MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Got a DSI MEK today.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Got a DSI MEK today.
Nelson Baboon
dkcg wrote:
I meant quite the opposite. That it wasn't deep enough in the complexities for how a very experimental user would use it. I think if the PEK did what you wanted, I'd have almost no time left for any other synths with all the voices and subsets of control within the voices.


oh...well, judging by the mono evolver, i think that it certainly would be complex enough. It has a decent enough sequencer, and pretty good mod routings, and the sound can be torn apart pretty nicely, as I recall. Adding the polyphony to it would be pretty nice.

I was also thinking that because (I think) communication with the soundtower editor was bidirectional, it might be possible to save the multimbral state of the machine even though it can't be saved on the machine itself.

damn. now I find myself really wanting a pek, and I can't afford one. looks like the going price is somewhere a bit over $2,000.

(thinking) - maybe someone would trade for a matrixbrute + some fx.
dkcg
Nelson Baboon wrote:
I was also thinking that because (I think) communication with the soundtower editor was bidirectional, it might be possible to save the multimbral state of the machine even though it can't be saved on the machine itself.

damn. now I find myself really wanting a pek, and I can't afford one. looks like the going price is somewhere a bit over $2,000.

(thinking) - maybe someone would trade for a matrixbrute + some fx.


I bet you could use some sort of external sysex preset system, sounds like something perfect to do Max if the soundtower won't do it.

Maxibrute plus some enticing not easily available, but not an arm and a leg effect would be pretty enticing if I had a PEK and was bored with it for some reason.

$2k was too rich for my blood. I was feeling a little nostalgic for the desktop, but always wanted the knobbiness of the MEK. Maybe a MEK and a desktop or two or three could get you enough of the PEK, and the ability to modular sell it off if you find it's more than you want. I'm gonna start being on the lookout for a rack, but they're all around $2k as well...I'd just get a PEK at that point.
Sinamsis
Nelson Baboon wrote:
dkcg wrote:
I meant quite the opposite. That it wasn't deep enough in the complexities for how a very experimental user would use it. I think if the PEK did what you wanted, I'd have almost no time left for any other synths with all the voices and subsets of control within the voices.


oh...well, judging by the mono evolver, i think that it certainly would be complex enough. It has a decent enough sequencer, and pretty good mod routings, and the sound can be torn apart pretty nicely, as I recall. Adding the polyphony to it would be pretty nice.

I was also thinking that because (I think) communication with the soundtower editor was bidirectional, it might be possible to save the multimbral state of the machine even though it can't be saved on the machine itself.

damn. now I find myself really wanting a pek, and I can't afford one. looks like the going price is somewhere a bit over $2,000.

(thinking) - maybe someone would trade for a matrixbrute + some fx.



There's one on Reverb for $1650. Sounds like something fishy is going on with the keybed though. No one would be happier than me if Nelson Baboon gave in to the wiles of Dave Smith. You guys are making me really miss the Evolver too. Ha, but I'm not giving in. Prophet 12 is close enough for me, and has a much better UI. Only bitimbral, but that's good enough for me. I fight the urge to not fill the studio with DSI synths. There may be better sounding synths out there, but the DSI stuff is never lacking in features. The Prophet 12 for example... I've never seen another polysynth that lets you slew the LFOs. That degree of control is amazing. In general, 4 LFOs and 4 envelopes, all freely routable is amazing.
stikygum
dkcg wrote:
I'm gonna start being on the lookout for a rack, but they're all around $2k as well...I'd just get a PEK at that point.


I just don't understand the price of the PE rack. I think most people that have a PER also have PEK. The PER is terrible to edit. It's amazing that people think just the size alone is worth it, but that's partly due to the (I think) more limited units of the PER than the PEK.
Sinamsis
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with Evolver prices these days. I thought they were dropping with the Prophet 12 being released, and thought to myself that I'd buy a PEK when it dropped to closer to $1000. Ha looks like I'll never see that day.

And yes, the PER is a nightmare to program. I had an MEK connected to a PER for 5 voices. It was just right in terms of voice count. And a pretty compact set up. Without the MEK I would've never bothered. I'll assure you I sold the PER for a lot less than $2000. But yeah, they don't pop up too often.
adnauseam
dkcg wrote:
Speaking of DSI feedback, I wonder if this euro modules is basically some sort of insert type module to get similar feedback lines/character.

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/dsm03-feedback-module/


It"s not! Not at all... I had one but ditched it. The module design is a neat idea but poorly executed. I had hopes but they were crushed.

The filter is poorly placed directly after the input, not after the delay section. I believe this is the main reason it didnt sound nice for me. Ivspent hours twiddling and never found it provided the same experience.

Im quite happy to now own my fourth evolver. Had the desktop first, sounded cool. Upgraded to the keyboard. Got the Poly rack. 2 issues: the MEK's signal is way hotter than the poly. DSI points this out in the manual. Secondly the poly's multi mode editing is non existant. Big shame. 3 years later Im back to a desktip for simplicity and cost reasons. Really lovibg it. Will eventually get a P12.
dkcg
One question for you evolver owners. Can I simply use a 1/4 cable from the headphones to get a summed signal into my modular? Or do I stand a chance of shorting something out and I should just get a TRS to RT/LF adapter?
stikygum
Sinamsis wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with Evolver prices these days. I thought they were dropping with the Prophet 12 being released, and thought to myself that I'd buy a PEK when it dropped to closer to $1000. Ha looks like I'll never see that day.

And yes, the PER is a nightmare to program. I had an MEK connected to a PER for 5 voices. It was just right in terms of voice count. And a pretty compact set up. Without the MEK I would've never bothered. I'll assure you I sold the PER for a lot less than $2000. But yeah, they don't pop up too often.


Yeah, I guess I refer to some of the silly sellers at 2K, but usually see PERs actually sell for less than $1300, which still seems like a lot to me. Though I think also PEKs can be had for much less these days.

A lot of people say they will be classics, but the PEK does have some flaws that have already been mentioned. And I feel DSI will make a newer Evolver type synth at some point, which I feel if done right, will be the pinnacle of DSI and drive the PEK prices down further. I liked my PEK a lot, but I felt when I sold it that the next Evolver type DSI synth will be much better executed and possibly obliterate the old design.
adnauseam
dkcg wrote:
One question for you evolver owners. Can I simply use a 1/4 cable from the headphones to get a summed signal into my modular? Or do I stand a chance of shorting something out and I should just get a TRS to RT/LF adapter?


I don't recommend.

If you take a mono 1/4" from one or the other L / R outputs and adjust the Output Pan parameter. On the desktop that's Row 4 Column 7.

With the output pan on "center" or some setting equivalent to that both channels/filters are summed and sent evenly to both outputs.

Modulating that parameter with an LFO is really fun and can really breath some life into a patch.
Sinamsis
stikygum wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with Evolver prices these days. I thought they were dropping with the Prophet 12 being released, and thought to myself that I'd buy a PEK when it dropped to closer to $1000. Ha looks like I'll never see that day.

And yes, the PER is a nightmare to program. I had an MEK connected to a PER for 5 voices. It was just right in terms of voice count. And a pretty compact set up. Without the MEK I would've never bothered. I'll assure you I sold the PER for a lot less than $2000. But yeah, they don't pop up too often.


Yeah, I guess I refer to some of the silly sellers at 2K, but usually see PERs actually sell for less than $1300, which still seems like a lot to me. Though I think also PEKs can be had for much less these days.

A lot of people say they will be classics, but the PEK does have some flaws that have already been mentioned. And I feel DSI will make a newer Evolver type synth at some point, which I feel if done right, will be the pinnacle of DSI and drive the PEK prices down further. I liked my PEK a lot, but I felt when I sold it that the next Evolver type DSI synth will be much better executed and possibly obliterate the old design.


I think the ideal would be taking the prophet 12 and using the Pro 2 filters (Proohet 6 and SEM) and some of the Pro 2 features like the flexible routing of oscillators to filters. Gated sequencer. And more parts in terms of its multitimbral features. Haha. Don’t know that we’ll ever see that.
tIB
I always thought multiple desktops was the way I'd go (rather than the pek). I may revisit this plan one day... great synth.
Sinamsis
tIB wrote:
I always thought multiple desktops was the way I'd go (rather than the pek). I may revisit this plan one day... great synth.


The ability to chain units is an awesome feature. But managing 4 stereo pairs really turns me off haha. Regarding the MEK with the PER, there is definitely a discrepancy in output. But I found it manageable.
de_raaf
First synth I bought new when it came out still love, although no fm on the analog osc, you kind get more clangy sound when you put an lfo just before its max, sounds best with more tight sequencing,, also the 2 pedal inputs, can be used for cv, and can be routed to different stuff if you want, kind like to use my blippoo rulers on it, though something like you can also do with random lfo on high rate and modulate with another, 4 pole filter is great with its rescan ce for that etc, 2 pole I like less, maybe a bit tame, but good if you use the mek with a back end of modular filters, vca etc
dkcg
There's a PER on reverb...I had it in my shopping cart, but can't justify a $1400 purchase. Best price I've seen in a few years, but then again I only started semiseriously looking recently.

If anyone's interested....buy it before I lose my will. thumbs up
Struggle
dkcg wrote:
There's a PER on reverb...I had it in my shopping cart, but can't justify a $1400 purchase. Best price I've seen in a few years, but then again I only started semiseriously looking recently.

If anyone's interested....buy it before I lose my will. thumbs up



Mind the serial # on the PERs as a earlier version could possibly require a chip update in order to polychain.
dkcg
Struggle wrote:
dkcg wrote:
There's a PER on reverb...I had it in my shopping cart, but can't justify a $1400 purchase. Best price I've seen in a few years, but then again I only started semiseriously looking recently.

If anyone's interested....buy it before I lose my will. thumbs up



Mind the serial # on the PERs as a earlier version could possibly require a chip update in order to polychain.


It was gone when I went to look at it again last night...

And I almost bought a desktop one...but I gave myself a new hobby, looking for cheap rack evolvers.

but good to know about the chip update.
Nelson Baboon
My desire for a pek has waned a bit, but not because I don't think I'd enjoy one now.

I did pick up a p12 desktop (forget if i mentioned in this thread) on Reverb for a great price, and am really quite thrilled with it at the moment. The sound quality is better than I had remembered, etc, etc, and i think that it covers much of the ground of the evolvers (minus the sequencers, but with incredibly comprehensive modulation routings). and those 4 delays with modulation are really nice....

I also think that the ui for the desktop is designed really well. One of the best interfaces I've seen, actually, for a complex desktop synth.
Sinamsis
Nelson Baboon wrote:
My desire for a pek has waned a bit, but not because I don't think I'd enjoy one now.

I did pick up a p12 desktop (forget if i mentioned in this thread) on Reverb for a great price, and am really quite thrilled with it at the moment. The sound quality is better than I had remembered, etc, etc, and i think that it covers much of the ground of the evolvers (minus the sequencers, but with incredibly comprehensive modulation routings). and those 4 delays with modulation are really nice....

I also think that the ui for the desktop is designed really well. One of the best interfaces I've seen, actually, for a complex desktop synth.


Agreed, the desktop UI actually is pretty good considering how many fewer knobs it has. That big display with contextual menus is fantastic. That said, I had downsized from the keyboard to the desktop, and recently went back. They keyboard is just a beautiful instrument. I really missed the sliders to.

I really wish I could play a P12 side by side with a PEK to convince myself that it's close enough. I miss my Evolver. I think if the P12 had the gated step sequencer I'd be less interest in the Evolver line. But yeah, the mod options on the P12 are bonkers.
mome rath
Sinamsis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
My desire for a pek has waned a bit, but not because I don't think I'd enjoy one now.

I did pick up a p12 desktop (forget if i mentioned in this thread) on Reverb for a great price, and am really quite thrilled with it at the moment. The sound quality is better than I had remembered, etc, etc, and i think that it covers much of the ground of the evolvers (minus the sequencers, but with incredibly comprehensive modulation routings). and those 4 delays with modulation are really nice....

I also think that the ui for the desktop is designed really well. One of the best interfaces I've seen, actually, for a complex desktop synth.


Agreed, the desktop UI actually is pretty good considering how many fewer knobs it has. That big display with contextual menus is fantastic. That said, I had downsized from the keyboard to the desktop, and recently went back. They keyboard is just a beautiful instrument. I really missed the sliders to.

I really wish I could play a P12 side by side with a PEK to convince myself that it's close enough. I miss my Evolver. I think if the P12 had the gated step sequencer I'd be less interest in the Evolver line. But yeah, the mod options on the P12 are bonkers.


i find I program more sequence-based stuff using the desktop, and more traditional synthesizer-y sounds on the keyboard


keen to stack 4 desktops if I can collect that many at reasonable prices love
dkcg
Would be cool if the desktop had the Rev2's sequencer in the P12. I started getting more interested in the Pro2 when I found out it's sorta like a mono P12 with a sequencer and some nice outputs on the back.

Here's my temp setup for now. The PRev2 was upgraded to a 16voice. Sounds beautiful. Everything clocked from the Eclipse, controlled from the MEK.

Sinamsis
dkcg
Looks great! Enjoy! Ha sounds like you have the DSI bug. The Pro 2 is more than a voice from the P12. More bells and whistles. It’s has the Prophet 6 LPF and Oberheim style SVF. Some flexibility in routing between oscillators and filters. And it’s paraphonic. I still consider getting one despite owning a Prophwt 12 and Prophet 6. If they made a polyphonic version of the Pro 2 is grab it for sure.
dkcg
Sinamsis wrote:
dkcg
Looks great! Enjoy! Ha sounds like you have the DSI bug. The Pro 2 is more than a voice from the P12. More bells and whistles. It’s has the Prophet 6 LPF and Oberheim style SVF. Some flexibility in routing between oscillators and filters. And it’s paraphonic. I still consider getting one despite owning a Prophwt 12 and Prophet 6. If they made a polyphonic version of the Pro 2 is grab it for sure.


The SVF really caught my eye. And the hybrid oscillators, and all the outputs in the back. Looks like a lot of what I like about the MEK, plus some other stuff, plus some more stuff.

I wish the MEK had one more octave...my pinky keeps hitting the end of the keys when playing the PRev2 with it.
MindMachine
dkcg wrote:
Would be cool if the desktop had the Rev2's sequencer in the P12. I started getting more interested in the Pro2 when I found out it's sorta like a mono P12 with a sequencer and some nice outputs on the back.

Here's my temp setup for now. The PRev2 was upgraded to a 16voice. Sounds beautiful. Everything clocked from the Eclipse, controlled from the MEK.



Can we hear a one note drone? That set-up looks massive.
dkcg
MindMachine wrote:
dkcg wrote:
Would be cool if the desktop had the Rev2's sequencer in the P12. I started getting more interested in the Pro2 when I found out it's sorta like a mono P12 with a sequencer and some nice outputs on the back.

Here's my temp setup for now. The PRev2 was upgraded to a 16voice. Sounds beautiful. Everything clocked from the Eclipse, controlled from the MEK.



Can we hear a one note drone? That set-up looks massive.


I'll give that a try...30 mostly analog, but some digital hybrid oscillators should sound pretty massive...or like mud. hihi


Not a one note drone, but I was tinkering around trying to figure out in the air tonight.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/ibdk/dsibuchlaelektrontest[/s]

And I bought a couple desktop Evolvers...they should be here next week or so. I think I'm done for now...for reals. Dead Banana
MindMachine
^ Sounds great to me - thanks. I also wanted to ask what mixing board is that black and grey deal?

... two more Evolvers? Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group