClockBox Frame, but maybe a few can squirm out into the wild.
DickMarker
Hell yeah - much prefer the blue to the red here, seems more easy on the eyes.
T. Jervell
Oh looking gorgeous Tom! This would be great with the SynthVoice!! Hope to see these in production.... SlayerBadger!
KNYST
Beautiful! love
BananaPlug
Squirm! hyper
rowsbywoof
A clocking frame for the SynthVoice would be killer. Would the DDSR be the heart of that, or are you thinking this could add variation to a different clocking source? What other type of modules would you see filling out this frame? I like the idea of a non-linear approach to time... as ridiculous as that might sound wink Maybe it can be the anti-clocking frame?
chrisdermo
Agreed that blue is definitely the right choice for this module! What a beaut!
rowsbywoof
chrisdermo wrote:
Agreed that blue is definitely the right choice for this module! What a beaut!

Yeah, it's actually a lot easier to see what's going on in blue. Good choice for this one, especially if it's going to be part of the SynthVoice expansion smile

Looks great. Can't wait to hear wait it can do.
DickMarker
What's the deal with the clock switch? I get 'ext' obviously, but what's 'Bus'?
ninGiaBoom
Artwork!
applause
lud
Boom! That looks fantastic and hopefully we'll see some more blue soon
BugBrand
I'll try to get some pics up sometime but the ClockBox Frame will be:
Dual Clock Oscillator - twin Saw Core VCO (tracks well + covers full sub & audio ranges)
Quad Divider - two which are 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 and two which are 2/3/4/6/8/12/16/24
DDSR
(All above are 3FW (FracWidth) size)
Then the final 2FW will have options, either:
Dual DC Mixer (already done) - 2 x 3 channel DC mixing
Logic/Processes - still working on it - logic functions (Or/And/XOR + Inverts), controlled signal switching (bit like old UTL6B Active Switches) and some FlipFlops.

There is internal bussing from the two ClockOscs - jumpers on the back select which clock source goes to each Clock Input switch (similar on the Quad Divider).

I don't see it as the direct SynthVoice Expander but will pair nicely! I see things more in terms of 2Frame pairs - so SynthVoice+Expander as a pair and then ClockBox+Seq-Expander -- but I'm getting ahead of myself!

I tie myself slightly in knots with the Red/Blue divides but in general I see blue as 'pure' modular and red as more studio based processing - bit blurry on boundaries with Chirper, for example, but kind of sticks it right.

Old pic of ClockBox proto from a month or two back:

PS - I'm well aware that I'll need to do some demos of workings - quite a powerful random or clock conveyor.
dogoftears
joyous bluegasms
soup
Wow!
DickMarker
Drool
batchas
This project looks at this point really great SlayerBadger!

Aware of how much work and time is needed to bring a module to the final stage, I say here: hats off we're not worthy
lud
Looks stunning - excellent layout and functionality
batchas
Blue's back BugBrand!

ninGiaBoom
Can't tell which colour is better, i like them both.

Looks like very interesting, congratulations for the hard job applause applause applause
BugBrand
batchas wrote:
Blue's back :bugbrand:

Haha - good mod - only detail being the blue buttons on the DDSR.
tron23
love the blues! w00t Guinness ftw!
batchas
BugBrand wrote:
Haha - good mod - only detail being the blue buttons on the DDSR.

Shhhhhh! hihi
Vcoadsr
This is looking great Tom!! Was patiently waiting for the DDSR but then you show all these other goodies ... applause
BugBrand
Here's a rough video:::

I realised it could replace the VCOs in a SynthVoice frame - at least fine for a quick initial play & demo! Dual pinging filters = rhythmic fun.
chrisdermo
Holy crap! hyper
Excellent demo Tom, this is incredibly exciting!
sungja
applause
DickMarker
Thanks for the demo Tom - a clock conveyor belt indeed!
tIB
Am I right in thinking the power for this is different/not compatible with old bugs? I suppose a workaround is to run off its own supply, assuming standalone. Need to figure out a way to best hack this into my bugzclassic setup...
BugBrand
I need to revisit the method, but a couple of nights back I got some very long repeating patterns by feeding data from the left-hand register into the right-hand along with recirculation. I think I was getting something like 14 bars of 8 as a maximum repeat!

tIB wrote:
Am I right in thinking the power for this is different/not compatible with old bugs? I suppose a workaround is to run off its own supply, assuming standalone. Need to figure out a way to best hack this into my bugzclassic setup...

No - works fine. New works fine on the old, but not recommended vice versa.
Vcoadsr
Great little video which I learnt two things.... 1. Pingable Resonant filter that I hadn't even realised that was possible on the synthvoice 2. The DDSR really opens up the synthvoice!!

Looking forward to this!

(Edit: original text got truncated!)
hank
BugBrand wrote:
Here's a rough video:::
I realised it could replace the VCOs in a SynthVoice frame - at least fine for a quick initial play & demo! Dual pinging filters = rhythmic fun.

Neat! I gotta say I really appreciate seeing a DSR implementation with labeled controls w00t
dogoftears
this+my 2x DRM1 (one is expanded) would make a fine performance frame!
BugBrand
Testing - clocking at 20kHz... So it is quite an audio waveshaper too!
dogoftears
BugBrand wrote:

i've made some pretty interesting "wavetables" with the seq1.
are the DAC outputs uni or bipolar?
T. Jervell
Wooaahhh!!! applause SlayerBadger!
BugBrand
dogoftears wrote:

Yeah, Unipolar 0 to +10V.
Will have to do an audio rate demo sometime - there's some interesting results in there, especially if you feed a bit from one side into the data in of the other side.
soup
This looks utterly fabulous.
dogoftears
BugBrand wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

Yeah, Unipolar 0 to +10V.
Will have to do an audio rate demo sometime - there's some interesting results in there, especially if you feed a bit from one side into the data in of the other side.

oh-- morphing harmonics?
cool thing with the seq 1 is you can apply slew per step by flipping the switch to gate a... so you can do some really elegant and complex timbres.

i'm really looking forward to this module... i feel it will turn the bug system into a very capable accompaniment instrument-- one row of bugs with the DDSR sync'd to an elektron box or somesuch-- tons of rhythms to throw on top of everything.
DickMarker
BugBrand wrote:

Was just popping in to ask about this - now doubly excited.
anadeji
cannot wait for this! great work as ever Tom!
chrisdermo
Can the gate outputs be stacked on inputs ok or should we use a mixer?
BugBrand
Yes, all gate outputs now have diodes for passive OR'ing --- though, of course, if you are taking an output to more than one destination you'll have to be careful with the summing because it'll affect all joined parts (does that mouthful make sense?!)
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
Yes, all gate outputs now have diodes for passive OR'ing --- though, of course, if you are taking an output to more than one destination you'll have to be careful with the summing because it'll affect all joined parts (does that mouthful make sense?!)

Yep totally made sense! I have my little DIY diode panel to avoid that if I need it. nanners
/\/\/\/
How are the gates triggered? Are all gates constant amplitude?
BugBrand
The gates are taps from the shift-reg 'conveyor belt' - they're 10V, active when the corresponding step is active.
BugBrand
Found another 'longer pattern' method - using Recirc AND feeding the other tap back into the Data input [ie. this is just done within one side of the DDSR]. Just make sure the tap & recirc lengths aren't the same. This option should have been obvious to me before - it is a very basic form of digital noise generation techniques (would be better with 3 or 4 times longer shift reg)

I also wanted to document the previous Long repeat I mentioned:
Clock both sides with the same clock.
Set a Recirc Pattern on the Left one (eg. 8 length)
Take the Tap from that side over to the data input on the right register.
Now, with the right reg XOR switch set to LO you'll get a following (but independent) pattern - so you can select a different tap compared with the original on the left.
Or if you set XOR to Recirc you get the long repeats - a setting of 7 will give 14 bars (of 8), while 6 will give 6 bars (I think that's right).

Hard to explain it all! Might do more vids sometime. Of course, I also need to do a product listing and instructions sometime, but think that playing is one of the best ways to get the feel!
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
Found another 'longer pattern' method - using Recirc AND feeding the other tap back into the Data input [ie. this is just done within one side of the DDSR]. Just make sure the tap & recirc lengths aren't the same. This option should have been obvious to me before - it is a very basic form of digital noise generation techniques (would be better with 3 or 4 times longer shift reg)

I also wanted to document the previous Long repeat I mentioned:
Clock both sides with the same clock.
Set a Recirc Pattern on the Left one (eg. 8 length)
Take the Tap from that side over to the data input on the right register.
Now, with the right reg XOR switch set to LO you'll get a following (but independent) pattern - so you can select a different tap compared with the original on the left.
Or if you set XOR to Recirc you get the long repeats - a setting of 7 will give 14 bars (of 8), while 6 will give 6 bars (I think that's right).

Hard to explain it all! Might do more vids sometime. Of course, I also need to do a product listing and instructions sometime, but think that playing is one of the best ways to get the feel!

I'm going to try this out tonight! I think i've done both of these before but a big part of the fun of playing is that the D/A outs can be fed to so many things that it can often become quite difficult to follow how many beats or bars before a repeat for all the lovely cross modulation! I'll take it back to simples to try these out.
chrisdermo
Got 30mins to myself last night to try out the long repeats patches. Seriously awesome stuff, with the dual method there's so much performability in simply switching the pattern length and xor between lo and recirc on the second register...... let alone changing the cycling bits on the first. Blew my mind!
rowsbywoof
Can’t wait for these to show up in the store. Sounds like proper fun.
BugBrand
rowsbywoof wrote:
Can’t wait for these to show up in the store. Sounds like proper fun.

They're unlikely to for the moment - but I've got some available for people with frame space.
chrisdermo
Some very crappily recorded (phone mic) clips with the grille on drumming duties and DDSR on getting wild duties!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5s9DxguQM/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5sY3nARLQ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk5rcE_AWg2/

Lots to explore with this combo, going to try again for a proper video as soon as it's not a million degrees in my flat!
a100user
I missed the postman on Saturday so it'll have to wait until later in the week :(
BugBrand
Another fun patch to try::::

Audio rate clock.
Set XOR switch to Recirc.
- the Recirc Tap then gives audio rate divisions.
- listen to a Gate output for squarewave, or take a D-to-A for something a bit more harmonic.
Now - plug a sub-audio gate (eg. clock division or rhythm) into the Data input. Each time a gate occurs it kind of re-seeds the D-to-A waveform.

The results are very nice! It can sometimes sound slightly vocally even.

Will try to do a demo vid or recording later.
T. Jervell
Wanted to try this out, so made a quick and dirty video. I hope Tom will make a better one, as I just did this 5 minutes before I had to drive my children to the beach.....
Oh and BTW, the Chirper osc are hardwired to the DDSR’s inputs via the bud hence, no patch cables... SlayerBadger!
I also mix in osc 2 and the filter after a while. All driven by the DDSR.
sungja
Thanks for the patch tips Tom, will have a go at this patch tomorrow.

Trond, how are the ddsr hardwired to the chirper? Maybe i will have to look into this someday soon.
T. Jervell
sungja wrote:

Trond, how are the ddsr hardwired to the chirper? Maybe i will have to look into this someday soon.

You’ll have to ask Tom. It was his idea, and he also did the wiring. cool
chrisdermo
sungja wrote:

The DDSR has 'bus' clock inputs on the back that are associated with the switch bus/off/ext (clock input jack) on the front panel. Shouldn't be too hard to wire up.
BugBrand
New thread for such details....
(but needs pics!)
DickMarker
Just got one - thanks Tom.

It's been a while since I last had one, I had forgotten how inscrutable shift registers can be - this weird quality that appears almost random but you know they're working on some logic you haven't quite figured out yet!

Really fascinating alongside the Synthvoice with it's rota of quite standard, familiar modules and then you chuck this crazy cat amongst the pigeons. The audio rate patch mentioned above is great.
BugBrand
Thanks Mark & this is good to hear!
I absolutely agree on the play fight that is their behaviour - this module has a balance of understanding and surprise which is something I really like in electronic music systems.

Still need to kick myself to do another vid!
radams
Will the DDSR do “arabesque “ patterns in a similar way that the Serge ASR does?
BananaPlug
It's not the same idea. An ASR has multiple delayed-by-one outputs of the input. But these shifters derive A/D outputs based only on which bits are set. You can mess with the bits or you can let them recirculate unchanged. The D/A outputs will change accordingly and compared to ASR, that's a more indirect way to generate CVs. It's not random, but it's abstract enough for serendipity to be part of the charm.
radams
BananaPlug wrote:
It's not the same idea. An ASR has multiple delayed-by-one outputs of the input. But these shifters derive A/D outputs based only on which bits are set. You can mess with the bits or you can let them recirculate unchanged. The D/A outputs will change accordingly and compared to ASR, that's a more indirect way to generate CVs. It's not random, but it's abstract enough for serendipity to be part of the charm.

Thanks for the info Rockin' Banana!
BugBrand
Yeah, the D-to-A is kind of a bonus generation from the Digital Shift Register.

Both types of shift register is like a chain of buckets (yep, BBD-ish) where each time a clock occurs, the contents gets passed along the chain, but:
Digi-shift - each stage can either be on or off
Analogue-Shift-Register - each stage can be any voltage - they're all Sample & Holds.

A dual quantizer would go very nicely with the DDSR! Imagine triggering them with different taps and feeding them with different D-to-A signals... Don't get me tempted! (what I really want to do is a dual Sonic Potions Penrose - sometime....)
dogoftears
BugBrand wrote:

Both types of shift register is like a chain of buckets (yep, BBD-ish) where each time a clock occurs, the contents gets passed along the chain, but:
Analogue-Shift-Register - each stage can be any voltage - they're all Sample & Holds.

A dual quantizer would go very nicely with the DDSR! Imagine triggering them with different taps and feeding them with different D-to-A signals... Don't get me tempted! (what I really want to do is a dual Sonic Potions Penrose - sometime....)

what's interesting is that the DDSR produces such musical intervals without any quantization! SR's are so f'in weird, i'm completely lost in this module.

the 3 things that come to mind when I use those DA outs--
quantization would be nice
slew would be nice
attenuation would be nice-- they have a huge 10 volt range.

slew would really take it to a new level IMO.

what kinds of things do you guys like to feed to the data input? i'm just using one of the VCO outputs from the synth voice atm.
radams
BugBrand wrote:

Thanks Tom
I think I get the gist of it now.
I do have one of the Barton dual quantizer you made up a while ago.
Am I correct in remembering that it only has a +5 volt range or is it a full +10?
Thanks
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
(what I really want to do is a dual Sonic Potions Penrose - sometime....)

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
BananaPlug
DDSR in the house. Just getting started. hyper
Here's something driving DRM, a low SVF and Batcha's RM. The various RM percussion sounds are selected by taking bits of DDSR to the inputs of a CLK2A! I'm just letting it run by itself then fading out the three voices. Seems like there's a ton of room for synced beats spiced with enough wonkiness to keep them interesting.

Another one: 20180718-A44-DDSR-contd

Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
Fun patch based using DDSR and a 2bitbinmux to produce stereo acid sounds via the CoF individual outs - low panned centre, mid and high are hard left/right with mid inverted. scrotum labs grille + radio music in use too for drum duties. Don't forget to use headphones!

if anyone wants to hear the full 9min or so take it's on soundcloud (embedding won't work?)
http://www.soundcloud.com/dermo/bugbrand-spatial-acid-rhytmic-jam-uned ited-take
BugBrand
radams wrote:
I do have one of the Barton dual quantizer you made up a while ago.
Am I correct in remembering that it only has a +5 volt range or is it a full +10?
Thanks

Oops - missed replying.
Yes, the Barton is 0 to +5V I'm 99% sure from memory.
It isn't the most accurate design, but I remember it being fun & OK.
As with many simple quantizers it could benefit from attenuation / mixing (and/or offset) at the input so you get more control over where abouts your are within the scale limits.
BugBrand
I just posted a first version of instructions to the original post

[let's see if this link works for downloading it direct - yup, think so...]

I'll be shouting out to a few of you now that a few more DDSRs have been built...
jimmie
Those videos are very nice! and I'm broke Dead Banana Dead Banana
BananaPlug
I love the way you can inject an occasional pulse through the Data input and cause a little craziness to happen. These generative examples are all about a minute and not very different. I was just playing around with small variations. Made from DDSR, some SEQ related stuff, DRM, a pile Blacet, etc.
DDSR-Blacet-rough-A
Slightly better tuned version (mildly excruciating)
DDSR-Blacet-rough-B
Yet another round
DDSR-Blacet-rough-C

hmmm..... I wonder if we should have separate threads for DDSR Q&A and examples of what we're doing with it?
fredguy
I parked the DDSR next to a matrix mixer and run the 4 d/a outs into the
mixer, two of the mixer outputs into the DDSR data inputs. The mixer also
limits the output voltages when feeding a Barton quantizer, filter pinging etc.

Endless musical variations on tap.

w00t
lud
Great video Chris and a lovely set up!

chrisdermo wrote:
Fun patch based using DDSR and a 2bitbinmux to produce stereo acid sounds via the CoF individual outs - low panned centre, mid and high are hard left/right with mid inverted. scrotum labs grille + radio music in use too for drum duties. Don't forget to use headphones!

if anyone wants to hear the full 9min or so take it's on soundcloud (embedding won't work?)
http://www.soundcloud.com/dermo/bugbrand-spatial-acid-rhytmic-jam-uned ited-take
batchas
chrisdermo wrote:

Listening with a big smile on my face screaming goo yo
lud
Thanks for the DDSR manual Tom, some great information and patch ideas in there. Loving the module, pure fun!
chrisdermo
THanks batchas and lud! Going to try expand on these ideas soon and try find a way to alter the grille patterns in a controlled way - may just need to get more hands on with the knobs!

DDSR manual is superb, good to be reminded of things like clock division!
Vcoadsr
Received my DDSR on Saturday - first play around yesterday, still trying to get my head around the lo/hi interactions between the two channels on each side.... but it really has opened up the synthvoice for me!

https://instagram.com/p/Bl0h7scjU_O/
T. Jervell
chrisdermo wrote:

Very cool Chris! Now I’ve got GAS for the COFilter again.... hihi
dogoftears
question
so the DA outputs are 0-10 v.
does the data input like to see a bipolar or unipolar signal to output a full range of values? i mostly feed it an oscillator, but maybe i should try a looping EG.
BananaPlug
The data inputs are just high or low. The exact level doesn't matter much, just whether it's over a threshold of (I'm guessing) about a volt. There's a somewhat de-cluttered diagram in the first post. "Comp" means "comparator."
BugBrand
^^^Exactly.
& Data is only sampled when a clock event occurs - just samples low (below c.+1V) or high (above c.+1V)
/\/\/\/
BugBrand wrote:

I'm also wondering how the steps are summed...

Taking the output which sums 4 steps for example, how might the output look for various inputs? Is it simply 0, 2.5, 5.0, 7.5, 10 V?
DickMarker
That manual is great, really helps to breakdown what's going on in the DDSR - I started mucking around with the digital noise generation patch last night, lots of great tones to be had.
BananaPlug
The more I play with it the more impressed I am by the DDSR's ability to provide so many useful CV and gate outputs. Here's a post where without much fuss it runs three sound sources and manages to be pretty musical and non-boring.
It's peanut butter jelly time!
fredguy
DDSR fun with DRM and SEQ1 sequenced SYN2c.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/op-ed[/s]
chrisdermo
fredguy wrote:
DDSR fun with DRM and SEQ1 sequenced SYN2c.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/op-ed[/s]

This is awesome! Have listened a few times now thumbs up
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:
The more I play with it the more impressed I am by the DDSR's ability to provide so many useful CV and gate outputs. Here's a post where without much fuss it runs three sound sources and manages to be pretty musical and non-boring.

As is this! Thought I'd already expressed my enjoyment of this one but evidently not.
BugBrand
Hmm, I thought I'd replied to say NICE WORK too..
tron23
BugBrand wrote:
Hmm, I thought I'd replied to say NICE WORK too..

Same here, been listening to the examples while waiting for the DDSR. Guinness ftw! to all the Bug family.
BananaPlug
Edited with new stuff 11/13 It's peanut butter jelly time!
Self running except for a knob change on the DDSR at 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30.

DDSR sample: Rhythmic 2row

An older one: Rhythmic 2row
BananaPlug
12/7
I've been rearranging modules and getting familiar with a new/old minisynth to use them as addons to my portable system. The rows in the previous post have been cut down to one. It brings the DDSR and a sound source or two to the portable's Chirper and other stuff.

Here's a short taste in which the portable is silent but provides timing signals. DDSR plays a Buggified E350 and Anushri's lovely mossy noise floor and crunchy beats keep things pulsing along.

Sound

Another piece of the puzzle is a skiff for mixing and routing. Guinness ftw!

12/8 EDIT:
Same basic setup with a quantizer and the DDSR might be patched differently. Has a sparse glitchy blues vibe. I think the noise that leaks into Anushri's drums helps sell the E350's organ sounds. Could use some reverb. Maybe next time.
More Sound It's peanut butter jelly time!

12/9 EDIT:
Here is a first encounter between Chirper and this rhythmic row. Rough but has moments that work. The last minute is just the groove with no Chirper.

Even More Sound

First impressions are that combining Chirper with the clocked, quantized rhythm is something like emulsifying oil and water. They don't mix but they make salad dressing. The DDSR's on/off bit outputs become useful cv to the Chirper oscillators. I'm not even going to try tuning Chirper to the steppy melody but harmony is fair game. Using effects differently helps keep these busy sounds distinct in the mix.

More to come. It's peanut butter jelly time!
batchas
BananaPlug wrote:
First impressions are that combining Chirper with the clocked, quantized rhythm is something like emulsifying oil and water. They don't mix but they make salad dressing.

Flashback reading this.

Another music in a different kitchen.

This is the title which comes to mind. It's from a Buzzcokcs LP I bought in London when it came out.

BananaPlug wrote:
More to come. It's peanut butter jelly time!

SlayerBadger!
batchas
batchas wrote:
This is the title which comes to mind. It's from a Buzzcokcs LP I bought in London when it came out.

Pete Shelley died a few days before I wrote this post. Discovering this only today Dead Banana
RIP.
BananaPlug
Back into rhythmic stuff and finding a nice balance of clocky DDSR timing with looser Chirper synced oscillators and synced LFOs.
LISTEN

T. Jervell
BananaPlug wrote:
Back into rhythmic stuff and finding a nice balance of clocky DDSR timing with looser Chirper synced oscillators and synced LFOs.
LISTEN

I like, very much!! Nice work, lovely wonky rhythms nanners
knittingram
Will this be a separate module or only part of the forthcoming clock box?

Excited either way.
BugBrand
Available as module - I have stock on the shelf currently!
knittingram
hmmm..... hihi hyper
BananaPlug
With so many interestingly related outputs, DDSR is pretty deep.
Simple building blocks spinning off to places you never expected.
Here's a tidy two row combination I came up with on the weekend and am liking a lot.

The patch has DC mixer and Quantizer "re-volting" DDSR stairsteps. Binary Block Voltage adds some accents to vary the pattern. DRM is beating on sixes, low in the mix. There's lots of playable variation from the two interleaved voices in the SynthVoice. Just scratching the surface.
LISTEN
nanners
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:

nanners

Thoroughly enjoyed that BananaPlug! Took a while to get round to listening but well worth the wait.
BananaPlug
One more... LISTEN
Same two row setup as above plus Chirper based percussion from my trusty euro/frac two row system. Minimal playing here, just doling out the groove.
Drums! nanners
BugBrand
Nice bits! Does the old Quant give it that slideyness?
BananaPlug
re. slideyness - There's a little bit of slope on everything but those woops do appear to come from the QNT1 (driving 3 loads doesn't help).
Here's the path:
DDSR D/A outs & CLK2A (division) outs -> mixin UTL4 DC Mixer
^That happens twice (dual modules)
The two mix outs are quantized by dual QNT1 and drive various Synth Voice 1V/o inputs.
Are there any frac builds of O&C? hmmm.....
BananaPlug
More adventures with rhythmic stuff based on Clock divisions, DDSR and syncing Chirpers.

The left rows are my usual portable system. On the right is one row of rhythm generating frac (after lots of drop/add) and SynthVoice. The routing and mixing for use in the four row setup is still a work in progress. Thinking about other quantizers and it might be time for a standalone mixer.

hank
The DDSR is a lot of fun! Got mine racked up today and it's gonna take a lot more exploration to figure it out.

One half (via D/A output) controlling the VCO clocking both sides led to some interesting (one might even say BRRTing) results.
BananaPlug
I've been in Chirper land for a while but am back to automatic rhythmic stuff. I'm trying to not over complicate the DDSR patch and accept that full range stepped voltages need to modulate things without a full complement of scaling, quantizing and S&H helping them along.

Today's combo is centered on the DDSR. There's a master clock an LFO and 13fu of stuff: Dual Divide, Logic, DDSR, Dual Filter, Dual Amplifier, DRM1, PRC-3A (SVF). Both sides of the DDSR have the same clock and the tap output of the left half feeds the data input of the right half but no data goes to the left half. DRM isn't doing anything fancy at all but provides sanity against two twitchier filter based voices. One of those is in series with PRC-3A for additional flavor. The wonderful new Logic module is in full use. A fantastic tool.

Here's audio minus any wiggling though there are a fair amount of reversible ways to fool around in this jam. I need to spend some time with it. Generally after changing knobs and things on the DSSR I can get back to what I had earlier but I screw up sometimes.
Dead Banana

LISTEN

The next phase is to add a Grilles and let the DDSR patterns cut across the comfortable Grilles mapped patterns or maybe run DDSR much slower, using it to control longer variations. Aiming for a best of both worlds situation and looking forward to trying the DDSR D/A outs to modulate the Grille.
BananaPlug
Tough choice which thread to put this in but it's a simple application of the DDSR and I don't have many of those.

LISTEN
Quick demo via the builtin mics of my little recorder.
syncretism
So, I’m still trying to suss this; if I have the recirculation knob on 1, I can’t use this as a simple sample and hold, because the voltages produced aren’t what’s actually received by the “data” input?
BananaPlug
Syncretism,

There's no sample and hold. For one thing there is no analog input for it. The "Data" in is compared to get a 1 or 0 bit. The four D/A outputs are binary sums of some of the bits in the shift register.

There's a block diagram and a pretty good explainer video in the first post of this thread.
syncretism
Yeah, I saw the comparator and initial post, as well as the explanation that it's not meant to be an ASR; it's just not quite sinking in without actually messing with it, I suppose. I also need more s&h capabilities, so I was kind of hoping against hope for the extra feature. wink

Thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 6